Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well, it's official. I'm finally going to Japan! Ideas?

Woo hoo! I'll be leaving June 25th and I'll be returning on July 7th. Now, the question is, what do I do in my free time? I have some "tours" planned in there, but most of my time will be free to use how I choose. I'd like to focus on checking out the local music scene, and of course the local domestic car scene. ;) I'll be spending the first three days in Tokyo, and the following two in Kyoto. After that, I have a 7 day unlimited train pass which I can use to go anywhere I'd like. I'll have a hotel in Tokyo, but I'll expect a night somewhere else in there. Anybody have any ideas? Addresses/websites are a plus!

For nightlife, go to Ropongi. Don't get any "massages" and don't buy drinks for girls there....especially if they're locals. you don't want to get into any trouble with the Yakusa (think that's how you spell it). in tokyo area, young people meet and hang out around Shinjuku. Kyoto is a cool spot. Take lots of pix. Are you going solo? good move on the rail pass btw. you'll save lots of money with it. have you thought about going to okinawa?
    Last edited by ecsahs3; 06-08-2004 at 06:53 PM.

creator of ephatch DownTheHatch's Avatar
    I wish I was going back yo!

I would see as much as you possibly can, I went to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and north to Gunma area and drove on some Initial D mountain passes.

Tokyo-
    Shibuya: Ramen and love hotels
    Harajuku: School girls, Takeshita St., African's selling Fubu clothes
    Shinjuku: Tall buildings, Tokyo Dome, Thunder Dolphin rollercoaster
    Ginza: Expensive shopping district
    Roppongi Hills: Best at night, go inside and check out all the shops and places to eat.
    Akihabara: Electronics district
    Odaiba: Clean and futuristic by the bay

Yokohama: Near the bay, China Town

Kyoto: Kyomizu Temple, historical landmarks, check out the temple that creaks as you walk through the halls, ancient shogun temple one of the few left.

Osaka: Osaka castle, gigantic restored green castle with gold accents, inside if basically a museum.

I had the privilage of staying in Sakura for sometime and they have National History Museum which was quite interesting. Theres plenty more to see besides this so just have an adventure.

If you want to go to a natural hot spring (onsen), Hokkaido is the best but closer to Tokyo the gunma area is great, about $12us gets you a day at one of these spas.

I had the 28Day rail pass and I wish I had used it to the full more, like gone to Hokkaido and Hiroshima completely north and completely south, but I will do that for sure when I go back.

I checked d1gp.co.jp and the next drift competition isnt until July 24th thats too bad cause thats pretty cool to see, but you will see plenty of badass cars no matter where you go.

I didnt visit Honda or Nissan but I know a few people on here have the address to Honda if you wanna pay a visit to them.

If you want to drop by a bookstore and pick up a lonely planet guide it will tell you all the sights and get you acquainted with the culture and customs of japan before you go, its a good travel guide, I believe it may have a train map but you can always get one of those when you arrive.

Make sure you have plans for getting from Narita airport to your hotel, the trains can be tricky. Cabs will take you directly where you want to go but are expensive, I think they start at 650yen no matter where you go.

HAVE FUN ITS GOING TO BE FREAKIN AWESOME YOU DONT EVEN KNOW

Originally posted by ecsahs3
    For nightlife, go to Ropongi. Don't get any "massages" and don't buy drinks for girls there....especially if they're locals. you don't want to get into any trouble with the Yakusa (think that's how you spell it). in tokyo area, young people meet and hang out around Shinjuku. Kyoto is a cool spot. Take lots of pix. Are you going solo? good move on the rail pass btw. you'll save lots of money with it. have you thought about going to okinawa?
    I'll stay far away from the Yakuza. I've familiarized myself with all of the do's and don'ts in Japanese society, so I should be able to avoid the nonsense. I was considering going with my girlfriend, but that didn't quite work out, and none of my good friends have the cash, so i'll be quite literally "flying solo".

Originally posted by DownTheHatch
    I wish I was going back yo!

I would see as much as you possibly can, I went to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and north to Gunma area and drove on some Initial D mountain passes.

