Close

headers, hi-flow cat, midpipe (etc) questions

I'm looking to start on my exhaust to get some more gains of my car. I'm currently sporting an ebay CAI. I'm looking to get headers, possibly a high-flow cat, a midpipe and eventually an axelback exhaust.

With a high-flow cat will I be able to pass an emissions test?

Should I buy a full catback system (evo2 etc), or would I be better off going with a midpipe and using that extra money for the high-flow cat and headers? And in which order should I purchase/install the mods?

What kind of gains would I be looking at with Intake, headers, high flow cat, and exhaust?

I apologize ahead of time if any of these questions have already been addressed in detail. I've been searching and reading around for about two hours now, I just would like to fill in the blanks before I get to work ;]

don't quote me on this but the high flow cat should be fine becuase its still a cat. it depends on your exhuast fumes. it should pass visual cuz the cat's there. Just buy a cat back exhuast saves you the trouble of piecing something together.

if you open it all up I/H/C/E you can get 10 hp or so

the midpipe (prob. a T1-R made by spoon $275) will provide the same gains as a full catback it's if you want the look of a shiny muffler and the sound

for headers there are the shorty versions (DC$300, Comptech$500, HP racing$200) and the Race headers (DC, Toda, Spoon--DC is $300 Toda&Spoon 1k+)

The shorty headers will allow you to use the factory cat or a high flow cat. Note: the Megan racing high flow cat ($75) is a test pipe, you'll def. fail emissions and want to get the Caspers o2 sim($75) to avoid the CEL. You can get a real highflow cat (magnaflow & others $200) and have them weld you something to fit, but w/this setup you'll pass emissions

The race headers are great for making power but, you'll fail emissions and need the Caspers 02 also. You will need to install a Type-S midpipe or have yours custom modified (chop 3" off and weld on a flange) as the race headers are RSX spec. only. The race header replaces both the factory header and cat as one unit. This is where is power comes from. The factory shorty header w/its 8" primaries and no secondaries can only do so much. With the pipes longer and by adding secondaries the power is nice.

***the thing i've wondered about is if w/a race header could you get univ. high flow cat and weld it in the midpipe. Basically moving the cat further back in the car so you could get the power and still pass emissions.

Q:With a high-flow cat will I be able to pass an emissions test?
    A: No

Q:Should I buy a full catback system (evo2 etc)
    A: Yes

Q: would I be better off going with a midpipe and using that extra money for the high-flow cat and headers? And in which order should I purchase/install the mods?
    A: No, get a race header instead

Dont run the race header or high flow cat with an o2 sensor. Why? Check out the thread below. Run a K-Pro to correct the CEL instead.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42427
    Last edited by raiyo; 07-16-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Well my number 1 goal is streetability. Would it be reasonable to run around with the "high-flow cat" (test pipe) and then throw on my stock cat when I go to have an inspection? From what I understand the megan high flow cat looks like a cat, and even then.. my car is lowered two inches with skirts, I don't think anyone would be able to see under to see the lack of an OEM cat.

So I guess the race header idea wouldn't suit me. Would it be practical to have a true high flow cataletic converter (magnaflow) possibly welded onto a custom midpipe? I'm really just looking to get the most performance out of a shorty header setup, because I want to be able to re-install my OEM cat if needed without any customization work.

"The guy thought it was the o2 sim. turns out it may have been a bad ground." From the sound of it, it wasnt the o2 sim that fried his ECU (?)

DC Headers (ceramic?), megan test pipe (and O2 sim), and evo2.. anyone running this setup? What kind of dyno numbers are produced with this in conjunction with CAI?
    Last edited by blaketion; 07-16-2004 at 12:23 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by blaketion
    DC Headers (ceramic?), megan test pipe (and O2 sim), and evo2.. anyone running this setup? What kind of dyno numbers are produced with this in conjunction with CAI?
    There's a bunch of us using this combo - you'll have to search around for exact dyno numbers, though. But I'd estimate I'm getting 150-155ish with CAI, DC headers (shorty) megan test pipe and Hondata reflash. (The headers and test pipe are for sale, btw).

There's nothing really wrong with using an 02 sim - hundreds have done it with no ill effects. *One* guy happens to install it wrong (or something) and everyone flakes out, but fsugatorbait and I have both had it for 6k+ miles (at least) with no problems.

EDIT: I don't know what inspections in TX are like, but my test pipe would probably pass a visual inspection (looks like a cat, 02 sensors plug in, etc). It would likely not pass a "sniffer" test, though, since it's not a true catalytic converter. The nice thing about it is that it does bolt in perfectly to the OEM headers/catback (or a DC header and aftermarket catback) so removing it/reinstalling it, while not something I'd do every week, wouldn't be so bad if it were once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    The nice thing about it is that it does bolt in perfectly to the OEM headers/catback (or a DC header and aftermarket catback) so removing it/reinstalling it, while not something I'd do every week, wouldn't be so bad if it were once a year.
    That's what I was hoping to hear! :]

Quote Originally Posted by blaketion
    So I guess the race header idea wouldn't suit me. Would it be practical to have a true high flow cataletic converter (magnaflow) possibly welded onto a custom midpipe? I'm really just looking to get the most performance out of a shorty header setup
    This is where I am at too. After looking around, I think I'm going to go the DC ceramic shorty route, with the Greddy EVO2 cat-back. Now as I understand it, Random Technologies make a Hi-Flo cat (not a test pipe, a real cat with lots of flowage)for our cars. And, I'm told, no weldingis needed. It's a direct bolt-on piece. Replaces OEM cat.
    Factory spec bolt-on applications front to back, I like it!

im gonna go with the dc shorty header/t1r mid pipe combo....dont want the noise of an aftermarket cat-back but stil want some gains...i have the v2 intake also

Thread Information