Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hold the shifter like a womans breast not like your own dick.

okay, say im going 50 on the road and im in 5th, i need to start to slow down so i press the break and then down shift when the rpms are lower? or do i just press the break until i stop? then when i want to get going again do i downshift from 5-4-3-2-1 then get goign again that way or do i put it in neutral when im stopped and then go to 1st and the cycle begins again?

Originally posted by phammerz
    okay, say im going 50 on the road and im in 5th, i need to start to slow down so i press the break and then down shift when the rpms are lower? or do i just press the break until i stop? then when i want to get going again do i downshift from 5-4-3-2-1 then get goign again that way or do i put it in neutral when im stopped and then go to 1st and the cycle begins again?
    don't downshift thru the gears. you'll just be wearing your clutch. mainly use your brakes. from 50, after hitting the brakes, i would probably downshift to 3rd or 2nd depending on where my speed is at....somewhere that lies me around 3.5k on the tach. or, if i was about to mash around a corner, i'd brake at 50mph and before i hit the corner, blip the throttle and toss it into 2nd and accelerate (heel toe). make sense? i'm not a good explainer sometimes.

does blip the throttle mean when you press in clutch and push the accelerator down to match revs and then complete the shift? im also noob to stick but im learning.

Originally posted by civicxnoob
    does blip the throttle mean when you press in clutch and push the accelerator down to match revs and then complete the shift?
    Yup, that's the gist of it.

hahha

NOOOB!!!!!! doesn't even know how to drive stick yet! hahaha

Re: hahha

Originally posted by Lancesta
    Hey give him credit at least he is asking. There are a lot of people that think they know ho to drive and they do not. So what do they do? They screw up their trans.

Plus, everybody was a noob at everything. Remember not knowing how to walk? Or how to keep from pooping your pants? I don't think anybody was born knowing all the tricks to shifting a transmission.

Re: hahha

Originally posted by Lancesta
    not cool. eveyone had to learn once......

i don't understand the difference between blipping the throttle and double clutching. whats the point of double clutching when you can take a shortcut and just blip the throttle?

Double clutching brings the gears inside the transmission up to engine speed, which relieves the syncros from too much friction. But, it involves blipping the throttle, too.

Car in gear, then:
    clutch in;
    shift to neutral;
    clutch out;
    blip throttle, bringing revs to anticipated engine speed for downshift;
    clutch in;
    shift to desired gear;
    clutch out;
    keep driving.

All in about one second. It's pretty neat when I can do it right (still working on 100% effectiveness.. lol).

Blipping the throttle with the clutch disengaged doesn't quite get the same result, but it can take care of matching the engine speed to road speed. Proper double clutching (which does blip the throttle) also effectively brings the transmission up to road/engine speed.

wow that explains it. thanks! does it matter how long it takes to double clutch? does taking too long have any negative effects?

As long as you get it done before you have to start accelerating again, you're fast enough.

ephatch member
    uhhhhhhhh....::scratches head:: thats confusing for some.... how bout a vid for the underminded!!haha,.... yet i have found that doubleclutching while downshifting feels better and the passanger isnt getting whiplash...

Those were the fewest words that I could use, and yeah, it's still a bunch of steps. You'll probably have to sit there at the computer desk and do it in slow motion (don't worry if you're at work and your coworkers laugh... ;) ).

I've seen a bunch of footwork on videos, usually rally vids and stuff like that. Also, someone posted a link to a Japanese Honda site that featured a multi-angle track video of a CTR, and I think it had an inset window showing just the driver's feet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information