Close

Thread: Audio Help

Audio Help

Ok here's the deal. I have decided on what speakers I am going to be getting for my car. Here is the list:

Last edited by 02civicSI; 05-24-2004 at 02:04 PM.

mmm.. homer simpson lips davidc81's Avatar
    wires you are going to need

3 sets of interconnects
    4g power and ground wire
    battery terminals
    ground terminals
    speaker wire
    remote wire
    fuse holder

although its better to dynamat the whole car, you will get good results dynamatting certain areas first if you dont want to do the whole thing. i would start with speaker baffles, trunk, doors, floor, then firewall. check out edead, its good and is much cheaper than dynamat www.edesignaudio.com

thankyou!

ephatch member
    Originally posted by davidc81
    wires you are going to need

3 sets of interconnects
    4g power and ground wire
    battery terminals
    ground terminals
    speaker wire
    remote wire
    fuse holder

although its better to dynamat the whole car, you will get good results dynamatting certain areas first if you dont want to do the whole thing. i would start with speaker baffles, trunk, doors, floor, then firewall. check out edead, its good and is much cheaper than dynamat www.edesignaudio.com
    That's pretty much it. Don't forget to put a fuse on your power wire near the battery and one at the amp. I'm not familiar with Alpine amps; it may have fuse(s) built-in already.

Also, don't skimp on wires. Get some decent stuff. I am a firm believer that wire is a component, not an accessory, and can affect sound. I made the switch to Kimber Kable in my home setup, and it made a huge difference (to me anyway). Monster Cable is decent stuff and readily available. Tara Labs also makes some nice cables, and it's usually not too expensive (check Ebay if you don't have a dealer nearby). Some of you no doubt think I'm nuts.

FWIW,

Mathman.

mmm.. homer simpson lips davidc81's Avatar
    i love car audio so much that i made my own interconnects ;)

The AMP KING power wiring at Parts Express is some nice, high quality wire, at a nice low price. For 1-99 feet, it is $1.25 per foot, .97 for 100+ feet.

A buddy of mine used this 4 gauge in his 1800 watt Alpine amplified system, and it worked great. No problems.

ephatch member
    Originally posted by davidc81
    i love car audio so much that i made my own interconnects ;)
    Out of curiosity, what materials and geometry did you use?

Mathman.

If i were you i would buy 4 6.5's not the 5.25's. i dont know if the 5.25's will fit but you will have to cut out your front door panels anyway.

BTW thats my exact set up except i have 4 6.5's and a 12 not a 10.

And... Ill now be purchasing a set of Infinity or JL speakers instead of those Alpines I was looking at ;) I hate having the same set up as anyone else.. much less two people =(

can you fit 6.5" up front? and what about a pair of 6x9's in the rear instead of the 6.5's? just gave me some ideas. i am gonna head over to a audio shop to see if they can do that cause if i can get those in there then i dont want the subs. i'll just throw the amps under the rear seat if i can. keep everything on the down low...

ephatch member
    Originally posted by 02civicSI
    can you fit 6.5" up front? and what about a pair of 6x9's in the rear instead of the 6.5's? just gave me some ideas. i am gonna head over to a audio shop to see if they can do that cause if i can get those in there then i dont want the subs. i'll just throw the amps under the rear seat if i can. keep everything on the down low...
    You can do 6.5" speakers up front pretty easily. You may have to do a little cutting, and build a spacer so the windows don't hit the speaker when they're down. If you don't want to do it, your local shop should have no problems with fitting some in there. I don't use rear speakers, so I've never popped them open to see how much room you have. As for an amp, you won't be able to get one under the rear seat. There's no room under there.

Mathman.

Originally posted by mathman
    You can do 6.5" speakers up front pretty easily. You may have to do a little cutting, and build a spacer so the windows don't hit the speaker when they're down. If you don't want to do it, your local shop should have no problems with fitting some in there. I don't use rear speakers, so I've never popped them open to see how much room you have. As for an amp, you won't be able to get one under the rear seat. There's no room under there.

Mathman.
    thanks for the info. where can i put the amp where it will not get in the way. i use my trunk so i dont want anything in the way in there especially when i put the rear seats down.

i am going to make a trip to the audio store tomorrow to see what they can do. i would really like to have 6.5" components up front and 6x9" in the rear and an amp without a sub.

Greenwood Village, Colorado, United States
    here is something to consider... off that amp.. how much power will go to the sub? RMS Power! I ask because that sub requires a good amount of power.
    mods:

Stuff

ephatch member
    Originally posted by 02civicSI
    thanks for the info. where can i put the amp where it will not get in the way. i use my trunk so i dont want anything in the way in there especially when i put the rear seats down.

i am going to make a trip to the audio store tomorrow to see what they can do. i would really like to have 6.5" components up front and 6x9" in the rear and an amp without a sub.
    You might be able to get a small amp under one of the front seats. The other option is to put it in the hatch, up against either side. You'll still be able to get to your spare, and sacrifice almost no trunk space.

Mathman.

Thread Information