Close

Thread: Theft issues?

MarvynDT

Theft issues?

I'm curious as far as the theft issue with the new Si. Has anyone dealt with theft or is it not an issue (yet)? Do you think that the Si will become a theft magnet like the 99-00 Si?

only if they find parts that can be swapped over to a lower model.

Too early to tell yet. I wonder though if the RSX is a target, if it is, then I think the 02 Civic SI will be also due to similar parts.

im scared some dick with a civics gona jack my nice seats

Originally posted by 2k2civicSi
    im scared some dick with a civics gona jack my nice seats
    If they do they are really going to have to want them in their car bad....cause they won't fit in older civics, the si's floor is flat. I'm sure they would fit with some heavy modifications, but why waste your time..

...phone's ringin' Dude.. 02TafWhtSi's Avatar
    yeah I'm really nervous about someone breaking in to my new baby as well - is it true that Honda installed an anti-theft deterrent system where only the key w/ the right coded chip will "start" the engine - you can't even jump start them?

MarvynDT
    Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
    yeah I'm really nervous about someone breaking in to my new baby as well - is it true that Honda installed an anti-theft deterrent system where only the key w/ the right coded chip will "start" the engine - you can't even jump start them?
    I have no idea, but I know they had this feature on the 00-01 ITR's and they were only effective against the amateur thief. It can be easily bypassed.

Originally posted by MarvynDT

I have no idea, but I know they had this feature on the 00-01 ITR's and they were only effective against the amateur thief. It can be easily bypassed.

that wasn't a key,that was a chip in the ECU. just leave your dog in the car. lol!

If that were true - that only MY key can start the engine - I won't have to worry nearly as much.:D Technology is great!

ephatch member
    The 2002 Si/SiR uses Hondas "Immobilizer" system. There's a chip in the key and a receiver ring around the ignition cylinder. If that chip isn't there when you try to start the car, it won't start.

So what does this mean? No ametuer is gonna be able to hot wire your car. A real pro, with an OBD-II scan tool and some good software can crack the immobilizer, but it takes a few minutes. And remember, nothing can stop a flatbed truck :(

But at least its better than nothing:) I wonder if the previous gen. Si had that feature or even the 7th gen. regular Civics.

ephatch member
    Yup, all 7th gen Civics have it. 'Fact, by 2002 model year everything Honda sells came with the Immoblizer. '99-'00 Si/Sirs didn't have it. One reason they're getting ripped off all the time.

oh ok, thanks

Hi folks,
    Looking into obtaining an EP3 to replace my 4x4 obsession (still keeping one), are these North American EP3's a widespread target for theft?

Any new methods of securing the car when parked? I have a few friends with various Type R's/Si's and their parking habits have long been poked fun of but looks like I'll need to adapt a few on my own..

I park in a condo underground and have two spaces, one in a high traffic spot behind a community garage door for resident parking on level 1, and another deep in the crypt of the garage, down 2 additional ramps in P2. Both spots have at least 2-3 cameras, but those are just about useless in a city where cops can't be bothered when insurance will pay out and make the owner whole. Both spots are also next to a pillar, so I suppose I can chain a wheel/tire to the pillar if I'm on vacation.. I have extra rims/tires galore, so I could theoretically chain the fronts to the pillar, and the rears to a stack of wheels/tires as well. I've never owned a highly-sought after (by thieves) car before, somewhat paranoid before I even own the car! It's not that I live in a shady side of town either, but I'm right on top of two major freeways, and I hear vtec going by on the highways, so there's definitely a market for Honda parts in Ontario, Canada.

One potential candidate has lost the OEM steering wheel for a detachable hub and wheel, so that's taken care of (ideally would have loved to keep the airbag and stock wheel).

Electrical kill switches?

Thread Information