Close

02si

Springs and how they act or perform

Are there any definitive observations people would like to make on springs/coils that they've installed on the ep including specifics on ride quality and harshness.

It would be good to get observations in one thread.

With my progress springs, I'd say the handling is superb! I can take very hard coners at higher speeds with a lot more covidence. Of course I still get tire squeal with these stock tires. I am able to take a "turn-around" (here in Texas they have some u turns that are on the interstate roads in the local area...they are very small u turns) on the interstate at about 45mph and come out of it going 60mph. Very impressive, seeing how anything above 30 I was scared of losing control with my stock springs.
    The ride feels stock when going on a striaght even road.
    On uneven roads the ride still feels nice and not too stiff.
    On roads that are very, very uneven...i.e. the ones that have dips and pot holes galore...I get a big jolting jump feeling. I think that upgraded shocks will eliminate that problem. I got mine from www.optauto.com
    Also with a progress front and rear sway bar in conjunction with the springs, I supposedly can obtain a .97g on the skidpad.

when i read some info on the new progress civic pkge, (springs and both sways) it said,

"The progress springs are optimized for OEM civic si struts."

its safe to assume that aftermarket shocks are needed....?:o

Originally posted by !@#$%
    when i read some info on the new progress civic pkge, (springs and both sways) it said,

"The progress springs are optimized for OEM civic si struts."

its safe to assume that aftermarket shocks are needed....?:o
    the shocks will be just fine. I'm basically saying that for the person that wants even better performance, to go with some aftermarket shocks

02si
    If progress makes that claim they've got a jump on other spring manufacturers .

I'm into the whole import seen but I'm not one to figure out which spring rate is going to give me that firm ride but not to stiff.

And I really want to keep the stock shocks. In the past Ihad the koni yellow with prokit setup on another car and they were just to harsh for city use.
    I probably was only able to use them at about 1/4 of their dyanmic limits and the satisfaction of performance was usually offset by jolting potholes and road nuances.

I like honda cars and performance/aesthetic drops shouldn't have to be so ruff.

When I first bought the ep I thought to myself like these shocks seem so tight they could probably take a nice drop and still perform/ride pretty well.

My mechanic would probably beg to differ but hey that was my initial impression.

Originally posted by 02si
    If progress makes that claim they've got a jump on other spring manufacturers .

I was taking some tight corners this morning (5:30am) at 80mph plus! It was awsome, but scary. The tires scream, but the car just keeps going. I'm loving these springs. I can't wait till the 17th to go autoxing

Canuck
    I've thoroughly enjoyed my Eibach Pro-kits, handling has improved a huge amount, ride is very comfortable, moderate drop, and I know the stock shocks will last a long time with these sprnigs, which I plan to keep. I don't know anything about other springs, but I wouldn't get rid of my Pro-kits for any other brand as Eibach seems to have given me the perfect spring for my tastes.

...phone's ringin' Dude.. 02TafWhtSi's Avatar
    Originally posted by JSIR
    I've thoroughly enjoyed my Eibach Pro-kits, handling has improved a huge amount, ride is very comfortable, moderate drop, and I know the stock shocks will last a long time with these sprnigs, which I plan to keep. I don't know anything about other springs, but I wouldn't get rid of my Pro-kits for any other brand as Eibach seems to have given me the perfect spring for my tastes.
    my thoughts exactly! I have nothing but great things to say for these springs although they could lower the car just a tad bit more...but otherwise awesome!

Canuck
    just curious if anyone found their stock Civic a bit twitchy at high speeds, straight line speeds around 100 mph+ ?. I found that mine had a very nervous feeling at high speeds with the stock supsension, I would start to let off the gas around 100 mph or so - it fealt real floaty, best way to describe it .

But since I got my new springs the car feels so much more stable at higher speeds, it's a huge difference. Pulling past 100 mph is so stable now. I think the lowered height has a lot to do with it with less air getting under the car, a front lip may help even further. The stiffer spring rates especially in the rear probably help a lot too. Just one more benefit that I have noticed since my springs have been installed.

As for the drop, Eibach claims 1.1 inch drop for the Pro-Kits, I seemed to get a bit more drop than that, probably in the area approaching 1.5 inches or just under. I like the drop of these springs, not overly slammed, definitely much, much, better than stock height. well that's all I have to add.
    Last edited by JSIR; 11-02-2002 at 10:19 PM.

Originally posted by JSIR
    just curious if anyone found their stock Civic a bit twitchy at high speeds, straight line speeds around 100 mph+ ?. I found that mine had a very nervous feeling at high speeds with the stock supsension, I would start to let off the gas around 100 mph.

But since I got my new springs the car feels so much more stable at higher speeds, it's a huge difference. Pulling past 100 mph is so stable now. I think the lowered height has a lot to do with it with less air getting under the car, as well as stiffer spring rates especially in the rear. I also have an RSX-S rear sway bar but that shouldn't affect high speed straight line stability. Just one more benefit that I have noticed since my springs have been installed.
    oh, yeah, I had that same feeling. It was kinda scary with the stock springs when going fast. No problem now

Thread Information