Close

Can you add a sub to the stock unit?

There are these cool subs look like nos bottles that come in a tube. I want the active not passive ones? (I have no idea what that means but active is more expensive and I'm assuming it means there is a built in amp or has some type of cross over system?)

in any case, I'm just wondering if I could get one of those while still using the stock head unit with not other stero components. Is it possible to just hook up that sub to the stock unit with just new stereo wires? I just want more bass without having to sacrifice my entire trunk to get a litte better sound.

it can be done........

once you get the amp, you will need a remote power lead from 12v source like ignition is what some use. or could use any 12v lead and put a switch on it.

also you will need to get the speaker line converting unit?? (cant remember the name) it wires into speaker wires and gives you two rca outputs that can now go to the amp.

besides you would still need 12v power lead and ground for that amp

ive done this before a long time ago so if you have questions i may be able to answer

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    its called a line level converter. and I have found it to be unnecessary. I took an old RCA cable split the outer wire back and then left some of the inner wire cover and cut some of that back to leave the inner wire bare only about 3 inches further out than the outer wire (RCAs are 2 wires in one). the inner wire goes to + the outer goes to - and it works just like a line level. if I would have had a line level I surely would have used it, but since I didn't and I wanted my sub going I did this. its an old installer trick. mine is doing fine. ;)

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar
    Yup, you can do it.

Like stated above, you will need a line level converter. ~ $20.00 and can be purchased at Walmart, Autozone, etc. The only plus you have with the line level converter is that you can adjust the signal more than if it's just spliced.

Like you stated, passive vs active/powered just means one has a built in amp while the other needs to be amplified.
    Mel

Cool does not always equal good :)

If you want some nice bass, hits hard, etc, do your own box and sub. The 'prefab' ones don't compare at all to something like that!

like I always say: make it go fast before you make it look good :D

Buy my used line level converter.
    $15 Shipped.

:)
    I had subs with stock cd player.

Thanks for the replies guys!

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Better bass while being able to keep my trunk. These subs are pretty expensive at around 400-500 CDN but they are smaller, lighter, and easier to take out of the car and its still cheaper then getting an amp, a sub and a box. Plus I don't want to shell out too much money on audio because I would rather spend the money on the driving performance of the car right now.

Does anyone have this setup in their rides w/ pics?

This is along the type of setup that I'm looking for.

Originally posted by oldschoolimport
    its called a line level converter. ;)
    lol thanks man. i couldnt remember the actual name of that damn thing...

and like he said above just stripping and splicing speaker outs to rca cables would work just as well.

will splicing the cables cause more distortion on the line? I used to do that on my home stereo speakers and it was very sensitive. sometimes if you put the volume just right it would cut out all the speakers and give you nothing. I'm going to get this professionally installed because I know jack about stereo installs.

thanks for all the help guys! :'(

Be careful if you just go splicing the wires without a line level converter. The converter basically reduces the power of the signal. Some amplifier's pre-amp circuits (mostly older ones I think, but who knows?) are only intended to accept low power input signals, and the higher watts coming out of the speaker outputs on the head unit may blow the pre-amp circuit. I would advise reading the amp's manual to find out what the maximum allowable input signal is. Better amps have current limiters built in that will clip the signal to prevent the pre-amp from being blown out, but this will still cause distortion. It doesn't hurt to check!

okay.... now i kinda understand how you guys plan on installing the system in the car now. you find the wires for your rear speakers and then splice them so that you can add a sub to it. But in order to do thzt you have to get a 'line level converter' which will boost the signal and stop any power surges.

I always thought that you would have to wire something directly to the head unit in order to run a sub/amp combo. Are all subs and amps installed by splicing the wires to your rwear speakers?

Most newer aftermarket head units have RCA jacks on the back which produce a line level signal that is meant to plug into the amp's input. That's the preferred way to rig it, but either way will work. You might get a little less noise with the direct line level because that circuit is completely shielded whereas the speaker driving wires aren't. Splicing the speaker wires is somewhat of a jury rig.

Originally posted by smilla0
    . You might get a little less noise with the direct line level because that circuit is completely shielded whereas the speaker driving wires aren't.
    That, and the RCA line level outputs aren't amplified already, like the speaker outputs are.

Basically, any amplification adds noise, and amplifying already-present noise just makes louder noise.

Thread Information