Close

Question EP Stereo upgrade help needed

I'm gonna replace my stock HU with an aftermarket one. Any advice on a new CD/MP3 HU that......
    1. will fit
    2. is XM ready, I want to be able to add XM at a later date.
    3. Somewhat affordable...up to $300.00
    4. Face will not wash out in sunlight

Ideas?
    or
    Pics of your set-up?

ephatch member
    the alpine cda-9820xm is cool, xm tuner built in already($350 @crutchfield). some of the alpines bleach out really bad and some models don't. i ended up with the pioneer 6600 and i like it alot.

xm

all newer brand name radios or hu are eithee xm or sirius ready
    but xm and sirius have halted these companies form making tuner boxes so good luck finding one ...even the antennas are becoming more and more hard to find...ebay seems to be the only place that has them ..new in the box is even more rare ...trust me i work at a stereo shop and i had to call all 300 of our stores to find a xm box for my new pio dehp8600 mp which i have to say is a awesome head unit
    13 band eq downloadable graphics color display
    all head units are going to wash out in direct sunlight
    so good luck

ephatch member
    just an fyi, pioneer is the only company that is still making xm tuners . terk is making a universal tuner box but it isn't released yet (they keep moving the date back as of right now its july). if you want xm with a direct connect to the hu and you want it in the near future get the alpine 9820, or a pioneer. i got the pioneer 6600 with a pioneer xm tuner and i'm happy with it. crutchfield usually has the pioneer xm tuner and antenna you need both for $200.

I will sell you my new alpine cda-9815 for 375 shipped. I wanted to get somthing else. I got it from ulimate electronics. I will even throw in a silver fit kit for 02-04 civic si.

mmm

pioneer and alpine have not made a xm direct connect xm tuner in almost a year the ones crutchfield have a re surplus stock ...
    i am a sales and instalation manager for a larger store with over three hundred stores ...this info is from not me but the sales reps for these companies ..and terks xm commnader is out
    not pushed back
    i thnk you got your facts wrong

ephatch member
    i was told pioneer still makes xm tuners, there is supposed to be a new tuner out shortly from them also(rumor). i'm not talking about the commander, i'm talking about xm direct. it has the same tuner box as the commander but it is made to direct connect to aftermarket hu. (blitz will make the cable and that is the reason it is being pushed back). click here xmxmd100, that is the terk universal, and it is a preorder right now.

ok

one more time it is my JoB to talk to these guys and buy from these guys ...sales rep ..all this info i am givinf you is first hand from the manfactuers themselves,,, there will not be a pioneer , alpine or anyother head unit make producing a xm box .sure you can get a universal blitz cable or something like it
    but will it display the info on your head unit
    i think not
    ;)

and far as your link
    like i said SURPLUS stock
    i even run across some in my store every blue moon
    they are out there but very very rare

The Terk universal is supposed to be out later this summer. Blitz (and likely others) will make cables to direct connect to (and display on) any XM capable H/U, and many OEM units as well. This is XMs 3g chipset, and it means that the aftermarket HU manufacturers will not have to produce their own XM tuners. More profit for XM, and universal compatibility for end users like us. Best of all worlds.

sabrownfl

sure

yeah sureeeee

ephatch member
    1) the pioneer tuners are not that hard to find, crutchfield has them in stock new and unopened.

2)terk is making a universal xm tuner (not the commander that is already released) it will display the xm info on your xm ready hu (did you look at the link i gave? all the info is there!!)

3)blitz is making the cables that connect the universal terk tuner to the specified brand of hu (pioneer, sony, alpine, kenwood) DIRECT CONNECT so the info will display on the hu's display!!!

4)you may be right about pioneer not making the receivers anymore. i was told they are, who really cares, they are available!!!

5)if you are the brains behind the operation of these 300 stores how come you are so uninformed about all this xm stuff?

6) good luck finding a new hu kingdymond68 :D .
    Last edited by brian1g; 05-12-2004 at 08:05 PM.

Thread Information