Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ephatch member

Which way is correct for swabar install?

Before everyone jumps in and yells search, I have, but all the pictures won't show up for me. I took some pictures of the Progress sway bar in two positions if anyone wants to post them for me; I'm computer illiterate. Then hopefully someone can let me know which way is correct. Or if anyone can give me some info or a link that would be cool too. Thanks.

It would be very hard to install it the wrong way ( upside down ) Its very simple just put thew new one on like the old one was 2 nuts and 4 bolts

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar
    Click on my link to K-series below. There's a good how to (I would recommend you do it with an allen wrench and make sure it's metric. The plier method listed on K-series sucked IMO :) ). Use lots of PB Lube on the endlinks as they're crusted on if the EP's not an 04.

Basically, just look at the OEM and the aftermarket. It's pretty difficult to put it on upside down.
    Mel

Click on my link to K-series below. There's a good how to (I would recommend you do it with an allen wrench and make sure it's metric. The plier method listed on K-series sucked IMO :) ). Use lots of PB Lube on the endlinks as they're crusted on if the EP's not an 04.

Basically, just look at the OEM and the aftermarket. It's pretty difficult to put it on upside down.
    Mel

ephatch member
    Ok, thanks for the info and link. I just got some PB lube so hopefully I should be ok. I just heard of a few people putting it on backwards so I wanted to make sure. Someone posted that when tightening the swaybar down the suspension should be compressed. I assumed this meant without the car jacked up. Is there any truth to that? The k-series link didn't seem to mention that so I'm not sure. Unless that is the last step when I should check everything.

Originally posted by trabadoo22
    Someone posted that when tightening the swaybar down the suspension should be compressed. I assumed this meant without the car jacked up. Is there any truth to that?
    It might not matter, since the bar merely rotates, and doesn't compress (at least when the car is level). If the car is lifted, though, at least you can be sure that both wheels are at the same location in travel, which would make it easy to attach the bar.

Mine got done while lifted, FWIW.

Ok, thanks for the info and link. I just got some PB lube so hopefully I should be ok. I just heard of a few people putting it on backwards so I wanted to make sure. Someone posted that when tightening the swaybar down the suspension should be compressed. I assumed this meant without the car jacked up. Is there any truth to that? The k-series link didn't seem to mention that so I'm not sure. Unless that is the last step when I should check everything.
    I did mine while it was up on jackstands.

One other tip: Be very careful with the endlinks as the allen key hole is soft metal and will strip easily....
    Mel

Originally posted by oogy-boogy
    One other tip: Be very careful with the endlinks as the allen key hole is soft metal and will strip easily....
    I can attest to that -- I stripped one of mine.

Spray some WD-40 or something to loosen the rust on the bolt, and use a wire brush (such as brass) to get it out of as much of the threads as possible before attempting to remove that nut. Mine probably wouldn't have stripped if I did the prep work beforehand.

Or, use a needle-nose pair of channel lock (aka Vise Grip) pliers to hold onto the bolt on the other side of the sway bar end. It's kinda difficult to describe, but it's easy once you get a good look -- there's the nut, the bar end, a flange (part of the bolt), the rubber boot, and the endlink cap. You'll want to get a hold of that flange REALLY TIGHT with the pliers, and hold the bolt steady that way.

You'll probably have to at least get the nut started using the allen key in the end of the bolt before you have room to use the pliers.

ephatch member
    Awesome, thanks for all the help. I will be installing them this Sat. with the help of a friend. He has some power tools so hopefully that will make it easier. Thanks.

You shouldn't need power tools for this -- just some good ol' arm strength would take care of it.

ephatch member
    Even better then. I keep getting confused about which install I'm talking about. We are also installing a new exhaust. The bolts by the cat are a pain to get out so we will be using air tools for that. If we need them for the sway install they will be there for us to use.

I highly suggest using a torch on the nuts on the back of the cat to get them cherry red before loosening or they may strip or worse snap off

Even better then. I keep getting confused about which install I'm talking about. We are also installing a new exhaust.
    What's better than just installing a sway bar? Why, installing other stuff at the same time, of course.

Cool -- have fun!

ephatch member
    Ok, my friend and I got everything installed. Everything went ok except for the rust all over the nuts and bolts, but we managed fine. The PB lube worked pretty good at desolving the rust. Anyways, I am concerned that the rear sway may be installed incorrectly though. I don't have any problems and no bounciness that others complain about, but I just want to make sure. I have pics of the rear sway installed, but unfortunately I don't know how to post them here. So if I could email them to someone who knows how so they could post them here I would appreciate it. It would really suck to break an endlink or something. Plus other users could use this for future reference.

Ok, my friend and I got everything installed. Everything went ok except for the rust all over the nuts and bolts, but we managed fine. The PB lube worked pretty good at desolving the rust. Anyways, I am concerned that the rear sway may be installed incorrectly though. I don't have any problems and no bounciness that others complain about, but I just want to make sure. I have pics of the rear sway installed, but unfortunately I don't know how to post them here. So if I could email them to someone who knows how so they could post them here I would appreciate it. It would really suck to break an endlink or something. Plus other users could use this for future reference.
    Drop me an e-mail at work and I can host them and check them out for ya....

mrios@wgi.us
    Mel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information