Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: To all that blame the ep transmission

Originally posted by !@#$%
    I believe honda is not the one to blame. Sure there are a few bad apples to account for, however I think this is a great tranny. Ask yourself if the tranny did it when you took it off the lot, and then think about the way you drive the car. Most of us probably drive it hard frequently; what it was meant to do.

I just don't understand how everyone has these problems, and mine has none. This also applies to any squeaking etc. My tranny is still as smooth as the day I bought it.

The real reason I think everyone is having problems, is the fact that because of the position, the si synchros may be more susceptible to short/long term damage due to everyone slamming gears. The traditional floor mount might make things a little less strenuous on the tranny when shifting gets harsh. I dunno. It just bugs me that everyone tries to make a petition to get free stuff from honda. (new synchros/trannies)

I know some will say, i've graduated through racing school and I know how to drive. I'm not trying to say that everyone who has tranny problems can't drive, but try and remember that we don't have a racing transmission. We have an aggressively geared 'civic' transmission. Harder shifting is usually slower than a smoother coordinated shift.

Im off the soapbox. Thanks for all who read this far, because it will more than likely stir up a lot of commotion and flaming instead of open-minded delegation and reasoning-- what ep hatch used to be.

-Alex :)
    I've owned 5 other manual cars. (All used POS's) And they all had a smoother tranny than my EP did off the lot.

So what,are we all suffering from the same mass dilusion? I'm sure for a LOT of people this is not their first manual car. From the mere number of people that say this how could you possible make a statement like this?

I'm happy your tranny works fine but you are not the majority that's for sure.

I'm not a race school graduate but it's not rocket science.
    Foot off gas -> push cluch -> move stick. How tough is that?

My EP consistantly clicks and creeks into the gears (1 - 2 is realy bad sometimes and reverse grinds EVERY time).

And as for our "Civic" tranny, I've ridin in MANY a civic that have suffered far more abuse / HP through the stock tranny and still where smoother between the gears.

I don't racecar my EP around either, it's my work/move my son around car. It's always been this way and from what I've read here on the boards taking it in to be looked at is somewhat pointless, so I'm waiting until the day it stops working and I'll take it in under warranty.

Your intitled to you opnion, but I am 100% the EP has some kind of factory problem with the tranny.

It's nice to see how those who don't have these problems think we can't drive...

Sure, that may be the case for SOME but no one should generalize like that. I don't race or abuse my car but I still get the grinding/notchy shifts, with clutch fully depressed and granny shifting at 3k RPM.

MY BABE & EP3= ALL I NEED
    I love my Tranny........ No problems here after 12,000 miles..

my tranny is cool too. no problems in 45k + miles. in this time i've only grinded twice, due to misshifts on my part. i still think that as a whole our trannys are good, we just don't here from the owners that don't have a problem with them. so post up if you don't have a problem guys!

^^ I agree. I've had no problems at all with my transmission. I've got 35000 KM on it. Had the EP for almost 2 years. Grinded 3rd gear (my fault) about 3 times total and still shifts like a champ.

No problems here either.

ephatch member
    My type r and my 03 si have had a hard time to get into first gear
    as did my 00 si,so that I have herd from many honda/acura owners. it isint a problem to take to the dealer as it happens very rarely. but as far as shifting I have been lucky on that point but I did notice
    that shifting in the dash compared to the floor it has taken me a while to shift it as well as my other floor mounted shifters. Maybe
    this could account for some of the troubles that have arisen on the newer si's. my 2cents

Originally posted by fishboy
    my tranny is cool too. no problems in 45k + miles. in this time i've only grinded twice, due to misshifts on my part. i still think that as a whole our trannys are good, we just don't here from the owners that don't have a problem with them. so post up if you don't have a problem guys!

Nothing to major. Does what I ask of it.

Re: Re: To all that blame the ep transmission

Originally posted by savesteve
    I've owned 5 other manual cars. (All used POS's) And they all had a smoother tranny than my EP did off the lot.
    jaydub: "Then I have to ask the obvious: Why did you even take it off the lot?"

So what,are we all suffering from the same mass dilusion? I'm sure for a LOT of people this is not their first manual car. From the mere number of people that say this how could you possible make a statement like this?
    ep3hatchattack: "I love my Tranny........ No problems here after 12,000 miles."
    fishboy: "my tranny is cool too. no problems in 45k + miles."
    ATRIOT: "No problems here either."

I'm not a race school graduate but it's not rocket science.
    Foot off gas -> push cluch -> move stick. How tough is that?
    Ask the people with tranny problems, i guess.

My EP consistantly clicks and creeks into the gears (1 - 2 is realy bad sometimes and reverse grinds EVERY time).
    I'm sorry you got a lemon.

And as for our "Civic" tranny, I've ridin in MANY a civic that have suffered far more abuse / HP through the stock tranny and still where smoother between the gears.
    This is the first yr model for k series motor and trannies. I expected bugs when I bought the car. I am fortunate.

I don't racecar my EP around either, it's my work/move my son around car. It's always been this way and from what I've read here on the boards taking it in to be looked at is somewhat pointless, so I'm waiting until the day it stops working and I'll take it in under warranty.
    Definitely. If it is my fault, I will own up to it. If it really is the design then you can bet, I won't be making petitions and would be calling american honda myself going through each hassle along the way.

Your intitled to you opnion...
    Savesteve: "I am 100% the EP has some kind of factory problem with the tranny."

So are you. :D

Originally posted by Mugen Power
    It's nice to see how those who don't have these problems think we can't drive...

Sure, that may be the case for SOME but no one should generalize like that. I don't race or abuse my car but I still get the grinding/notchy shifts, with clutch fully depressed and granny shifting at 3k RPM.
    Well you must have missed the sentence in the very first post that said, " I'm not trying to say that everyone who has tranny problems can't drive"

*shrug*

i've got 70+ miles on the clock. I slam gears all the time and the car lives at high rpm. I grind gears occasionally, but it'always my own fault.

maybe the people with tranny problems happened to get first up production cars.

I believe mine was manufactured in aug of 2002. Think honda did a little improvement on the models after? Sure, anything is possible.

i bought my car, april of 2002, are my chances greater that i got one of the first models or is it certain?

i am not saying that those with tranny problems don't know how to drive either. i'm just saying that i think this problem isn't as widespread as you guys think. i think they are isolated incidents that appear widespread because they are gathered from the few individuals that experience this problem from across the country and are discussed in this site. i'm sure some may be genuine tranny problems and others are driver error. i'd also like to add that i've been to a few meets and i don't recall anybody asking anybody else if they had tranny problems.

Originally posted by fishboy
    i bought my car, april of 2002, are my chances greater that i got one of the first models or is it certain?

i am not saying that those with tranny problems don't know how to drive either. i'm just saying that i think this problem isn't as widespread as you guys think. i think they are isolated incidents that appear widespread because they are gathered from the few individuals that experience this problem from across the country and are discussed in this site. i'm sure some may be genuine tranny problems and others are driver error. i'd also like to add that i've been to a few meets and i don't recall anybody asking anybody else if they had tranny problems.
    I got mine in may or june of 2002. It has the RSX size struts up front. honda started making changes before august for sure.

I think the breakin is key. poorly breakin practicies can screw the car for life.

Originally posted by chunky
    I think the breakin is key. poorly breakin practicies can screw the car for life. [/B]
    Word, that is VERY true. Not saying you all didn't break in your cars properly but his statement is true :D

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information