Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was using my little B&D random orbit polisher as well, and let me tell you, the Porter Cable is a totally different beast. It's basically a power tool, and to be honest, I can't imagine waxing a car without it now.

It was easily the best $200 I spent. I do know that the guys on autopia are recommending a different model, because it comes with a 6lb. weighted head, as opposed to the 5lb. that the 7424 has. What that translates to, I do not know... but I do know that my 7424 has served me well. I know there are better deals to be had on it than ordering it from CMA, but the reason I still ordered it from them is because it comes with the velcro head on it already. I also ordered the pad kit.

What I ordered:

http://www.properautocare.com/porcabuldetm.html

at the bottom, you can see the pad kit is $49 from them. It is HIGHLY worth it, the pads they've picked are great.

jaydub,
    Many thanks for the info! I don't think I can talk my wife into the $200 7424 or the 6lb. model on top of the $170 worth of detail products from CMA. It sucks being poor! :(

I'll go by Home Depot today and see if they have it and maybe get now, cause no sales tax and shipping on it here in Oregon will help...we leave Oregon next week so I have to do it soon. ;)

Originally posted by HondaMan
    jaydub,
    Many thanks for the info! I don't think I can talk my wife into the $200 7424 or the 6lb. model on top of the $170 worth of detail products from CMA. It sucks being poor! :(

I'll go by Home Depot today and see if they have it and maybe get now, cause no sales tax and shipping on it here in Oregon will help...we leave Oregon next week so I have to do it soon. ;)
    IIRC, Home Depot does carry it, but it has a normal head on it, not the velcro one. You can order the velcro head thing from CMA, it's like $15 I think.

Originally posted by jaydub
    IIRC, Home Depot does carry it, but it has a normal head on it, not the velcro one. You can order the velcro head thing from CMA, it's like $15 I think.
    Yeah, just went by my local Home Depot and the model 7428 was there for $177...the head looked like it was velcro (hook & loop pad). That sound like a good deal?

Here is the PC 7428 URL:
    http://www.porter-cable.com/cgi-bin/...d&prod_id=7428

It shows what I think is the old style handle near the pad, the one at Home Depot had the newer handle (looks more comfortable).

Lasty. looks like a pretty good deal on the 7424 @ CMA. Hmmm

Dang, CMA has the 7428 for $174.95. Hmmmm

http://www.properautocare.com/porcab74cirp.html

That URL shows pics with the new style handle.

Edit:
    Last edited by HondaMan; 10-18-2002 at 12:36 PM.

yeah, mine has the old handle. Sounds like an OK price if the one at home depot has the velcro on it already.

Originally posted by jaydub
    yeah, mine has the old handle. Sounds like an OK price if the one at home depot has the velcro on it already.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The 7428 does come with the velcro standard...the CMA deal/sale @ $174.95 is a nice deal and will be 1 less thing we have to pack for our move to Georgia. I think I'm going to go with the CMA deal...the extra shipping for it over the detail products is about $5. :)

jaydub,
    BTW, the 7424 is on sale @ CMA for $149.95...you think the 7428 is worth the extra $25?

Edit: As you can tell I have a hard time making up my mind, I always what to get the best value or deal on new stuff...epecially if it's newbie territory for me. ;)
    Last edited by HondaMan; 10-18-2002 at 02:23 PM.

I don't know much about the 7428, but I've been happy with my 7424. I think you'd be pretty good with either one.

creator of ephatch DownTheHatch's Avatar
    Where do you get Klasse? I used meguiars gold class liquid and it sucks horribly, the finish is gone after one wash.

Get Klasse at Proper Auto Care

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information