Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

JRSC with no other mods?

It seems like everybody with a JRSC also has i/h/e. Does anybody have JUST a JRSC? Is that a bad idea? I'm not crazy about any of the aftermarket intakes and exhausts, but might do a header. Before I spend money, I want to have a plan, though. My goal is a faster daily driver that will kill my co-worker's Cooper S, but that's about it. Has to meet CARB and require NO tinkering once installed. Any advice? Help out an old dude. ;)

Hmm....You would be sort of limited because you don't want an intake, but I say if you get a shorty header and a midpipe, you should be at 175ish whp. That equates to around 205 horses. You'll still be CARB legal, and very reliable.

So as long as your buddy with the Cooper doesn't get the works package, you should be able to beat him;)

For someone who just wants a nice kick in performance w/o a lot of tinkering around, JRSC is perfect. Its just when you want to start upping the boost/go faster that the problems start to appear. I think the only additional maintenance you might have to do is keep an eye on the belts and replace them every so often.
    Last edited by anjapower; 05-15-2004 at 09:06 PM.

I've got three Fiats, so I'm used to keeping an eye on belts. ;)

I really hate the idea of making my intake and exhaust louder if there's no significant gain. What would give the most performance (along with a JRSC) without increasing noise?

I'd say i/h/e are all key to getting good gains. I'd start with an intake though. You're gonna leave bottlenecks if you only open up certain parts for airflow.

How about getting the Comptech Icebox? They are very quiet for intakes. I doubt you'd be able to hear one of those over an S/C whine. If you get a shorty header and bigger midpipe mated to the stock muffler, you'd have significant gains over a JRSC'ed ep w/ no other mods, and your car will stay pretty quiet.

I would go with just a header if you don't want it to be louder. That would let the head breathe better and create the most gain with the SC and still be quiet. And just drop a K&N in the stock airbox. Sleeperdobbs :angel:

Thanks, guys. Great ideas all.

JRSC instructions recommend you improve the air flow to the engine. It is not good for the charger to pull hard to get air. Drop in KN sounds good. I feel the same way about increased sound from i/h/e but luckily my setup ended up being great, not loud at all even 80mph highway driving.

So you're happy with the setup? I.e., if you had to do it all over, would you or would you do something else?

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar
    As far as the intake, why not just do the Hondata mod to the OEM box and then throw in a good filter like others have mentioned?

Click here!

Also, a 2 1/4" mid-pipe with resonator will help free up the restrictive flow as well as keep it quiet.

A shorty header will also do the flow some justice.

A combo of those 3 items + JRSC will keep you rollin and in a quiet manner ;)
    Mel

Originally posted by anjapower
    Hmm....You would be sort of limited because you don't want an intake, but I say if you get a shorty header and a midpipe, you should be at 175ish whp. That equates to around 205 horses. You'll still be CARB legal, and very reliable.

So as long as your buddy with the Cooper doesn't get the works package, you should be able to beat him;)

For someone who just wants a nice kick in performance w/o a lot of tinkering around, JRSC is perfect. Its just when you want to start upping the boost/go faster that the problems start to appear. I think the only additional maintenance you might have to do is keep an eye on the belts and replace them every so often.

whats the works package for the coopers? more boost?

Originally posted by mhx
    I believe it may be just bolt ons...it actually helps the gains a lot on that car.

then again, it says the work package is

and will include a reconfigured cylinder head with improved port flow, uprated Eaton supercharger with a new pulley design for more spin and higher horsepower, and special engine electronics that optimize power output. A stainless steel sport exhaust system with parallel flow and low back-pressure system gives the exhaust throaty note as it exits twin chrome exhaust tips. The John Cooper Works package promises a 6.7-second 0-60 mph time and 140-mph top speed, and carries a factory warranty, regardless of whether it is installed when the car is purchased or added later. .

Originally posted by mhx
    new head, more boost, freer flowing exhaust. output bumped from 163 to 200hp.

Originally posted by bobdobbs
    So you're happy with the setup? I.e., if you had to do it all over, would you or would you do something else?
    yes I am happy with the setup, I would consider Magnaflow exhaust if I had to to it again. cheaper, dual tips, nice looking, a bit louder.

yea the works cooper is a lil track demon

anyway

like others have mentioned why dont you consider the icebox. it looks almost the same as oem and it has the functionality of a traditional intake. a 2.25 resonated midpipe will help a lil but if it gets cold where u live u might get some raspyness at higher rpms. JRSC is more than good enough to get ya that kick in the pants that you need without making it louder than Rosie O'Donnel :D
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:
    2003 Ep3 - K24A1/K20Z3 Hybrid - currently under the knife
    2001 S2000 - Stock and loving it
    1987 Buick T-Type WE4 - The BEAST

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information