I had the 28Day rail pass and I wish I had used it to the full more, like gone to Hokkaido and Hiroshima completely north and completely south, but I will do that for sure when I go back.

I checked d1gp.co.jp and the next drift competition isnt until July 24th thats too bad cause thats pretty cool to see, but you will see plenty of badass cars no matter where you go.

I didnt visit Honda or Nissan but I know a few people on here have the address to Honda if you wanna pay a visit to them.

If you want to drop by a bookstore and pick up a lonely planet guide it will tell you all the sights and get you acquainted with the culture and customs of japan before you go, its a good travel guide, I believe it may have a train map but you can always get one of those when you arrive.

Make sure you have plans for getting from Narita airport to your hotel, the trains can be tricky. Cabs will take you directly where you want to go but are expensive, I think they start at 650yen no matter where you go.

HAVE FUN ITS GOING TO BE FREAKIN AWESOME YOU DONT EVEN KNOW
    Were you there for a month? I saw some posts on here that you were away, but I haven't spent much time on the site recently. I have my hotels and trip to and from the airport worked out through the tour company who did my booking.

Any addresses or "hot spots" that you can recommend would be much appreciated.

Yea a whole month, I havnt got around to putting my pics up, but I have pics and vids from the D1 competition I'll be posting up.

I'm returning to Tokyo at the end of this month, so if you'd like to meet up (I can take you to Super Autobacs, Honda Headquarters or something), let me know. As you probably know, I spent October 2002 to April 2004 in Tokyo, so I know it pretty well. Shoot me over an private message or email MrTragedy@aol.com
    Last edited by Tragedy; 06-09-2004 at 01:16 AM.

Originally posted by ecsahs3
    Dude, Roppongi is sleazy and run-down (except for Roppongi Hills), and it's full of dirty foreigners...including me! =P

Shinjuku: Tokyo Dome
    Tokyo Dome isn't in Shinjuku. :p Hehe, sorry, had to.

Oops hehe, well whereever tokyo dome is, you gotta check it out.;)

Unicron loves the shocker seattlecivic's Avatar

Please!?

can you pack me in your suit case? i'll carry your bags... I want to go :-(

Originally posted by Tragedy
    I'm returning to Tokyo at the end of this month, so if you'd like to meet up (I can take you to Super Autobacs, Honda Headquarters or something), let me know. As you probably know, I spent October 2002 to April 2004 in Tokyo, so I know it pretty well. Shoot me over an private message or email MrTragedy@aol.com
    Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
    Woo hoo! I'll be leaving June 25th and I'll be returning on July 7th.
    What day are you leaving?

I'll be staying at the Grand Palace Hotel in Toyko, and Rihga Royal Hotel in Kyoto.

Oops hehe, well whereever tokyo dome is, you gotta check it out.;)
    How did you arrange to have a car while you were there? I saw your comment about driving on the mountain passes...

I have friends :)

You can apply for an international license before you leave, Im not sure about the specifics but I hear you have to buy it here and then you can drive in another country.

I have friends :)

You can apply for an international license before you leave, Im not sure about the specifics but I hear you have to buy it here and then you can drive in another country.
    '

It's not illegal to use a Int'l license in Japan. If you had one before the law went into effect, then you're safe, but if you get a new one, it's invalid in Japan.

Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
    What day are you leaving?

I'll be staying at the Grand Palace Hotel in Toyko, and Rihga Royal Hotel in Kyoto.

Grand Palace Hotel? Damn, you baller. I know where that is! It's next to the Kudanshita station. Nearby is the Iidabashi station where the Oedo Line is. We'll use the Oedo line to go to Honda Headquarters.

I'm arriving on June 28th, but since my apartment won't be ready until June 30th, I'll be staying at a friend's house in Ichikawa (About 30 mins from your hotel). I could probably meet up with you on the 29th if I don't have anything to do. We'll talk more about this thru PMs and Email.

Sorry I wasn't more specific, what I meant to ask was what day are you leaving Tokyo for Kyoto?

See ya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information