Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Mugen SS Questions

I am so torn over what suspension to get, but after reading through all the post it seems Mugen might be a good choice for a daily driver that does not need adjustable suspension.
    I have around $900 to $1200 to spend.
    Ok so onto the questions.

1. With the stock suspension when accelerating it seems like my ep is sitting on a seesaw, will the Mugen suspension get rid of the dropping of the rear end when accelerating?
    2. Is it stiffer or softer than stock?
    3. Has rust been a problem?
    4. How is the install?
    5. Would anyone have a better suggestion for a drop of around 1.5"

Quote Originally Posted by slc71
    the spring rates are not that much stiffer than stock. but there the Mugen makes up for it is the dampers are stiffer, meaning they'll work in conjunction with the springs to help reduce body roll.

try PMing trk, he has the Mugen SS and auto-xs on them quite a bit so he's probably got a good feel for them.

1. With the stock suspension when accelerating it seems like my ep is sitting on a seesaw, will the Mugen suspension get rid of the dropping of the rear end when accelerating?
    3. Has rust been a problem?
    4. How is the install?
    1) no seesaw action. in fact when you go around a corner fast the nose feels like its up in the air. The car DOES not compress upon braking or throttle.

2) stiffer .. but not much. At slow speeds over bumpy ground is the most obvious thing you feel ... at speeds you can FLY over a pot hole and barely feel it ... also you can go up and down the freeway "lumps" without losing composure. Meaning; NO bouncyness at high speeds.

3) Not yet.... even on Colorado salty shitty roads. FYI, I've had them for almost a year.

4) Cake. Easier then springs.

5) 1.5 ---- TEIN Flex? I would NOT go d2 or kw ... seems like people are having issues adjusting those. I for one think its overkill unless you know what your are doing suspension wise and plan on making changes to gain tenths of seconds in racing.

Hope that helps..

Thanks. It does.
    I don't want to mess with all the adjustable height. Damper I would not mind but mugen seems like a good choice.

no prob man.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by slc71
    Tein SS. Almost the same price, but adjustable and MUCH lighter.

i have the mugen ss, and my car feels like a whole new animal. oh, wait... maybe that's because i have so much bird crap on it at the moment. :) anyway...

cornering is more precise. there's no bump steer like i had with the progress springs. the bumpy and potholed roads around here are a little jarring, but the ride is sweet on the open road. all around, the car feels more stable and solid. the progress rear sway helps, too.

i chose the mugen setup because i really have no need for adjustability. it seems like they really did their r&d on this kit, too. i hope it lasts awhile.

choose wisely!

I really just want something that is better handling than stock and does not jar my teeth out of my head. Also I have to get rid of the minivan look, I cry every time I see my poor car. I thought about taking my 15" rims and 32" tires off the truck and sticking on the honda, giving it a normal look. :D
    This is all good stuff what would I do without the ep community!

Ditto what trk says. I like mine, and if I'm lucky, I might get to enjoy it more through a couple hours of course time on Monday by helping out at an SCCA novice school.

ephatch member
    I have no complaints at all with mine. They are just about as perfect as you can get for the street. I believe they are made by the same company that makes the stock suspesnsion- Showa. That right there gave me peace of mind when I got mine.

Quote Originally Posted by trk
    1) no seesaw action. in fact when you go around a corner fast the nose feels like its up in the air. The car DOES not compress upon braking or throttle.
    no shit man, turn fast and the nose feels like it comes up. i emailed trk before i bought my ss and his opinions and webpage had me sold!

peace

I just got the mugen SS installed and my skunk2 coilovers removed. Under normal driving, there's little difference. It does feel more solid but that's about it. When I took it in the twisties, I actually caught myself smiling. It's amazing. Words can't describe. Skunk2 is nothing compared to the mugen SS.
    Last edited by i-WERKS; 06-27-2004 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by i-WERKS
    I just got the mugen SS installed and my skunk2 coilovers removed. Under normal driving, there's little difference. It does feel more solid but that's about it. When I took it in the twisties, I actually caught myself smiling. It's amazing. Words can't describe. Skunk2 is nothing compared to the mugen SS.
    Interesting. Good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by i-WERKS
    ... Skunk2 is nothing compared to the mugen SS.
    Hmm, I thought they'd be "same shit, different day," as they say. Wouldn't expect such a substantial difference.

I'd have to ride in (or drive, maybe?) some cars with various springs & coilovers to see for myself how they compare with my Mugen setup. The only bad thing I've heard so far is, "Well, they're not adjustable," but that's usually not a deal-breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi
    Hmm, I thought they'd be "same shit, different day," as they say. Wouldn't expect such a substantial difference.

I'd have to ride in (or drive, maybe?) some cars with various springs & coilovers to see for myself how they compare with my Mugen setup. The only bad thing I've heard so far is, "Well, they're not adjustable," but that's usually not a deal-breaker.
    When i first went out for a test drive, I thought that too. After taking some turns, I was a very happy man. You'll only know the difference when you drive it. Keep in mind, I was lowered on stock shocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information