Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

CHINABOY'S car detailing guide

ok guys, seems that many of us here detail cars, and there is NO one single solution to do it... but there are many of us here on the site that have no idea what a clay bar is, or cannot distinguish the differences between many products... so I decided to make a guide on how to detail cars for you guys, ADMINS please make this a sticky please.

Now, keep in mind that I am using products that you can buy off the shelves or online and it is going to cost about roughly 80 dollars total for ALL equipment. Most of it can be found in your garage, but if not try to pick it up as soon as you can.

Today

STEP 1: WASHING

So first, use ONE wash mitt made of cotton or wool. I have moved away from using washing sponges because, of its pores, it can hold a lot of grime, and washing the car can lead to premature scratches and what not. Water down the car with the hose, and start from top to bottom. Use about a 1oz of DAWN BLUE DISH SOAP in the bucket and fill with water until foam. The reasons why we use DAWN BLUE DISH SOAP is because DAWN has a high amount of Alkaline in its chemical make up
    Last edited by Chinaboy; 05-25-2004 at 09:32 PM.

STEP 2: CLAYBAR

The car is standing alone wet from top to bottom. Put on rubber latex gloves and open the clay bar box. Inside you will see there is a spray bottle
    Last edited by Chinaboy; 05-25-2004 at 09:33 PM.

Step 3: DRYING

OK the car is wet and we need to dry it, so lets go ahead and take out our CALIFORNIA WATERBLADE, wet the silicon blade and start from top of the car, then work down the windshields and then hood and trunk, to lastly the side door and panels. Hold in hand, with slow strokes, the water will carry itself off your car. IF you go fast you might not pick up as much water. When most the water is off, drive your car in to the garage, and take out the SHAMMY, wet the shammy, wring it till damp, and then wipe off excess water that the water blade did not take off. NOW the car Is dry, we are now ready to begin polishing.
    Last edited by Chinaboy; 05-25-2004 at 09:44 PM.

STEP 4: POLISHING

A lot of people ask me why to polish, when to polish and what is polish. So to answer those questions

STEP 5: WAXING

You are almost done keep it up. So now since the car is all polished out

Regular Maintenance

After a major detail, you still should wash your car every other week
    Last edited by Chinaboy; 05-25-2004 at 09:45 PM.

Sticked.
    Good informations.

thanks civicvtec1ps

here... juss for reference and creditibility of my detailing, I present to you Trisha... my TSX.

fender shot, over looking the hood

look ma! im in the light, but there is no swirls or scratches!

she looks so nice and clean

The EP is outside... imma let my brother wash the hampster later...
    but I was bored last night at 10:30PM... so I decided to detail my car... since its been about half a year

P21S = S100

Chinaboy has mentioned P21S a few times. I use their paint cleaner and wax and they are both great. He's right in that P21S is somewhat hard to get. But, the same company that makes P21S also makes a line for motorcycles called S100. The products are identical except for the logo and the price. S100 is generally cheaper than P21S. No body knows why, but it is. And, you're not getting less product or anything like that.

The reason I say this is because most Harley dealers carry S100 products. I've heard of guys going to their local Harley dealer and buying all the S100 on the shelves.

P21S cleansing lotion = $13.95
    S100 cleansing lotion = $8.95

P21S pure paste wax = $31.95
    S100 pure paste wax = $14.95

By the way, nice write up Chinaboy!

hey chinaboy how much u charge for a full detail =O)
    i remember u said you do it on the side.

i avoid using dishwashing soap. it's dyes and fragrances have chemicals that can damage your clearcoat. if you're that serious about cleaning cars, you really should be using a soap designed for car washing. just my .02

Originally posted by Tenacious G
    i avoid using dishwashing soap. it's dyes and fragrances have chemicals that can damage your clearcoat. if you're that serious about cleaning cars, you really should be using a soap designed for car washing. just my .02
    I agree with most parts of this post, however, I DON'T reccommend washing the car continuously with dish soap. And I only recommend using BLUE DAWN SOAP for the full detail. Zaino bros. also recommend using it... but I mean in anycase, You are washing only to clean to the bare base of the clear, the rest of the chemicals are either flushed or picked up by the claybar and the pre-wax cleaner. So its proven safe. Trust me I am serious about detailing, and this is a safe and effective way to srub bare minimum.

ephatch member
    Try liquid Ivory. I like it better (cuts the most dirt off from what I've found). Soap won't harm your car, so don't worry. If it's safe enough for you to eat off of after you clean a plate with it, then it's safe enough for your paint. Almost all detailers will tell you that.

nice post, very informative. makes me want to go and start on mine

[QUOTE]Then use a new terry towel, fold the same way as before, once hotdog, then once hamburger style

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information