Close

APEX N1.. Resonator or not?

got the universal N1.. should i keep the resonator on or not.. how loud is it with and without the resonator.. lol, i know its a hard question to answer

Its loud! :) VERY BASSY and LOUD!!! If you are worried about sound be sure to get the reonator installed. !! IMO -joe.

since i could care less about decibel levels, I just want the performance aspect of straight flow through muffler with a non resonated midsection. --Joe. :)

ephatch member
    You should DEF run a resonator inline. First of all, it does not rob any power and it will make a much more pleasant sound. Honda's are notorious for raspy sounding shit. Keep your cat and put in a resonator. Also, do not exceed a 2.25 pipe diameter unles going FI. Keep those as guidelines and you should get a much better flowing great sounding exhaust.

ephatch member

Wink

keep the resonator!

i got the 2.5in. NA muffler.. should i have gotten the 2.25? will it matter that i have 2.25 pipe with a 2.5in muffler?

" First of all, it does not rob any power and it will make a much more pleasant sound. Honda's are notorious for raspy sounding shit"

1. resonators DO rob power (not much but it does!) Due to their design the resonators that i have seen (if looking into it) you see little ribs raised from the resonator walls. this slows the exhaust gas and creates turbulence within the exhaust changing the note. Non the less it effects flow.
    2. Do you have an 02 si with a catback exhaust???? You are correct that the old d/b series honda engines sound raspy as all hell, but the new 2.0 liter engines(k series) have a TOTALLY different note, VERY BASSY!!!! Ill take a vid tomorrow of my exhaust and post it. Once again if you are concerned with loudness get the resonator, better yet buy a muffler and a silencer, long drives, throw the silencer in, track days take it out. A better, cheaper soloution IMO . :) --Joe

Port, dont worry your N1 will be fine! You get it installed yet? how do you like it? --Joe :)

ephatch member
    The diameter of your muffler is fine. We even run the 3 inch on some of the higher horsepower NA cars.

02blksi, dont get me wrong, you are correct in what you say. The change in air flow is there, but seiorusly, its so minute. I cant even imagine it being more than 1 horse.

We have even dyno tests with removing the catalytic converter and saw hardly any difference.

What I got from his post, was that he is building a street car and looking for a bit more from the exhaust, not an all out exhaust.

Also, the N1 offers silencers that you can buy seperately for 20 bux or so. But that robs even more power.

docofmind. -- can you let me know where i can get a silencer for the N1? (the real N1 Apexi) . I see what you were trying to get at in your post btw. I just prefer putting a silencer in you know. alot easier and less$$ but im cheap. --joe :)

ephatch member
    Originally posted by 02blksi
    docofmind. -- can you let me know where i can get a silencer for the N1? (the real N1 Apexi) . I see what you were trying to get at in your post btw. I just prefer putting a silencer in you know. alot easier and less$$ but im cheap. --joe :)
    Joe, its actually really not that expensive. Your talking about 30 to 40 bux max for a nice stainless resonator. Thermal actually has some really nice ones.

The problem with sourcing Apexi parts are that there are a plethera of gray market dealers now in the US. Many dont stock anything.

Which size did you get, the smaller of the two? I may be able to get you one on shipment.

Re: APEX N1.. Resonator or not?

Originally posted by PoRT
    got the universal N1.. should i keep the resonator on or not.. how loud is it with and without the resonator.. lol, i know its a hard question to answer
    are you planning on keeping the stock resonator? I don't reccomend doing that, however, you do want a resonator in the midpipe if you have an n1.

Make sure the inlet & outlet of the resonator are the same as the diameter piping you choose for the midpipe. Try and find a perforated core glass pack resonator. The really good ones will NOT have the raised perforations - if you look through the inside or the resonator, it will just look like the pipe has smooth sides. These are not as effective at quieting down the exhaust, but will create less turbulence in the exhaust stream leading to faster exhaust flow through the silencer.

Your apex'i n1 is essentially a perforated (with the smooth perforations) core resonator in a stainless steel case with a fancy tip ;)

Thread Information