Close

...phone's ringin' Dude.. 02TafWhtSi's Avatar

Bad ride quality w/ 17's?

Just curious if those of you w/ 17 wheels/tires are upset by the ride quality. I'm seriously considering a set but my area has some pretty bad roads. BTW, I have already installed a set of Eibach Pro-Kits which really didn't make the ride w/ the stock 15's all that bad - hardly noticable. I know I'll be giving up some ride quality for better handling but was unsure if it will be unbearable for everday driving.

ephatch member
    Yeah, i have heard horror stories about the roads over there. I heard that they start road construction and leave half way with all the shit still on the side of the road and dont finish. Horrible.

You are not going to see a major decrease in ride quality with 17s. As long as your shox are in good condition you shoudl be okay. The pro kits are very good compromise for looks and comfort.

Keep in mind though, you get what you pay for. With the roads being so bad over there, i expect a lot of the shitty rims to bend and crack very easily. Especially with a low profile tire. If you can save up and buy a better quality wheel, it will save you in the end.

What wheels were you looking at anyhow?

Yeah - and I'm not even in the worst parts! North of me by about 15 miles is the worst roads I've ever seen - in and around Newark across from the city is absolutley horrible. The worst are those huge potholes that you only see as you crash into them - a really nice way to f' up a new set of wheels and put your new allignment to waste. Anyway, if I did go w/ the 17's I would most likely buy a complete set, mounted and balanced from www.tirerack.com. I just bought my new 205/55/zr15 Bridgestones from them a couple months ago and they were really fast and helpful. I will definitely buy another set of Bridgestone Potenza S-03's but this time sized 215/45/zr17 - they are really great! As for the wheels - I'm not too picky - nothing chrome or "ghetto style" though - nice and simple. Maybe a clean 5 spoke? I'm still looking through their website.

ephatch member
    There are a few that tire rack sells that are really a good buy. And, of course they are great to deal with.

Check out the Kosei K1's. Light and strong. Also, OZ superlegerras, are also very light in their respective sizes.

I ll be running the K1's in 16 with a totally wrong offset

Originally posted by DocofMind
    I ll be running the K1's in 16 with a totally wrong offset
    I never really understood what "offset" is...

ephatch member
    Basically, offset is desrcibing the location of the center of the wheel. WHat it means is the position of the wheel in your wheel well. The lower the number, the more the wheel pushes out towards the lip of the fender.

The EP should run anywhere between a 38mm offset and a 45mm offset. WHen i said i was going to run the incorrect offset, the wheels are 32mm meaning that they may rub when lowered against the fender lip.

and Tirerack should have these numbers available?

I like 17" i wish there are ways of testing before you buy.......Gezz im pickey.......I need anthor beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpax View Post
    I like 17" i wish there are ways of testing before you buy.......Gezz im pickey.......I need anthor beer.
    You and your beer. lol

depend on the tires and the type of wheels u are getting. i am running on 16s and it doesn't effect the ride at all.

I agree it is also the tire you are running.

this is a 6yr old thread guys

WTF with the old threads popping up?

it might have something to do with the forum being set back 4 years.

Thread Information