Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: car wash

Forreals, never go through those cheap and crappy gas station car washes. They mess up your paint. I wash and wax my car an average of once a month. Lots of people forget, but wash your car when it is cool/cold and in the shade. If you wash your car in the sun while it is hot, streaks are going to happen. Also, never wash your car with laundry detergent. Buy the soap for cars. Lightly wet your car entirely. Don't use no spray hose, just use the regular hose and wet your car. I wash my car one section at a time. First, the hood. Soap and scrub gently. Then wash off all the soap. Next the hood and front fenders, and wash off all the soap. Then the sides and finally the back. I don't like to leave the soap on too long because it will peel off the paint in the long run. By the way, use cold water with the soap. I hand dry with soft cloth towels.

For quite a while, I was washing without a hose at all. I'd fill a bucket with soapy water (car wash detergent, of course) and use it to suds-up the car. Then, I'd dump it out, refill with clear water, and dump that all over the car to rinse, often with a second bucket's worth for good measure.

I was surprised at how quickly I could get a good wash. Plus, the water seemed to flow off the car better when it was just a big mass. Using a hose leaves all these droplets everywhere, and they take longer to dry to get it spot-free.

Since then, I've gotten myself a hose that I can keep in my apartment, and I've been able to do a better job of cleaning the underside (well, what I can reach) and the wheel wells. I'll probably go back to dumping a bucket of water for a final rinse, though.

dam what if i went through the car wash a few times, what should i do to make the paint better, should i just repaint it>?

Originally posted by yellerep3
    dam what if i went through the car wash a few times, what should i do to make the paint better, should i just repaint it>?
    No need to repaint your car if it still looks good. Don't worry too much about it. Whats done is done. Going through a car wash a few times is not goint to kill your paint; in the long run it will scratch it. Stop worrying about the past and worry more about the future. Stop going through car washes and hand wash your car, you'll feel better about it after your done too, trust me.

cant ague there, all im saying is not everyone has time to handwash, well, maybethey do, but not me, i only get the satisifed feelig when iv done a complete good, detailed handwash, ahhhh, nothin beats thatshit, after i run thru the auto, not too bad still have that good feeling of cleaness, just like i said, its not the auto (touchless) u nee to worry about, just drying it, especially if ur shit is black, it wil streak so horribly bad its nt even funny, and that sucks becuase the touchless i go to sure ass hell doesnt get every soec of water, so there is some spots, but again, all it comes down to is time, which all of mine os pretty much eaten now, police academy, 50 hours work, and a girlfriend so iv got shit for tie at the moment :(.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information