Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    patiently waiting... SLOazzEPhatch's Avatar

Unhappy What have I done?!?!? (misshift)

I won't go into details, but i accidently went from the top of 3rd gear(6800rpms) to 2nd.

*How bad is that?
    *What should i check out on the car?
    *If it is running ok should i be worried?

I have never seen the RPMs that high ever. They were at about where the 9500rpm hash would be if the car had it :'(

I've done it too, your good just try not to do it again

If it's running okay, you're probably fine. If you broke something you wouldn't have gotten home.

consider yourself lucky. most people turn their engine into mush when they do that. WHEwwwww!
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

I did that a few months after i had my car..but i was in 5th and dropped it to 2nd :shockm: But it wasnt there for to long

Quote Originally Posted by SubliminalSi
    I did that a few months after i had my car..but i was in 5th and dropped it to 2nd :shockm: But it wasnt there for to long
    yeah but i went hard into 2nd. I was goofying around and playing with this guy in a 92si hatch w/a b16 :angelm: UNFORTUNATLY I accidently bounced off the rev limiter in third before i shifted.

Go to HONDA right away and have them check your freeze data. You probably hit at least 12k when you did that. If you did have them do a leak down test and compression test and check the valve retainers at the same time. Trust me thats what I did and thats what led to my motor blowing later.

Its gonna cost some money to have them check it out but do it!!!! NO JOKE!!

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisITR
    Go to HONDA right away and have them check your freeze data. You probably hit at least 12k when you did that. If you did have them do a leak down test and compression test and check the valve retainers at the same time. Trust me thats what I did and thats what led to my motor blowing later.

Its gonna cost some money to have them check it out but do it!!!! NO JOKE!!

but i have no money right now...oh and what happens if there is something wrong? it is not like i can fix it. i am not being mean or anything. just saying i can't do anything if there is anything wrong with the car. any easy way to check the motor out?
    Last edited by SLOazzEPhatch; 06-23-2004 at 09:53 PM.

ephatch member
    I've done it to. Still seems to be fine. I do the 1-2 and 2-3 grind more than anything. I've gone through transmissions on Hondas before, and it can take quite a bit to serverly damage them. But I think we all can agree that the EPs tranny has to be a Honda bastard child. I'm very disapointed in the EPs tranny. Well, I don't want to turn this into another "Tranny Sucks" thread.

Why does everyone do this? There are threads all the time on it. Is it that hard to shift? Just take your time. Why slam the shifter around?

I got some helpful advice last time I posted a topic on this subject. Just reverse grip the shifter. Face your palm away with your thumb pointing down. It helped a lot.

I mis shifted yesterday, when from middle of 4th to 3rd, which wasnt too bad, but it scared the shit out of me. I had other stuff in my hand while I was trying to shift.....don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by CivilengSI
    I got some helpful advice last time I posted a topic on this subject. Just reverse grip the shifter. Face your palm away with your thumb pointing down. It helped a lot.
    that is exactly how i shifted it. that is how i misshifted :'(

i haven't heard anything really bad. there is a slight valve tap, but i think that is just cause i am a 1/2 quart low.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOazzEPhatch
    but i have no money right now...oh and what happens if there is something wrong? it is not like i can fix it. i am not being mean or anything. just saying i can't do anything if there is anything wrong with the car. any easy way to check the motor out?
    If there is something wrong then later down the road you will probably drop a valve like I did. At least take it in and get the freeze data to see how hight you spun the motor. If you spun it up around 8-9k you should be okay but if it went even higher....not sure what to tell ya. You shouldnt really have any probs if its your first time to do it, you didnt spin it over 10k and you never use Hondata on that motor until you have checked it out. This my opinion just cause I went thru the same shit with a motor blowing at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisITR
    If there is something wrong then later down the road you will probably drop a valve like I did. At least take it in and get the freeze data to see how hight you spun the motor. If you spun it up around 8-9k you should be okay but if it went even higher....not sure what to tell ya. You shouldnt really have any probs if its your first time to do it, you didnt spin it over 10k and you never use Hondata on that motor until you have checked it out. This my opinion just cause I went thru the same shit with a motor blowing at the end.
    this was my first and only time to do that. however i dunno where i was on the scale of RPMs. how high would you be if you were topping out 3rd and went to 2nd? what is the RPM diff between 2nd and 3rd? ANY of your input is greatly appreciated NemesisITR. You are one of the few that have probably done it as bad as i have. i am just scared that if it blows i won't have any money to fix it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information