Close

CEL, defouler, o2 sensor question

so back in july i installed an OBX V2 race header and the Skunk2 Megapower R exhaust. i've been driving around sicne then with a CEL on which i could care less about. unfortunately its inspection time and the CEL needs to go away. i bought the vibrant right angle defouler from corsport. i was bringing my car to my buddy's shop to do an oil change and to get new brakes on saturday so i had them put on the defouler while i was there. I had to leave while they were waiting for the brakes to arrive and get installed.

when i got my car back later that day, my buddy told me that they put the defouler on the secondary o2 sensor but the CEL came back on. they ran the code and i was told its the primary o2 sensor thats now throwing the code (not sure exactly what code it is)

i drove the car around saturday night and the CEL randomly turned off. it stayed off all day sunday until i went to drive home after a superbowl party. i started my car up and the CEL came back on and has been on since then.

now assuming that the code throwing the CEL is actually the primary o2 sensor and no longer the secondary since i have the defouler on, is there anything i can do to get rid of the CEL without replacing the primary o2 sensor? i just dont wanna drop $150 on a primary sensor and still have my CEL on...

if i can put off having to do this for a few months that would be better since i am an accountant and am now in my busy season... so if anyone in jersey knows of any shops that i can pay a few extra $$ to pass inspection and get a new sticker until i have time to actually diagnose the issue that would help too.

any advice or help would be great with this... i have till the end of the month to get inspected.

In my experience, if the primary is bad, you have to replace it. For temporary fix, which might still not help you pass the emissions you could clean up the sensor, since you have a raceheader on, and/or put premium gas. But a chance of it helping with emission testing is very low... Just my .02 cents. Unless, like you said, u'll find somebody who could pass you, but that money you pay somebody for that could be spent towards the sensor...

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Reset the battery and see if it comes back on. If it does suck it up and pay

yeah i reset the battery. it turns off for like 10 mins and then comes back on. guess ill just go get a primary sensory and hope that does the trick

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Yea not enough time to pass emissions

exactly. im just gonna get a new primary and hope thats all it is.

thanks for the advice

Thread Information