Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ive always wondered something. What does it mean when there is a -san after someones name? I asked an asian guy and he got all mad thinking that I thought all asains spoke japanese or something

Originally posted by SubliminalSi
    Ive always wondered something. What does it mean when there is a -san after someones name? I asked an asian guy and he got all mad thinking that I thought all asains spoke japanese or something
    It's similar to Mr. and/or Mrs./Ms..

It's usually used when referring to those who are older than you. It can also be taken as a form of respect.

For example, I'd refer to my teacher as, Yasuka-san instead of Yasuka.

When referring to someone younger than you, you can use kun (for males) or chan (for females). Yasuka-chan/Kazuya-kun.

Also, not every asian in the U.S. can speak their native language. People are often surprised when one speaks more than one language fluently.

Originally posted by SubliminalSi
    Like Donegan said, it's just like "Mr" or "Mrs". There is no gender attached to it. But unlike English, you can attach "san" to their first or last name. If you're talking to someone you don't know very well, it's best to call them by their last name.

If you want to be more polite, you say "sama" instead of "san". I use "sama" when speaking to higher-ups in the company. I usually use "chan" when talking to good friends. For example, I have a friend named Hiroki, but I call him Hiro-chan. It's also genderless, I call ALL my female friends by 'chan'. My ex-girlfriend's name is Haruka, but I called her Hara-chan.

Boku no namae wa Buraiian detsu. Hajimemashide doso yoroshiku.

Originally posted by krazichinaman
    Somebody got a B+ in their first-semester Japanese class at their local Community College.

;)

remote cousin of ae86 tony speed's Avatar
    ok. so, in general conversation, what is used more when addressing the other person, the person's name, or pronouns such as anata and ore.

Originally posted by tony speed
    ok. so, in general conversation, what is used more when addressing the other person, the person's name, or pronouns such as anata and ore.
    It all depends on the person, me personally I use my friend's nicknames when I'm talking to them or about them. When I'm talking to a friend's parents, I refer to them as "Mom" or "Dad" (Okaasan, Otousan, respectively). When I'm talking to or about someone who isn't in my "IN" group, then I refer to them as "(last name)-san"

"Anata" can be rude sometimes depending on context. "Ore" is used when I'm talking to a close friend, otherwise I'll seem kind of juvenile if I refer to myself with 'Ore' when I'm talking to someone I don't know too well. I use "Boku" in those situations. I rarely use "watashi" because it's (in my opnion) kind of feminine.

Rememeber, the way you speak JApanese is totally based on how well you know the person you're talking to and what level of respect (if any) they deserve.

heh I took 3 years of japanese at my highschool...i kinda forgot the rest. I can barely read it now too -_-

Ohio Goziemas!

Watashi wa Graham to mushimasu. Dozo Yoroshiku.
    Last edited by G..; 06-29-2004 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by japanese
    americans should not speak japanese.
    Japanese should not speak english.

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by krazichinaman

Also, Boku is normally used (at least in Okinawa) for the male gender at a younger age. After about 15 or so, watashi can replace it. Watashi is kind of universal. Try learning Hogan (Okinawan). PITA...lol

Quote Originally Posted by japanese
    americans should not speak japanese.
    I'm hispanic but live in America. Am I allowed to learn it?

ephatch member
    No. I just read the rules. Since you are Hispanic, live in America and drive a Japanese import made in England with parts from China, Latin America and countries that have no vowels, you are now required to learn to speak Swahili. Yes, Swahili. Please refer to the user's manual located inside the engine block of your car... :D

*sighs* fiiiine

but before I learn Swahili. You said China, Latin America, and countries that have no vowels, MEANWHILE chInA and lAtIn AmErIcA have vowels in them... now I'm all confused.

and btw is Swahili just type the word except every letter to the right of it to make that word? Like.. "Hi, my name is Sam" would be "Jo, ,u ms,r od Ds,"
    man I'm getting the hand of this.

Dp Givl Upi Hiud

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by k20ImportTuner
    *sighs* fiiiine

but before I learn Swahili. You said China, Latin America, and countries that have no vowels, MEANWHILE chInA and lAtIn AmErIcA have vowels in them... now I'm all confused.

and btw is Swahili just type the word except every letter to the right of it to make that word? Like.. "Hi, my name is Sam" would be "Jo, ,u ms,r od Ds,"
    man I'm getting the hand of this.

Dp Givl Upi Hiud

I meant other than those countries. Those countries are vowel-exceptions... Baka-gaijin...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information