Close

1st legitimate newbie thread...I think

So...

I noticed the other threads in the newbie sections were just making fun of typical newbie questions, so let me be the first to ask a real question (or two or three).

Let me start off by saying that I'm pretty new to the scene and a late bloomer.My 04 Si is the first new car I've ever owned and I love it.

So, spring is fast approaching here in New England and my tax return should be coming in soon, so I was thinking about getting some new wheels to replace the stockies.

I think I want to get some 17s instead of the 16s I have now.

I share the car with my fiance, so I want to keep the same wheel aspect as to not screw too much with the speedometer, and I want summer tires that aren't going to drive like total crap in wet weather. I also would rather have tires that don't wear too too quickly. I would like to get sportier tires but I don't need anything ultra high performance. I know it's a lot of demands, any suggestions?

Also, to keep the same wheel ratio should I go for 205/50/17 or 215/45/17? I don't plan on dropping the car so I thought the 50's might fill up just a little more space. I actually don't think the wheel gap is too bad on the 04 with the 16s it comes with.

Any suggestions for a newb?

Welcome to the board.

How much do you want to spend on wheels/tires? I'd say go for a good
    all season Bridgestone (do they still make the S-03s?) or Michelin
    Pilots if you want a good set of all-season tires. There's a few
    threads in the "Suspension" forum that have some good info on what
    tires are good for what situation. Browse through there (I would
    say SEARCH, but you seem like a good n00b ;) ).

I want to say 205/50s will keep you close to your rolling diameter,
    but that's the case with going from 15->16, so I'm not sure about
    16->17. Where's that wheel diameter chart when I need it...hold on...

Eh, here's a decent tire size conversion thing.

Originally posted by andy
    Welcome to the board.

How much do you want to spend on wheels/tires? I'd say go for a good
    all season Bridgestone (do they still make the S-03s?) or Michelin
    Pilots if you want a good set of all-season tires. There's a few
    threads in the "Suspension" forum that have some good info on what
    tires are good for what situation. Browse through there (I would
    say SEARCH, but you seem like a good n00b ;) ).

I want to say 205/50s will keep you close to your rolling diameter,
    but that's the case with going from 15->16, so I'm not sure about
    16->17. Where's that wheel diameter chart when I need it...hold on...

Eh, here's a decent tire size conversion thing.

what he said... yes, bridgestone does make the s-03s but they wear down pretty fast as they are high performance tires... the pilots are a good choice too. 215/45/17 sounds good, you might want to look into 225's... i'm sure others will chime in here too :)

welcome!

you don't like the new 16s ... they are a big improvement over the 15s on the 2002 and 2003 eps.

Originally posted by CaTiRo
    you don't like the new 16s ... they are a big improvement over the 15s on the 2002 and 2003 eps.
    I like the 16s, I just like 17s better ;)

Still Around...
    Here's a super cool Tire Calculator that I've been using for years. It has a graphic display of the size of the tire, and the percentage off that the speedo will be. Props to the Miata guys!

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar
    Hmm....well, seeing as though you're another MA driver like myself why don't you keep the stockies for the winter and get a great set of summer tires for the 17's? It seems to make more sense and will allow you to get a better summer tire. It's easier to switch the rims for the seasons and a more sensible approach to your pocket as each set of your tires will only spend part of the year on the road.
    Last edited by oogy-boogy; 03-11-2004 at 02:23 PM.
    Mel

Originally posted by oogy-boogy
    Hmm....well, seeing as though you're another MA driver like myself why don't you keep the stockies for the winter and get a great set of summer tires for the 17's? It seems to make more sense and will allow you to get a better summer tire. It's easier to switch the rims for the seasons and a more sensible approach to your pocket as each set of your tires will only spend part of the year on the road.

Yeah that's totally my plan, I guess I didn't word my original post clear enough. I said:

Originally posted by quincy04si
    I want summer tires that aren't going to drive like total crap in wet weather
    Anyway I think I'm going to go more for a grand touring tire rather than a super high performance, so the ride will be a little more comfortable and I'll have less wear. After some research I think I'm going to buy the Kumho Ecsta KH11 as opposed to something like the 712s.

I think I'm going to go for the 205/50 tire rather than the 215/45s because they have just a little more tire to them and the pot holes are horrible here in Quincy. Am I wrong in doing this? opinions?

Smile Tire size?

Try to go to yahoo.com and check tire plus sizing, you should be able to see what tire size to use not to mess up with your speedometer. I use 215/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3( PRETTY GOOD TIRES) Ultra High Performance Summer Tires.

The new superstreet is pretty good if u can still find the april edition. they have a list of all the new rims & tires on the market right now. ;)

Hey quincy04si what part of quincy do you live in?
    I live in north quincy. and around me there are two other si's like 2houses away. maybe we can get a minimeet or something

I live about a mile away from the Quincy Center Station near 3A.

I've only seen one Si in the area-- once I briefly saw a white si with a body kit, or at least just a modded rear bumper on 3A.

I'd be down to meet up sometime. I just started a second job so it might be tough to set a time though.

Hey, while i have you reading this-- I was thinking about buying rims at Pro-Spec, do you have any experience dealing with them? And also I just ordered a Renova wing that needs to be painted and installed--any suggestions on a good shop to use?

Sorry, I'm a newbie to modding, and a newbie to Quincy as well ( I just moved here a year ago). Any help is appreciated.

I'd definitley like to have a mini-meet sometime though. Maybe once I get a feel for my new work schedule and it gets a little nicer outside.

I personally have never bought stuff from prospec, but I know a few people that have and I don't believe they had any complaints. Also would you be interested in a 19mm sway bar for your ride?

and a place to get your wing painted try Biondi's, near Home Depot, not the quincy adams home depot the other quincy one, I think they can do a really good job if your willing to pay but otherwise they do a pretty decent job
    Last edited by DoMahMeGok; 04-01-2004 at 07:29 PM.

Thread Information