Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Khumo Ecsta MX

Khumo Ecsta MX

What can you guys tell me about these tires? I need to replace my rubbers BAD! I got my EP with Michelin Pilot Sports. Great wheel, BUT, it's an all season tire, and my car's winter stored......so what's the point?!

Anyways, tell me about your experience with the Ecsta MX please!! :winkm:

supposed to be very sticky...a summer only tire. A lot of Auto-x guys use them...

Like the azenis, they don't have very good treadlife, but hey neither do any other hi-performance tires.

what he said.....

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by anjapower
    supposed to be very sticky...a summer only tire. A lot of Auto-x guys use them...

Like the azenis, they don't have very good treadlife, but hey neither do any other hi-performance tires.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have Azenis for AutoXing...and I LOVE them. If I could afford to, I'd run them as daily drivers...but I'm not rich. lol

MX's and Azenis should be used ONLY for raceday purposes...otherwise, you'll be replacing them EVERY YEAR. A friend had them as his daily drivers, and he got about 8k miles out of them before they were bald and showing threads....so yeah....they don't last long...but are the BEST for the grip! :D

my friend has em on his gti. they are very nice and alot longer life than the azenis. also great in the rain compared to azenis. i say go for em. when i need tires, thats what i would be getting.

Thanks for the replies! I'm still up in the air about it... Also considering some Hankook VENTUS K104's. Don't know much about them though either.

Also what do you guys recommend for sidewall on 17's? 40? 45?

I think comparing a Hankoo Ventus to a Ecsta MX is much like comparing a Kia Sephia to an EVO performance wise. One is a cheap, low performing tire, the other one is a more expensive, much higher performing tire.

I'd recommend you get a 215/45/17...

You're saying Hankook's are cheap? The reason I'm asking, is cause I can get a good deal on them. They MSRP at $499 (Canadian) a pop. I can get a set at $139.97 per tire!

*edit* why do you prefer the 45, over the 40? Is a softer ride the only benefit?
    Last edited by SmoothOperator; 07-09-2004 at 08:26 AM.

Hankooks are awful tires..there's nothing good besides the low price.

40 series will throw off your speedo, you will log on more miles, and you're more likely to bend a wheel with a skinnier sidewall...215/45 will alleviate all of those problems

Thanks for the insight anja, much appreciated. To think i've been rolling on 40's this whole time!!

Actually I've heard decent reviews about the Hankook Ventus K104s. I hear they are very much comparable to Yokohama ES100s because of their overal traction in wet/dry and have decent treadwear ratings. Plus, nothing beats a cheap price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8buddha
    my friend has em on his gti. they are very nice and alot longer life than the azenis. also great in the rain compared to azenis. i say go for em. when i need tires, thats what i would be getting.
    Go with the Ecsta MX's...you will not be disappointed.

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by anjapower
    Hankooks are awful tires..there's nothing good besides the low price.

40 series will throw off your speedo, you will log on more miles, and you're more likely to bend a wheel with a skinnier sidewall...215/45 will alleviate all of those problems

Not only that...but much more noticable...THE RIDE WILL BE MUCH BETTER ON 45's...ESPECIALLY with 17" rims. Yer already lookin' at a rough ride..so go with 45's and it'll be a bit better....and safer. ;)

Oh...if you want a REALLY good tire....just get some Hoosiers.... :D (I can dream can't I? lol) :'(

Think I'm gonna go with the Khumos. Thanks for all your input. I'm currently running on 205/40/17. Would a 215 fit my wheel?

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothOperator
    Think I'm gonna go with the Khumos. Thanks for all your input. I'm currently running on 205/40/17. Would a 215 fit my wheel?

It should.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information