Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    nikkotyper
    I live near by Comptech and have visited their facillity more than once since my fellow autocrosser works there. They produce top notch products and slap a good price on it, too.
    However, $700 for less than 5 HP (more likely 2-3 HP) IS a waste of money.
    Let's just wait and see what others will develop. For now, I am happy with the stock exhaust. I do agree with SSVR6 - it seems that there is not much to exhaust development once you have done it once and developed a template.

Nevertheless, as I said people buy Comptech not because the name sounds cool but because they established themselves as honest and reputable manufacturer for Acuras/Hondas. Maybe 2-3 HP is as much as we can get from the aftermarket exhaust after all!

Originally posted by Pradamuimui

This is what Ive been trying to explain to SSRV6, but he doesnt seem to understand. He thinks that all of us who buy Comptech or Spoon are STUPID, and that we should all go out and buy the cheapest shit we can find for our cars!!! :p
    I don't think he's trying to say that. He's talking about performance....the main issue behind the engine forum....not looks and sound. Comptech is one of the best out there, I will not deny it. They do great tests to insure the best gains, with the best quality, and the best sound (for those that care). Now a mendrel bent pipe and no resonator supposedly sounds good and not "APC" as you are describing SSRV6 comments. The gains are not going to be that much more than the mendrel piping, if there are any gains, compared to a comptech. It's just a fact, miamijdm shows his dyno to prove this. when comptech put their exhaust,intake and header on an Si, the gains were about the same. It's not the most horsepower that means much to me, but the entire power band. If one exhaust makes 10 and another makes 8, but yet the one that makes 10 has a terrible power band curve compared to the one with 8. I'd go with 8 over 10. Now I'm sure comptech will make sure their exhaust has a great power band curve on the dyno......hince why it's so damn expensive, as I'm sure they do take a lot of time to work on an exhaust for our car. It seems honda made it hard for them.....

JDM TOOL
    So where back to Comptech and Spoon is the best!!:p I mean lets face it, you get what you pay for!! NEVER forget that.

it may be ok for you.. to each his own, however, for me, i will be going turbo, so it will be worthwhile to pay the extra cash for the setup.. im not saying i would go with comptech, i like APEX better, but i will wait and see which one reacts better to the turbo.

Remember, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link

ssvr6
    Again, I understand the need for quality parts. I'm not buying a turbo from KMart. At the same time, I'm not buying a gold plated 'spoon' when a plastic spork does the same job.

I never said the don't make a quality part, please don't misunderstand my point. I'm not attacking the quality. My point is why spend $700+ on a catback exhaust when I can have one made (professionally mandrel bent, not crush) and get the same results at a fraction of the cost.

That is my point.

Pradamuimui however has a bad disorder. (Associating price with quality). I can go buy an intake for $200 or I can make a comprable one for $100. If they both dyno the same gains, who came out ahead?

Pradamuimui's lack of real world experience is very apparent. You'll understand me one day.

Steve

Originally posted by ssvr6
    Again, I understand the need for quality parts. I'm not buying a turbo from KMart. At the same time, I'm not buying a gold plated 'spoon' when a plastic spork does the same job.

I never said the don't make a quality part, please don't misunderstand my point. I'm not attacking the quality. My point is why spend $700+ on a catback exhaust when I can have one made (professionally mandrel bent, not crush) and get the same results at a fraction of the cost.

That is my point.

Pradamuimui however has a bad disorder. (Associating price with quality). I can go buy an intake for $200 or I can make a comprable one for $100. If they both dyno the same gains, who came out ahead?

Pradamuimui's lack of real world experience is very apparent. You'll understand me one day.

Steve
    it must be pra's first car....actually he just doesn't want anyone to think the way we do, because he actually bought one. If I had money to waste, I'd get it, but I want to save that extra dough for a turbo

first off..
    I'm not buying a gold plated 'spoon' when a plastic spork does the same job.
    LMAO!
    then again.. a plastc spork is good for taco bell, not for Filet Mignon.

anyway, i am with you on certain points.. hell i bought wanna be spoon rims, why? much cheaper.. durable.. and light. all i am saying is that for ME, i think that an exaust built and tested on a dyno, i trust a little more than my mighty muffler guy, lol. i dunno, maybe my mighty muffler guys are just retartd over here hehe, but since i am spending lots of cash on a turbo and intercooler etc.. i want to go with something that i KNOW is proven. i am just afraid that my retard muffler guys dont know shit and will only hurt my performance. its not like i can get my money back after i go dyno it lol
    Last edited by PoRT; 10-09-2002 at 02:06 PM.

ssvr6
    I agree, but I'm going to a tuner that does the mandrel bending, not Meineke.

