Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation *OEM airbox Question*

ok so I've done HELLSA looking around for the last week or two on info for the stock airbox. I've seen hondatas stock airbox mod and another site told me that the "silencer" or resonator is the rubber hose that runs from the airbox to your front grill area.. (close to yer radiator fan i think) I've been getting mixed signals as far as what I can do to free up airflow/ unsilence it. I got a hold of the service manual for the ep3 too... They refer to the resonator as being actually inside the airbox; not the little rubber bendy tube thing. I even found the intake systems flow chart where they show you where all the air in the car runs and which direction etc, and they show the air running right past (not even entering) the resonator. So I'm just wondering maybe if anyone had any ideas on how to figure out reaaaaal specific specs on how the airbox works? And yeah... excuse the rambling-- up too late and a few too many. If I'm not making any sense ill rephrase it:
    How do I get rid of the resonator on my stock "iron lung"? hehe

Talking

By the way on that intake airflow chart in the service manual, the resonator would be number 18. Or, if you were looking face to face at your car into your bay, it would be in the lower left corner of the airbox. (Closest corner to throttle bodies direction I think.)
    By the way thanks In advance for the help !!! :) :) :)

Airbox Question

Hey anyone here know anything about the stock airbox? More specifically about the resonator and how to get rid of it. Thanks. :P

Thanks man. I've already seen that article though. Hmm... Ok so basically... I've seen other DIY articles for other cars intakes where they drill holes all up and down a little box thing... The box has a pattern running acrossed it too. looks like -|-|-
    -|-|-
    I think (thinks hard) its on the top of the airbox. Like if you take the top of it off, it will be in there. The actual top of the box that is. It's got some kind of weird loopy funnel type things (2) running into it... And as I was saying in a previous post; It defenitely looks like it takes air into it. And does something with it. I mean it looks like a silencer... What other purpose could it have? On the repair manual diagram it shows the air as goind just around the outside of the box(following the corners of the air box, and then leaving). They actually have RESONATOR labeled on the diagram! And here's the thing... it doesn't show the little airflow direction arrows going through it at all.

:(
    SOoooo anyways sorry for the shitty explanations. I reallllly need to get out and take some pics up close to explain this shit. Cus I mean, I really don't know much about cars, but it seems like Hondata's Cut the Rib DIY might be a little off. Anyone care to comment? Anyone know of a way to find out specific stuff like that from honda?

Why go through the trouble, spend alittle and get a used intake. More trouble modding our stock box then an older civic. Then agian I still thought that was ghetto too. Also please do not have multiple posts on the same subject in different sections :)

Take the top of the intake off. You will see two holes inside the tube; one is leading from the breather hose, the other goes to the resonator. If you can find a way to block the resonator hole, you might free up some power, at the expense of slightly increased induction noise. I don't see how drilling holes in the box would be a good idea, considering that the airbox is inside the engine bay, and all this would accomplish would be to let hot engine bay air in. The rubber hose that runs to the radiator fan is the intake inlet.
    Last edited by EtherGhost; 05-25-2004 at 10:57 AM.

Originally posted by EtherGhost
    If you can find a way to block the resonator hole, you might free up some power, at the expensve of slightly increased induction noise. I don't see how drilling holes in the box would be a good idea, considering that the airbox is inside the engine bay, and all this would accomplish would be to let hot engine bay air in.
    Thanks for replying first of all! :)
    Think you misunderstood me buddy. I wasn't going to put a big gaping leak into the outside of the airbox. I was talking about drilling out what you were talking about.. The rectangle shaped box thats like a few inches and its molded into the top of the airbox. And what you were saying about POSSIBLY freeing up a few HP... yeah, i mean isnt that what we're all doign with most our mods cept FI? just trying to get like 3hp? 5hp mayyybe? most likely you'll lost like 10 for that 3 you gained somewhere else in the powerband. I don't feel like dropping 200 dollars on some stupid shiny piece of silver that AEM makes or INJEN or something... I don't want to lose my low end torque. It feels like my Si grew training wheels and a learning disability. I tried on my friends Short Ram.. I hated it no low end. So yeah, basically... I know its harder to figure out :P:yellm: But i need that torque low end and the fact that I'm broke. Anyone be able to take a pic of their open airbox and label the parts? (make sure you get the inner side of the top piece.)

Originally posted by mango-ep3
    Thanks for replying first of all! :)
    Think you misunderstood me buddy. I wasn't going to put a big gaping leak into the outside of the airbox. I was talking about drilling out what you were talking about.. The rectangle shaped box thats like a few inches and its molded into the top of the airbox. And what you were saying about POSSIBLY freeing up a few HP... yeah, i mean isnt that what we're all doign with most our mods cept FI? just trying to get like 3hp? 5hp mayyybe? most likely you'll lost like 10 for that 3 you gained somewhere else in the powerband. I don't feel like dropping 200 dollars on some stupid shiny piece of silver that AEM makes or INJEN or something... I don't want to lose my low end torque. It feels like my Si grew training wheels and a learning disability. I tried on my friends Short Ram.. I hated it no low end. So yeah, basically... I know its harder to figure out :P:yellm: But i need that torque low end and the fact that I'm broke. Anyone be able to take a pic of their open airbox and label the parts? (make sure you get the inner side of the top piece.)
    I got rid of my AEM V2 for that same reason. I hated it because I lost my low end torque (something I have grown a custom to being an ex VW owner). I ended up picking up a stock OEM airbox and did the Hondata mod. I haven't had a chance to install it because I am going to rig up a ram air style scoop on the inlet tube.

I have done the Hondata Airbox mod, and made a scoop. I think it works well, especially coupled with a MidPipe and Hondata.

To get a complete write up on it, go here: http://www.dmcknight.net and click on the tab that says "vehicle specs"

http://www.dmcknight.net/

The page cannot be displayed..

Do you think it's as good as an SRI?

it should be working now, and yes, I think its as good, especially with a K&N drop-in.

Do you know how loud is it compared to an SRI?

Thanks!

My setup sounds the same as stock did to me. The midpipe, however is louder and lower than stock.

Cool Modification Complete

Just finished removing my SRI and re-installing the stock air-box with Hondata mod in place. Took it for a spin in the wet and sorta think there is more torque low down and no change in HP. Need more seat time.

I removed the "elbow" from the end of the intake tube. This may produce a minor RAM intake effect as it points stright ahead.

I like the quietness...SRI was boomy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information