Close

Question crankcase filter

does anybody know where i can buy a crankcase filter? The small ones for the head of the engine? if i had one of these would i wouldnt need to connect any hosing from the intake to it i assume.....due to the fact that the filter is already there.

can somebody shed some light on this and tell me what advantages there are to having one. I think maybe gibhunter has one on his base rsx.....when he showed the hm intake. I might be wrong on the sn.... :)

crankcase filter is the tiny white one

thanks for the pics gibhunter

*all pics copyrighted under gibhunter * :p
    Last edited by !@#$%; 11-05-2002 at 10:36 AM.

Still Around...
    usually people use them because the tube has no where to go back into the home-made intake. All it's doing is exhausting unburnt vapors back into the intake (when it's connected)... so the advantage of putting a filter on the end of an exposed tube is because it doesn't smell so great (it'll vent into your car), and so nothing gets into the head.

oh, and you can buy the filters at Pep Boys.

Canuck
    there is no bigger waste of money than a crankcase filter. You're better off spending the money on an air freshener IMO. I'm still of the opinion that they do more harm than good ,but that is just my $.02.

I think that it is there more to prevent stuff from getting into your engine. . . IMHO

Crank Case Filter

The only good thing about that filter is that you don't suck up oil vapors in to your intake manifold. In a year fom now you will be happy you put it on your car because you wont have to clean your intake manifold out. Also you wont get the oil residue on your valves. Both will robb you of power. Now the down side having this filter is a emmisions ticket. In some states and in Canada you could get a $200 fine.

Latez:)

"The only good thing about that filter is that you don't suck up oil vapors in to your intake manifold. In a year fom now you will be happy you put it on your car because you wont have to clean your intake manifold out. Also you wont get the oil residue on your valves. Both will robb you of power. Now the down side having this filter is a emmisions ticket. In some states and in Canada you could get a $200 fine.

Latez"

Im sorry you are wrong.
    The crankcase tube takes air into the head, the PCV valve is what blows hot oil and vapor back into the intake manifold. By using a breather filter your are hindering your engines ability to rid itself of the blowby gases (via the PCV). My suggestion is, reinstall the tube into your intake (breather tube) and install a catch can inline with the stock PCV system. --Joe :)

EDIT: BTW if you ever see oil vapor escaping through the breather tube, then my friend you can kiss your engine goodbye, because oil vapor escaping there means your rings are shot and you are getting blowby past your pistons into your head. This can be further confirmed via a compression/leakdown test . FYI :)

see pic:
    Last edited by 02blksi; 11-24-2002 at 05:11 PM.

Official explanation for that tube (where I put the filter) is that there are extra gasses there and that engine expels them into the air box keeping it's emissions from escaping into the atmosphere. That's why the intake manufacturers provide a way to connect it to their intakes to be able to get CARB certification. So theoretically the breather filter is not needed there, but I put it on just in case. Moisture can get in easier, so can dust. A breather filter should help keeping both out.

When the mass of air inside the valve cover cools, it would pull a vacum and be capable of sucking in dust which would be bad. . .

ssvr6
    Joe, aren't you worried about the braided vinyl line melting? Why didn't you use a fuel line?

Steve

Steve that line i used has a temprature rating right on it of 530Deg F and its reinforced tubing (notice the white lines in it) Its very rigid. You can use fuel line as well, I just like the clear line because i can see thru it ! There fore i know its working. Hope that clears some things up --Joe :)

ssvr6
    Really? Looks like standard vinyl braided line to me (I know what the white lines are, hence me calling me them braided. ;) )

I've just never seen ANY clear hose that was temp resistant enough for an engine bay. (I worked in the Plumbing department at Home Depot for 5 years and we had ALL sorts of tubing, including the stuff you have pictured. It was for water though, and not in any kind of heat situation.

Steve

Thread Information