Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Venom Recluse N2O Kit!

Well since my XMas money plans went a little different then planned I'm thinking about buying this small Venom N2O kit. Blaaaaaaaahhhh!!!

Okay after some quick reading/research of nitrous kits, how they work, and what's available... I've decided that the Recluse kit isn't sophisticated or powerful enough for my needs. So I'm going with a Zex dry kit. They run about $600. Not bad for a 50+ HP gain. Yeah you gotta fill up the bottle but it's a 10lb. bottle and the system ONLY activates at wide open throttle. They say that with the average street race lasting 15 seconds or less that you could use it a couple dozen times before resupplying the N2O.

Also for a mean look I'm going to get some gauge pods installed to measure the engine operation. It will make people afraid.... lol. Yeah right. Oh well. Pics soon! ;)

you have to use a wet kit.

I won't even play around. I know nothing about Nitrous kits except what I've read from howstuffworks.com. And from what I've read in a few magazines. I'm not exactly sure why I would need a wet kit but if I need one then that's no big deal. It's only $50 more then the dry kit from Zex. Could you enlighten me as to why I would need a wet kit? I'm genuinely curious and I'm not being an @ss. The more info I can get the better. :D

we have no return fuel line.a dry kit uses this in its setup.i'm not to knowledgable about dry kits but i can tell you about a wet kit since thats what i run.

I've read the sticky on clubrsx.com about nitrous and I'm having trouble deciding wether this setup is safe enough or not. I'm in Northern Cali and in the Summer it gets to be about 110 F here. Not safe for N2O bottles in the trunk so I've heard. Also, I want the smallest shot available since I'm not after monster power. But I'm still debating because I don't know how to use N2O (actual driving with it) I've read about it and it still seems unclear.

This is what I've gathered about how to use it.

1. Open the bottle
    2. Arm the switch
    3. Mash on the gas
    4. N2O comes on at WOT
    5. 15-20 seconds later you remove your foot from WOT so your engine doesn't blow up

Is that correct? Should I NOT use it in any particular gear?

Thanks for your help.

BTW, what kit do you have?

Still Around...
    For the sake of your car, I'm gonna try and point you in the right direction.

1) You WILL blow your car up with a DRY kit.

2) Get the NX (Nitrous Express) wet kit. It's pretty much idiot-proof at low jetting, and works fantastic with K-series motors. And it's only about $600 for a full kit with nothing else to buy. Even comes with a WOT switch, which your obviously interested in.

3) You can have a bottle in ridiculous ambient temps... 110 is nothing. It'll just give you a little more pressure. Just don't forget an "in-car" pressure gauge, and monitor it before you spray. You want between 950-1200 for decent performance. I've had my gauge totally buried before - Prolly 2500 psi, no big deal, there was so much pressure that the solenoids wouldn't function. The bottle comes with a "Burst Disk", so you don't have to worry about anything - The stock NX burst disk bursts at 3000 psi.

4) You can use nitrous in any gear that'll grab.

5) If this is, in fact, not your car, and your dad is paying for it, don't install nitrous without his authorization.

I've learned already that I need a wet kit. The reason I want the Zex kit is because the WOT device is a cpu that taps into your ecu. It's not a mechanical switch under the pedal that can break or shift around.

The car is mine. I'm 23, in the Air Force, and I bought the car in cash. I can mod it as I please :p lol. Sorry just letting you know that this car isn't mommy and daddy's gift to me. It's a gift to myself after working hard for it.

What is the difference in quality of kits between Zex and NX?

So NX or ZEX?

The ZEX one seems better to me via all the Nitrous buyer guides I've read in the mags lately...

ephatch member
    Personally I would not use anything but a NX or NOS brand. If you intend to use anything bigger than a 50shot I'd suggest running direct port for safety. You can get a fuel rail or noszles from NOS that go in front of the injector to ease installation. The n20 companys suggest running no more than 20hp per cylinder on stock setups. And you probably should not spray in 1st because of mad wheel spin, and 5th because it tends to be the weakest gear. Besides after 110mph in our cars is not needed for 1/4 unless you start running 11's lol.

N/X is the best in the business today. But that's my opinion. There installation instructions are idiot proof. There products are top-notch quailty. The Zex kit differs because of the all-in-one box. I can't say anything bad about the ZEX, because i have not owned one.

Still Around...
    I feel much better and safer with the mechanical NX WOT switch (NOS uses the same), instead of an electronic WOT switch. Mechanical switches are much less prone to fail. Just bolt it to the throttle body and never worry about it again.

And NX stuff is guaranteed for life (solenoids, switches, bottle, etc.) for life, no questions asked. And if you're still on the fence, take a look at the difference of the NX noid to the NOS, or Zex noid.... They're about twice as robust.

I can mod it as I please lol. Sorry just letting you know that this car isn't mommy and daddy's gift to me. It's a gift to myself after working hard for it.
    I didn't mean to sound like an ass... Lately, I've just seen and heard a lot of funny stuff about modding (and blowing up) daddy's car. :)

most of the sport compact nitrous kits are 50-75hp which will be fine for a stock k-series motor. dry kits are fine too, the only time a wet kit is required is when you have forced induction, ie turbocharger. forced induction motors tend to like N2O because it cools the intake charge.

ephatch member
    WHOA, hold on there noob you NEVER want to run dry kits on our K series motors NEVER! Only wet or direct port kits NOTHING else. But if you do run a dry kit, film it and let everyone watch what happens! hehehe

Yup! I'd love to see how your going to get the extra fuel when spraying. Please enlighten us all. Like 2k2ep said, please film it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information