Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ssvr6
    Yeah, Regan's the best. Quick delivery and no hassle.

Steve

Claudius
    Does anybodyknow if I could install one of those short shifters to my CTR or does it need a different model short shifter?

Originally posted by Claudius
    Does anybodyknow if I could install one of those short shifters to my CTR or does it need a different model short shifter?
    Hmmm...good question. Regan do you know? I still haven't installed mine, but should finally get around to it this week! :o

Originally posted by Skidtron89

]

If the overall height of the shifter including the height of the shift knob is reduced the throw is shorter. I don't see why you think it wouldn't be it's basic geometry or common sense. The stick isn't as tall so it can't travel as far anymore using the stock height as a reference point a shorter shift knob will reduce the throw of teh shifter quite a bit. I died (The opposite of tapped) the rest of the shift lever on my car and then chopped off about 3/4 of an inch of the top of the threads and then put on a shorter shift knob and the throw is drastically reduced. We dod this to all of my freinds cars and you don't alter the geometry of the stock linkage below the pivot point so the shift forks don't get fucked up like on typical short throw shifters that alter the pivot point but don't alter teh length of the shift rods hence giving you too much or too little movement in the selector rod and contributing to transmission failure. Ever here of peoples trannys popping out of gera with short throw shifters. Thats why.........
    yeah okay! if that's what you want to believe. That's mad short shiften yo!

Skidtron89
    Believe whatever you want and go ahead and alter your stock factory engineered shift linkage. I could careless if you fuck up you ride because I'll get paid to fix them. I am a mechanic part time soon to be full time. That just means more money in my pocket.

Believe whatever you want and go ahead and alter your stock factory engineered shift linkage. I could careless if you fuck up you ride because I'll get paid to fix them. I am a mechanic part time soon to be full time. That just means more money in my pocket.
    first of all I'm not getting one because I don't need one.
    Secondly it won't screw anything up. I had one on my 97 Civic EX for 5 years and nothing went wrong.
    Third, you have no clue. Go take a geometry glass. A shorter knob won't do the trick, that's what I quoted that guy from.

Skidtron89
    I'll take a geometry class if yo can say you honestly think altering the shift lever action is making the distance the shift forks in the transmission move faster and does so with out any harm what so ever. Although i don't have a way to prove it I have repaired and helped repair many cars with the classic short shifter on rod type shift linkage cars that damaged the shift forks and or synchros due to te short shifter. Not to mention the reason it feels harder most of teh time to shift a car that has a short shifter its because you are forcing it to move in ways that it wasn't designed to move in. Once again its geometry. And also to add to the last point you no longer have the proper mechanical advantage anymore yet another reason why it seems harder to shift. Or stiffer as most people describe it.

I'll take a geometry class if yo can say you honestly think altering the shift lever action is making the distance the shift forks in the transmission move faster and does so with out any harm what so ever. Although i don't have a way to prove it I have repaired and helped repair many cars with the classic short shifter on rod type shift linkage cars that damaged the shift forks and or synchros due to te short shifter. Not to mention the reason it feels harder most of teh time to shift a car that has a short shifter its because you are forcing it to move in ways that it wasn't designed to move in. Once again its geometry. And also to add to the last point you no longer have the proper mechanical advantage anymore yet another reason why it seems harder to shift. Or stiffer as most people describe it.
    your right in the fact that it is doing something the tranny isn't designed for. If someone installs one and shifts hard, they will eventually screw their tranny up because it's sending the linkage in too soon for the synchros. Now if you're me, you won't slame the gears, because you don't need to...because that's what a short shifter is for. How can I and other have so many installed and only a small % screw their tranny. It's how they drive the car. I feel the short shifter isn't needed in this car because the shift are short enough. putting on a shorter knob doesn't change the way the shifter is designed. The length between the pivot ball of the short shifter and the part where it connects to the linkage is the key. If you look at a stock one and compare it to an aftermarket one you will see the difference.

Skidtron89
    I know what your saying and that is true but what I'm saying is my mnethod gives a short throw on the top of the lever but stcok throw on the bottom of the lever. Do you understand? It's hard to explain but if the lever is the same everywhere but above the pivot point where it is now shorter in height then the throw or the lever (Only the part you touch not the tranny parts) is shortened not only in height duh! but in the distance it travels between teh gears as a 5 ft pole sweeping back and forth does not have the range of a 10ft pole. The difference is only a inch or so in height but you would be very surprised to see and feel teh difference in the throw from stock to how my setup is. I am serious when I say it is the best way and not just cause it's my way. I have also had a short throw shifter in teh past and it would barely let you get into 3rd gear and would sometimes pop out even! and this was just regular driving. It was a neuspeed I think I can't remember but they are all facsimlies of each other on that type anyways.

Skidtron89
    Here is a pic I whipped up trying to show you what I'm saying uin case you think I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Skidtron89
    Hey how come it didn't post???? WTF? Well I'll email it to anyone that wants to see it then.

did you try attaching the pic? I haven't been able to attach a pic all night, wonder what's up...

Here is a pic I whipped up trying to show you what I'm saying uin case you think I have no idea what I'm talking about.
    here's a pic of a shorter shifter on top and a stock one on bottome...this is for 96-00 civics.

Now notice how the skunk2 is actually longer in appearance? That's what I'm trying to get to. Just because you shrink the shifter, by lets say putting on a shorter knob, or cutting the shifter shorter will do nothing to give you a real shorter shift. The part that is between the pivot ball and the hole is what is important. Because that part is longer, it is able to push the linkage in sooner than the stock one....that is my point

ssvr6
    Unfortunately Skidtron89, your logic doesn't work with the EP, hence the argument.

Do you understand now why no matter how short your cut the shift rod on the EP that it just won't matter. The pivot point is the same, only your hand placement has changed.

Originally posted by ssvr6
    Unfortunately Skidtron89, your logic doesn't work with the EP, hence the argument.

Do you understand now why no matter how short your cut the shift rod on the EP that it just won't matter. The pivot point is the same, only your hand placement has changed.
    if he doesn't get it now....I give up!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information