Close

Thread: 3-way system?

3-way system?

Hi all,
    my current incomplete audio set up is
    stock speakers in the front
    MB Quartz DFD-116 in the back
    Alpine MRP-F240 Amp 40x4

I want to do a 3-way set up where I have speakers for the highs (tweeters), and mids (MB Quart coaxial speakers), and lows (subwoofers in the trunk).

My Alpine CDA-9833 headunit has a jumper setting where I can specific 2-way or 3-way. I want to set the headunit to 3-way and then organize the speakers accordingly, how would I go about doing that? Would I only need to replace the stock tweeters, and leave the MB Quart in the rear for mids, and get subs for the lows? I was thinking about getting the Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1 5.25" for the front, but if I'm going to use the amp to filter the highs to the tweeters, then won't I only need a pair of tweeters since the woofers from the Kappa components would be extraneous because the rear MB Quart is already taking care of the mids?
    Thanks in advance for all your advice.

in His love,
    HS

You don't want to filter just the tweets. If you have a signal that is running a certain freq to the tweets, crossed at where you want. How can you be sure of what is being sent to the woofer.

What you want is an active crossover setup. Get rid of the passive xover that comes with the set of speakers you want and get an audiocontrol 4xs or something similar. That was you will be able to set the crossover points where YOU want. It's a little extra cash, but it is almost necessary (IMHO) to do a 3-way.

As far as the speakers, I would look into a set of custom speakers. Check this link http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/u...c;f=4;t=014335

Also, don't just replace the tweeter, you want to replace them as a set.

-=speck=-

the Alpine CDA-9833 has a crossover settings where you can set the cut-off frequencies and the slope. Would this do the job of the active crossover that you were talking about? Also, there seems to be three crossovers in my system. first one is the active crossover in the headunit (HU), second one is the amplifier (is this active also?), third one is the passive crossover that comes with the the Kappa Component speakers package.

Yes, the Alpine HU will do what you need it too. And you are correct, there are 3 crossover points in your setup. You want to use the Alpine HU's xover. Use "pass through" on your amp, or just turn the knob all the way down as if you want to pass everything (won't play below the Headunit's cutoff slope anyways) and you shouldn't need the passive's that come with the speakers

-=speck=-

Thread Information