Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me build my engine.

Warning: Long, loaded with questions.

I'd like your opinions guys. I want to do something engine-wise in a few months time. I would like to stay as cost-conscious as possible, but at the same time, not limit my potential power-wise. I will be staying N/A as I've already invested in a comptech race header..

1. Swap an A2 head that I find for under 1k. This I would like to complement with Type R pistons and or camshafts. If I went this route, I would like to keep part costs under 2k. The camshaft installation would be pretty simple but I think the piston install would be quite intensive. Would it be better to skip the piston installation in favor of the cams (in interest of cost)? I wouldn't have to deal with selling my engine either. I'm leaning towards this right now because I can slowly procure the parts one by one and it has the lowest initial cost.

This option releases a couple questions: How "good" is the A3 block? Will it stand up to 8000 revs/min regularly? Will this swap be reliable? Will it produce good power?

2. Get an A2 head, mate it with a K24 block, keep my 5 speed tranny. I would have the additional burden of selling my engine and storing it in the meantime. Probably the most troublesome option because I'd have to not only track down a good, cheap head but also a good, cheap block. And then have it assembled and installed. The upside being that it would probably produce the most power.

3. Get an A2 engine/tranny swap. Might actually be cheaper than option 1 in the long run, provided that I can get 1500-2000 for my A3. This option has probably the highest initial cost but is probably the most trouble-free as I'm just bolting up another stock Honda motor.

My goals with this step: to be able to hit 13s with not too much more work. Be reliable. Or rather: most bang for the buck (want to be able to secure funds in a couple months...I would love to get a K20a but that would take FOREVER to save up).

I'm looking for the engine gurus on this board to chime in: myeverlovinsir, paynetech, etc. Thanks.
    Last edited by anjapower; 01-26-2004 at 05:51 PM.

ephatch member
    This is a good set of questions... But I am gonna have to go with option 1, but the whole part of the dc-5 pistions would be pretty cost spending... But yes I'd like to hear more on this as well....

-Bump-

-jon

Yes, option one will probably be the smartest!
    But I'm stupid and saving up for a K20A. And I don't care how long it takes me.

You should of thought about turbo.

If it were me, I would do K20a2 with toda kit.

Originally posted by Rey
    I did, didn't want it. I want N/A power.

i-vtec Power
    Hey Bro. why dont you look into super street mag. the have the Skunk2 civic RR the went the same way you can read on it there was a posting on it here someone type the all the process and it wont be under 2k the pistons from the type R generated to much presure they have to work on them to reduced the presure that wont be under 2K unless you have that much skills...but at the end they dyno the car at 210hp to the wheel good look Bro..

go with the straight forward swap. A2 swap, and sell the a3.

far less complications, and depending on market value for the a3, you might come out ahead. toda has released an N2 kit, which is very similar to the Spec A's but are more agressive and produce 10 whp more for the same price. (2300)

That should be all you need right there, other than a clutch/flywheel setup. all bolton's will work. instant 235-240 whp.

head swap is only beneficial if you are going turbo.

Originally posted by Rey

nuff said

Originally posted by 02civicSI
    nuff said
    i second that

yeah do the real deal a2 block/tranny then I would wait for something better than the toda cams. They are great, but it is still so early on in the game for the a2. In the meantime do all the breathing mods on the a2, you will have enough power to hold you over for another year, easily.

Anj, good set of questions...

1. This is what I went back and forth with when making my decision. There seem to be a few heads popping up lately in the classifieds forum for around the 1k price tag your looking to spend. There is also a set of DC5R pistons with Spoon HG right now going for $240 obo shipped. Other things to consider, is valve clearance if you swap cam shafts. In myeverlovinsir a2 head swap post, he mentioned someone who swapped the Toda cams and ran into valve problems because of the lift with a misshift. Now you could say that would have happened anyway, but its still something to thing about. Also, with the increased revs only time how well the unbalanced crank fares. Powerwise with the head swap myeverlovinsir was only putting down 167 whp, which is only about a 10-15 hp increase vs. a similarily moded A3.

2. If your looking for N/A power, its probably your best option shy of a straight A swap, but with the longer stroke, it compounds the problem of an unbalanced crank that you run into with the A3. Something id probably sit on the sidelines for a few years for and see how well they hold up. Also, if you are going N/A, I would highlyl consider swapping in the A2 or A tranny. With their closer gear ratios, it would benefit you much better to keep you in your powerband. Ive read it shaving as much as .2-.3 seconds off your 1040.

3. If your goals are to get into the 13's, a straight up swap is gonna be your best bet. Say you find an A2 for $3500, you are able to get $2000 for your motor and with the boltons you already have, your gonna be runnin high 13's out of the box with only a net investment of $1500! Add to that the piece of mind of having a relatively stock motor and not something you pieced together and its a wrap.

Whatever option you choose im gonna be very interested to see how it turns out and if ya need a hand with anything just dial me up. Best of luck with whatever route you take.

Originally posted by Rey

same here...thats my plan...i wanna do it in a couple of years when i begin to tire of my cay...new engine = almost new car
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:
    2003 Ep3 - K24A1/K20Z3 Hybrid - currently under the knife
    2001 S2000 - Stock and loving it
    1987 Buick T-Type WE4 - The BEAST

im gonna say k20a2 swap.

thanks for the input guys, especially phil. So far everyone is pointing towards the A2 swap. Now its time to start saving. Looks like a lot of ramen noodles for me for the next few months;)

Haha, ramen noodles, college kids meal of choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information