Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ephatch member

hooking ipod to a head unit

i got an ipod and i wanted to see if i could hook it up to the car stereo. i went to best buy and they had a kenwood model. i just wnat to see what you all think about it

I have a nomad zen 20gig portable. I just hooked up a cable with a headphone jack on one end and two male RCA connectors on the other end to the Aux inputs on my deck (JVC). Then ran the cable through the unused blank hole next to the shifter. The setup works pretty well.

...i have my ipod hooked up to my stock headunit and i love it...

-Mike:smilem:

Have an older Creative Nomad 20gb Jukebox hooked into my Eclipse headunit. It hooks in via a 1/4" headphone jack. But that is just Eclipses way of doing it. I love it, but since I have gotten Satellite radio (Sirius) I don't listen to CDs or MP3s like I used to.

-=speck=-

you just gotta look at the head unit your going to buy. Make sure it has a line in for the ipod. Get a cable that can plug into the ipod and has the connectors for the head unit and run it through the dash

how did you hook it up to your stock head unit?
    1993 Honda CIVIC SI weekend tire shredder
    1997 Honda CIVIC EX dd status
    2005 Honda ELEMENT AWD EX wifey's
    2003 Honda VTR1000 need for speed
    2007 Honda 400EX/2009 kawi KFX450r off road fun

Originally posted by Black 02 SI
    how did you hook it up to your stock head unit?
    im glad u asked, :winkm:.

ever hear of an auxillary input converter? itz so awesome, itz this thing that plugs into ur stock headunit where the CD changer from honda WOULD go, and out of it 2 RCAs come out, i have those 2 RCAs connected to a RCA to headfonejack plug and that plug goin into my iPod (or laptop, or CD player, or ANYTHING... :smilem: )

coolest thing EVER, workz AWESOME.

This website ( http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/index.html ) has two of them, one made by P.I.E. for 49.95 + shipping, and one made by Blitzsafe for 69.95 + shipping...

i bought the P.I.E. one-- i think the part number is: HONAUX. simple install, great quality piece.

-Mike

PS-lemme know if u want to know or see anything else...

Yeah I wanna do this too. I used to have a lptop setup in my old jeep like this and plan on doing it with the IPod just don't feel like spending $400 on one

Originally posted by Si4U2NV
    im glad u asked, :winkm:.

ever hear of an auxillary input converter? itz so awesome, itz this thing that plugs into ur stock headunit where the CD changer from honda WOULD go, and out of it 2 RCAs come out, i have those 2 RCAs connected to a RCA to headfonejack plug and that plug goin into my iPod (or laptop, or CD player, or ANYTHING... :smilem: )

coolest thing EVER, workz AWESOME.

This website ( http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/index.html ) has two of them, one made by P.I.E. for 49.95 + shipping, and one made by Blitzsafe for 69.95 + shipping...

i bought the P.I.E. one-- i think the part number is: HONAUX. simple install, great quality piece.

-Mike

PS-lemme know if u want to know or see anything else...

wow good info i didnt even notice you did it with the stock unit at first and I have never heard of that before. Now I kinda wish i wouldnt have bought a new cd player :( Oh well I will love my new deck and just have to save and hopefully find a cheap IPod

Originally posted by ATRIOT
    I have a nomad zen 20gig portable. I just hooked up a cable with a headphone jack on one end and two male RCA connectors on the other end to the Aux inputs on my deck (JVC). Then ran the cable through the unused blank hole next to the shifter. The setup works pretty well.
    I just tried this tonight. I have a Pioneer deck with an aux input on the back, so I got a cord at Radio Shack that has two RCA connectors on one end, and a headphone jack on the other. I hooked up the iPod, but when I click "source" on the deck it only switches between Radio and CD :( .

Any suggestions?

you should have an aux selection on your head unit as well. Whats the point of RCA's if you cant switch to em.

that is too dope. show us pics.

Originally posted by shimmy_yaz
    you should have an aux selection on your head unit as well. Whats the point of RCA's if you cant switch to em.
    Well, what I thought was an input was actually an RCA pre-out. My deck has 3 RCA pre-outs, actually. This is it if you want to take a look:

Click here to view

It has IP-Bus system control for connecting CD changers, so do you think there's a way I could use that connection?

You could rig up a FM transmitter, and tune to a blank radio station when you want to listen to your MP3 player, or change out your deck, if you got the cash and wanna upgrade.

ephatch member
    uhm, those FM transmitters are good if you dont want wires. but you sacrifice the quality. It wass sound bad and you sometimes dont get a signal, at least thats what i hear about those things. never would get one. Rather connect it straight to the headunit. =)

As for now, no head unit for me. I asked my dad, who used to instal stereos and stuff, about using the stock cd player to use. And he said it was alright. All i have to do is get the converter that will have RCA outputs, a amp for the new speakers i will be buying. Use the amp and jl sub i have in my closet and a nice stereo system with the use of the ipod. My system will look stock so no one shuold want to steal that thing. heh heh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information