Close

Thermal exhaust ping sound at startup and burble in the rain...

Hey guys, maybe you can offer me some insight as to why I'm getting these noises.... When I startup my car I hear a loud ping from the exhaust. Also, I've noticed that I have a loud exhaust burble coming from near the cat when I drive in heavy rain. It sounds like my piping is about to rattle off! It's continued on, so I brought it back to my friends shop (where I got it installed). He tightened up the shield on the cat and it was fine for a couple days or so. It's started up again and I'm beginning to think that it may be a combination of things. Could I be missing a gasket? Is having my car super low causing that heat shield to get loose? Any help will be appreciated!

Re: Thermal exhaust ping sound at startup and burble in the rain...

Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
    Could I be missing a gasket? Is having my car super low causing that heat shield to get loose? Any help will be appreciated!
    Not haveing a gasket installed could cause two things. One is an exhaust leak, which would be very aparent. second if its tight there could be a harmonic vibration which could cause it to vibrate loose.
    I would say pull it apart and look everything over. Install new gaskets, they are cheap. and hope for the best.
    good luck.

Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
    Anyone else?

...other than this?http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=3293
    ah, I think you may just be hitting a heat shield some where. Look all under the car where the exhaust leads back. I know that my N1 on my previous car was hitting the heat shield. So maybe when you start the car, the exhaust moves a little to much hitting a heat shield. I'd just get under there and start moving the hell outta the exhaust to see if it comes in contact with anything.
    you said you hear a burble sound? could be a gasket problem

FUCK you! I like 'em!! esmith13's Avatar
    I have the same sounds from my Thermal!!! The Ping at ignition scares the hell outta me sometimes!! It only happens like every third time I start the car and only if it's a cold start (not driven for 6 or more hours). As for the burble -- it's been raining like hell here and I just started to notice it when the heavy rains came....

I wonder what's up??? Could this be "normal" ??

I have a hard time believing I installed it wrong, it's 5 bolts and two rubber hangers for christ's sake!!!

(I did check to make sure they were all tight tho...)

Originally posted by esmith13
    I have the same sounds from my Thermal!!! The Ping at ignition scares the hell outta me sometimes!! It only happens like every third time I start the car and only if it's a cold start (not driven for 6 or more hours). As for the burble -- it's been raining like hell here and I just started to notice it when the heavy rains came....

I wonder what's up??? Could this be "normal" ??

I have a hard time believing I installed it wrong, it's 5 bolts and two rubber hangers for christ's sake!!!

(I did check to make sure they were all tight tho...)
    what about gaskets? did the exhaust come with new ones?

yep, mine did...

If the system is full stainless, it could be expansion/contraction, especially in the rain. My bpipe on my old EK used to ping and crackle after the engine was turned off after driving for a period of time.

Sounds about right!! The ping happened to me after my car was off too today! I would guess that expansion/contraction would be the most likely cause at this point...

Thread Information