:D

Steve

lol, good luck, let us know how it works out.

JDM TOOL
    Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

it must be pra's first car....actually he just doesn't want anyone to think the way we do, because he actually bought one. If I had money to waste, I'd get it, but I want to save that extra dough for a turbo
    You and SSRV6 should get together and look through the new APC catalog together, or get together and have the local muffler shop make you an exhaust made out of some aluminum cans that are welded together, hey the same horsepower means the same quality right?? WRONG! Just because its cheaper and gets the same HP doest mean that its the same QUALITY!! Missed that point didnt ya?? Also how do you know that with ur custom bent piping that you put the right size on?? Ru going to be by a Dyno machine testing ur creation?? I dont think so!! I dont have lots of money, and Im not rich either. But I do know that you get what you pay for!! If I could have gotten the Comptech catback cheaper..I would have. I not buying it because its more expensive, Im buying it because IT IS A QUALITY PART FOR MY CAR. I know that it has been tested thoroughly by trained engineers, not people hired off the street. So you and SSRV6 can say what you want to. Same horsepower, that could possibly be true...Im not calling you a liar...but same quality??? I THINK NOT!!!

ephatch member
    I don't think hes trying to say that its going to be the same quality. I think hes trying to say why spend the extra money if the results are the same? PRADA, i totally agree with you because I am the exact same way when it comes to parts. Except for my Rota wheels (friend gave them to me for free). Some people just like knowing that they have quality parts on their car. Other people don't really care either way. Theres no right or wrong.

My98nsx
    Guys, guys, guys! In a way I can see both points, but can see Pradamuimui's....(nice clothes by the way)....point of view a little clearer. The fact remains, that in the event of a failure in your engine bay, you can take your vehicle to a dealer with confidence.
    Try taking one that has been surgically "effed" with from, where are we going, oh yeah, mighty muffler. See how long before the service guy starts licking his chops, and writes a fat work order!
    The reason I like reputtable names, is that at least I have some recourse in case of bad news. I try to call it "looking at the big picture".

Regards,
    hms

p.s. don't bash me, I'm just an old man with an opinion about
    his kid's car

JDM TOOL
    Originally posted by My98nsx
    Guys, guys, guys! In a way I can see both points, but can see Pradamuimui's....(nice clothes by the way)....point of view a little clearer. The fact remains, that in the event of a failure in your engine bay, you can take your vehicle to a dealer with confidence.
    Try taking one that has been surgically "effed" with from, where are we going, oh yeah, mighty muffler. See how long before the service guy starts licking his chops, and writes a fat work order!
    The reason I like reputtable names, is that at least I have some recourse in case of bad news. I try to call it "looking at the big picture".

Regards,
    hms

p.s. don't bash me, I'm just an old man with an opinion about
    his kid's car

WELL SAID!!!

ephatch member
    What if for the custom midpipe one uses the stainless steel just as comptech does, use the same size pipeing and mandrel bend the pipe through the same channels under the car that comptech (and where honda runs the stock pipeing as well) and then you run it through the stock honda muffler are you saying this is not as good as the comptech one? I bet it would make alot more power, cost atleast half of comptechs and the stock muffler is probably made better than comptechs is.

JDM TOOL
    Originally posted by 2K2SilverSi
    What if for the custom midpipe one uses the stainless steel just as comptech does, use the same size pipeing and mandrel bend the pipe through the same channels under the car that comptech (and where honda runs the stock pipeing as well) and then you run it through the stock honda muffler are you saying this is not as good as the comptech one? I bet it would make alot more power, cost atleast half of comptechs and the stock muffler is probably made better than comptechs is.
    I cant argue with you there, because I am a believer that factory parts are of the highest quality ESPECIALY HONDA PARTS!!:D But at the same time I believe that Comptech could be as good. Why do I think this??? Well its because both Honda and Acura dealerships have the select dealerships that are Comptech dealers. You dont see them carrying the local muffler shops exhaust, not Greddy's, not any other exhaust...just COMPTECHS. So I think that if Honda thinks its good enough, well then its good enough for me. Call a Acura or Honda deaer that carry's Comptechs line of products and ask them on a scale of 1-10 what the quality, and performace is of the Comptech line of products??

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information