Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

To all that blame the ep transmission

I believe honda is not the one to blame. Sure there are a few bad apples to account for, however I think this is a great tranny. Ask yourself if the tranny did it when you took it off the lot, and then think about the way you drive the car. Most of us probably drive it hard frequently; what it was meant to do.

I just don't understand how everyone has these problems, and mine has none. This also applies to any squeaking etc. My tranny is still as smooth as the day I bought it.

The real reason I think everyone is having problems, is the fact that because of the position, the si synchros may be more susceptible to short/long term damage due to everyone slamming gears. The traditional floor mount might make things a little less strenuous on the tranny when shifting gets harsh. I dunno. It just bugs me that everyone tries to make a petition to get free stuff from honda. (new synchros/trannies)

I know some will say, i've graduated through racing school and I know how to drive. I'm not trying to say that everyone who has tranny problems can't drive, but try and remember that we don't have a racing transmission. We have an aggressively geared 'civic' transmission. Harder shifting is usually slower than a smoother coordinated shift.

Im off the soapbox. Thanks for all who read this far, because it will more than likely stir up a lot of commotion and flaming instead of open-minded delegation and reasoning-- what ep hatch used to be.

-Alex :)

Re: To all that blame the ep transmission

Originally posted by !@#$%
    It just bugs me that everyone tries to make a petition to get free stuff from honda. (new synchros/trannies)

it bugs me that i spend 17,000 on a car that grinds 2nd and 3rd gear(under 10k miles). ive driven mine hard a few times but not any harder than any other honda ive owned and their trannies all lasted at least well over 80,000 before i had any problems..... this is more than ep, its rsx and acura cl also from what i have heard. as well as some people have no problems at all. weird huh

thats just my thoughts tho :)
    Last edited by k20whiteboi269; 02-08-2004 at 07:48 PM.

I've had these problems since the day I took the car off the lot. Maybe your the lucky one in the group because there seems to be more bad ones then good ones.

When I have my cluch foot to the floor and the car will not even go into gear and I try doing this 4 times in a row and the car will not go into gear it is not my fault there. Hell at first I thought it could be me. I am use to having a stick only on the race track not for a daily driver. After I would work with the trans and watch my shifting very close and I would still have the problems I think it is the car. When I called Honda of America they do have problems in this area and one is and I am thinking this might be my car is that there has been air reported in the cluch fluid. When Honda gave my dealer 6 things to check when I bring my car in for service tomarrow I would think there has to be some problem since none of them are inside the trans.

Re: Re: To all that blame the ep transmission

Originally posted by k20whiteboi269
    it bugs me that i spend 17,000 on a car that grinds 2nd and 3rd gear(under 10k miles). ive driven mine hard a few times but not any harder than any other honda ive owned and their trannies all lasted at least well over 80,000 before i had any problems..... this is more than ep, its rsx and acura cl also from what i have heard. as well as some people have no problems at all. weird huh

yea honda has really been dropping the ball on transmissions of late. I had a 88 pelude and it still shifted smoothly. MY ep sometimes finds 3rd hard to engage but 99% of the time it shifts smoothly. I dont race th piss out of it either and never slam the gears even when i drag race ( maybe thats why i lose) <-- granny shifts.
    the lude with 200k+ miles still shifted like a dream.

i drive my car hard most of the time...and i have yet to have this problem for a long time...it happend to me for a couple of days but it went away

I had a 91 Prelude Si...with the B21A motor (Mine didn't burn oil) but after 123k of abuse third gear was starting to get notchy. I don't blame it though, I had i/h/e, tuning and was running a 65 shot of n2o. It was pretty nice car for it's age I still miss it :o

I hope these Si/RSX trannies aren't going to be like the 97+ and 98+ Prelude and Accord automatic trannies. They had A LOT of problems and Honda eventually recalled them...but those were autos. And it took Honda 3 or 4 years to finally recall them. Hopefully this won't be our case, though it seem it may be. There's so many complaints about'em, not just here on EPhatch but on ClubRSX, the two bigger K-series boards. Both the 5-spd and 6-spd trannies :(

Originally posted by civicpimp
    I've had these problems since the day I took the car off the lot. Maybe your the lucky one in the group because there seems to be more bad ones then good ones.
    Then I have to ask the obvious: Why did you even take it off the lot?

I've expressed my opinion on this many times, so I'll just keep it to myself again.

ephatch member
    I took my car in about 2-3 months after i got it just b/c it didn't seem normal(not the buttery smooth tranny i got when i drove it) i never slammed the gears or raced it. i took it with confidence but they just turned it down and said, it's fine.
    the service manager of pacific honda told me, "the transmission would be fine, it's a sports car. you can't really abuse it unless you grind your gears on purpose."
    then i asked him, "if the gears grind or if i have problems, i should come back to you?"
    service manager: "yes"

i don't get why some say we abuse it, they don't have Si on it for no reason. But, then again, there are SOME that don't really know how to drive...

Originally posted by DavidT
    I had a 91 Prelude Si...with the B21A motor (Mine didn't burn oil) but after 123k of abuse third gear was starting to get notchy. I don't blame it though, I had i/h/e, tuning and was running a 65 shot of n2o. It was pretty nice car for it's age I still miss it :o

I hope these Si/RSX trannies aren't going to be like the 97+ and 98+ Prelude and Accord automatic trannies. They had A LOT of problems and Honda eventually recalled them...but those were autos. And it took Honda 3 or 4 years to finally recall them. Hopefully this won't be our case, though it seem it may be. There's so many complaints about'em, not just here on EPhatch but on ClubRSX, the two bigger K-series boards. Both the 5-spd and 6-spd trannies :(
    '97 + Preludes also had problems with the 5 speeds. Most notably 1st, 5th and reverse gear selection.

Originally posted by jandetuning
    '97 + Preludes also had problems with the 5 speeds. Most notably 1st, 5th and reverse gear selection.
    I didn't know that. I've also owned a 2000 Prelude Type SH, I traded my 91 Prelude for that 00 SH. Shifting in the SH was pretty smooth, I traded the SH for my EP3 Si. Shifting in the Si is a lot smoother than in the Prelude SH :D

hmm... interesting analogy... but it seems that im havin more probs w/ grinding gears with this tranny than i ever had with my gsx... and that tranny jus sucked, but it didnt grind like my ep does... anytime i shift fast to second, it grinds, but the same speed and motion goes smoothly when im not revin high... but then again, i might jus need a new clutch... heheh
    Last edited by dofu; 02-08-2004 at 11:25 PM.

ephatch member

Re: Re: To all that blame the ep transmission

Originally posted by k20whiteboi269
    ..... this is more than ep, its rsx and acura cl also from what i have heard. as well as some people have no problems at all. weird huh

yup - my 97 cl had tranny problems, and now the ep :( I think most of us drive aggressively every once in a while, but that shouldn't result in not being able to get into 2nd and 3rd gear every once in a while. At first I thought it was because of how I drove the car, but to hold the clutch down all the way and still not be able to get it into gear is absolutely ridiculous - and I know that I couldn't have driven the car THAT hard

ephatch member
    For as many people who have actually sought out,found and signed the online petitions out for the faulty transmissions in their cars(RSX,Si,ect.),the fault seems to lean towards Honda.

my tranny shifts fine.. i like this tranny a lot more then my old 00Si tranny.. that thing grinded hardcore going into 3rd..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information