Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Not Newbie
    About the only thing I could think of would be to wait till the paint dries and then try brushing it off with some simple green.

If that doesn't work you can maybe by some high temp VHT paint and apply it with a small foam brush (or q-tip). Probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in color so long as you stick with something close to the VHT wrinkle red color.

Quote Originally Posted by thaseint View Post
    About the only thing I could think of would be to wait till the paint dries and then try brushing it off with some simple green.

If that doesn't work you can maybe by some high temp VHT paint and apply it with a small foam brush (or q-tip). Probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in color so long as you stick with something close to the VHT wrinkle red color.
    ahh a little too late. I tried using my finger nails and I took some of the paint off The paint came off easily too. You think I installed it too early? I let it dry for about 24 hours, then I installed it. Drove it 15 miles to school, while still hot, I tried removing the smudge and bam

Not Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Danman281 View Post
    ahh a little too late. I tried using my finger nails and I took some of the paint off The paint came off easily too. You think I installed it too early? I let it dry for about 24 hours, then I installed it. Drove it 15 miles to school, while still hot, I tried removing the smudge and bam
    You may have installed it too early. Paint drying depends on a few factors: number of coats, temperature and humidity. 24 hours should have been more than enough time for the paint to at least be 'set'; but it takes much longer for the paint to cure, so an accident could damage the paint during this curing time.

After the engine cycles from hot to cold a few times the paint will eventually get hard as a rock.

Do you have any pictures of the damage?

You may have installed it too early. Paint drying depends on a few factors: number of coats, temperature and humidity. 24 hours should have been more than enough time for the paint to at least be 'set'; but it takes much longer for the paint to cure, so an accident could damage the paint during this curing time.

After the engine cycles from hot to cold a few times the paint will eventually get hard as a rock.

Do you have any pictures of the damage?

Not Newbie
    That's not bad at all...I'd just touch up with some high temp paint...won't be able to tell the difference.

Looks like your cover came out a little better than mine. Mine has a little too much wrinkle when you get up close. How much paint did you end up using?

Congrats. :thumb:

Damn looks easy enough, gonna have to try this.

Nice write up.

That's not bad at all...I'd just touch up with some high temp paint...won't be able to tell the difference.

Looks like your cover came out a little better than mine. Mine has a little too much wrinkle when you get up close. How much paint did you end up using?

Congrats. :thumb:
    thanks everyone

I used about 4-5 coats of paint. The way I probably got less wrinkle was because I didn't put it in the oven, and I only used a heat gun for about half an hour. Other than that, I'm glad the way it turned out.

I have a small oil leak on the driver side. Gonna go tighten it up after I get her back from the dealership.

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    I have a small oil leak on the driver side. Gonna go tighten it up after I get her back from the dealership.
    be sure not to over-torque the nut. those studs are small, and are known to snap.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolimport View Post
    be sure not to over-torque the nut. those studs are small, and are known to snap.
    funny you say that... I broke one of them installing ground wires. I replaced it as I was doing this DIY. Those new ones are made out of this titanium alloy compared to brass. I guess this happens a lot lol

Btw, if I'm leaking oil, I just tighten the nuts more right? Or should I take out the gasket and apply sealant. Because from my first broken strut experience... I did not tighten these as tight as I normally would

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    you normally don't use sealant except in the corners. I use a 1/4" drive to tighten them, so I can't exert THAT much pressure. if you do use sealant, don't use much.

ep3 veteran
    nice write up! im going to take a stab at it soon

MaNtEQuiLLA/K-SQUADD ALL MotoR Ep3's Avatar
    here is mine

here are some that I did...

gj darkside

Quote Originally Posted by ALL MotoR Ep3 View Post
    here is mine

looks good. what did you use for the spark plug covers?

MaNtEQuiLLA/K-SQUADD ALL MotoR Ep3's Avatar
    gj darkside

looks good. what did you use for the spark plug covers?
    Some silver spray paint I had in the house......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information