Close

Question Launching the 02 SI

What rpm is good to launch an 02 stock SI? I need some sugestions?

JDM TOOL
    It completely all has to do with what kind of tires you have. I have found that on shitty stock tires you cant even launch at 2,000rpms without having tons of wheel hop. But if you happen to have 17" wheels, get some Yokohama Parada Spec 2's. I was able to launch at 3-3500rpms. With no wheel hop. So get some good tires and launch away.

What the other guy said.

burn rubber not your soul
    when i had my oem wheels and tires i would get wheel hop when i would launch higher than 2,500rpm but then after a while i was able to launch at 3,500rpm no wheel hop and minor wheel spin. But then again my front tires where turning into slicks.

(sorry for bringing back a dead thread, but getting ready to run mien for the first time, thought it was senseless to make another thread)

first time i launched my car i did it at about 2500 rpm. next time, i went a different route, probably around 4k-4500 and milked the clutch. it was very controlled and i got out quick it seemed, no real numbers to give as it was at a stoplight heh. i know it isnt good for my clutch but i don't see a problem doign it occasionally.

car is stock, on regular street tires too by the way.

I usually launch my car at 3,500 - 4,000 RPM. ESMM and good tires help out a lot.

Like people before said its hard to launch over 2500 on regular street tires. high performance tires will get you up to 3000~3800 (i believe) Depending on what mods you have you're going to need slicks to launch higher than that if you don't want to milk the clutch.

ok, cool. yeah new tires will be first thing i do, think it will be the most helpful mod or at this point atleast, as im happy with the speed of my car for now.

i was just a lil worried about the kind of damage launching this high might inflict, but it isn't like ill be doing it all the time. ive just seen STi's break doing higher rpm launches, but then again that was when kids did it all the time. suppose my clutch can handle it one more time though.

my tires are in good shape, but they nothing special...

Thread Information