Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

DIY: Black out painted Headlights

Black

Housing Headlights

Tools: Phillips

Screwdriver, Screwdriver, 10mm Wrench (socket), Exacto Knife, Patience.

Supplies:

Flat Black Spray Paint, Masking Tape, Clear Silicone Sealant.

Well, lets

get started shall we? Gather your tools and supplies and get ready to give your

Si a makeover. Pop your hood and find these clips holding the top of your bumper

on. To remove them, take our flat screwdriver and pry it under one of the sides,

then twist the screwdriver to popup the clip. Do this for all the clips on top.

There are 2 screws in each wheel well, and finally 8 more clips on the bottom

of the bumper along with 2 more screws.

Take the bumper off

carefully by pulling on the sides to remove it from the groove, then set it

somewhere safe where it will not get scratched, carpet, grass, and away from

traffic.

You now have to remove

the headlight, there are 4 10mm bolts holding the headlight in place, #1 and

#2 are on top, #3 is on the side and #4 is underneath the headlight.

With these bolts removed,

you should now notice the horizontal metal bar holding the headlight in at the

bottom, this will pull out and down allowing you to remove the headlight. Do

so carefully.

...There it is, very

large headlight is it not?

''Tonight on the Food

Network, how to make a gourmet headlight any chef can appreciate..."

First take a cooking

pan and set your headlight on it, no need to grease the pan :) Set your oven

to 250° and put the headlight in right away, no need to preheat. If your

oven has a preheat notifier, this is good, it will tell you when the oven has

reached 250°, when the oven temperature has risen to 250° you should

now remove your headlights. If you do not have a preheat notifier, the headlights

stayed in my oven for only 5 minutes then I removed them.

At this point, you

will need to pull the headlight apart quickly, all I used was a flat screwdriver

and popped up the tabs around the headlight then I got a grip on it and pulled

the pieces apart, it was easier than I thought. NOTICE: Once you've removed

the two pieces do not set them down so that any hot sealant will get on anything.

Remove this screw

from the headlight cover and take out your housing, this is what you will be

painting. Take the clear plastic cover and set this aside on a bed sheet, pillow

and far away from where you are working, if you scratch this, or get sealant

on it you will not be enjoying yourself too much.

Now its time to mask

the headlight, take your roll of tape and apply long straight lines to the edges

of the turnsignal. You can mask it anyway you want, I decided to go with the

Type-R look. The parking light is a little more difficult to mask but I found

a great method, apply alot of masking tape to the inside of the parking light

to the outside. Take an exacto knife and follow the groove around the outside

circle and peel away the excess, this leaves a nicely shaped circle. Before

your paint, make sure to press around all the edges, if the tape isn't adhesed

very well paint will spray underneath leaving a poor line.

Yes...painting this

part is really fun :) I used a can of Mr.Spray it dries really fast and looks

just as good as any other flat black, you can get it at almost any auto parts

depot. I have one thing to say though, make sure you inspect the headlight many

times look in all the cracks and make sure you touch up any light spots, there

is one spot that doesnt get sprayed you have to hold it up with your hand to

get it, its just under the main housing. So throughly inspect the housing. I

used many light coats of paint. After the housing is dry, you can remove your

masking tape and see how well it turned out.

Put the headlight

back together, replacing the screw and pushing the front and back pieces of

the headlight together, be sure to wipe the lens for fingerprints, dirt, dust,

grease, etc. Line both pieces up perfect so the clips line up, if they don't

line up your headlight will look funky when you re-install it. Now you can silicone

it, I used McKanica Auto Marine silicone because its automatic and has a throttle,

it makes for a cleaner job. Apply it around the edges.

NOTICE:
    Do

not apply silicone to the side of the headlight where the turnsignal is, this

part does not make contact with the seal, if you put silicone in the crease

you will see it outside the car, if you make this mistake quicky wipe it off

with a paper towel, thats the good thing about clear silicone, it dries a little

slower. Instead, you may want to apply silicone to the inside groove where you

will not see it.
    After

you're done applying, run your finger along the edges to make it smooth and

invisible.

Before putting your

headlight all the way back, put your bulbs back in, for H4 bulb seems to be

the hardest, just remember the bulb has 3 pins, the the side of the bulb with

1 pin points down. Re-bolt everything and remember the front support bar.

Repeat this process

for the second headlight (the second goes quicker).

Now you can re-install

your front bumper.

Not too shabby...

As a word of advice to anyone doing this DIY, when putting the headlights in the oven, if you feel the need to place the housing on a cookie sheet (I did just to be careful it didn't melt), make sure you use a hard sheet & not a foil-lined piece.

My friend made the mistake when blacking his headlights that way & the plastic fused with the foil.

Good luck!

I use a cookie sheet but turn it upside down. If you have to thats good if not let the cookie sheet cool down before you put the other headlight in the oven.
    Ed~

Is the headlights too hot to handle with bare hands after cooking for 5 miuntes?

myspace.com/avenida PayneSkillet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 88crx View Post
    Is the headlights too hot to handle with bare hands after cooking for 5 miuntes?
    i would guess so

Quote Originally Posted by 88crx View Post
    I took the headlights out my oven using potholders, but within a minute, they were more than cool enough to touch.

They actually felt kind of good, much in the same way clothes feel against your skin once it's out the dryer.

I take them out and put them in my pants.

you'll have to take them out with pot holders at first but they should be fine in a minute or so. Unless you have alligator hands.
    Ed~

looks good.. i blacked out mine.... but only the =outside plastic.. with clear coating and black ink..

nice write up. i think im going to do this sometime this week. i think im going to black them out and do the turn signal housing amber.

I might have to do this instead of buying new ones....

does anyone by cchance have a picture of a white ep with this done because i really want to do it but i wanna get an idea of what it would look like before i start pulling things apart

Quote Originally Posted by soccerallstar06 View Post
    does anyone by cchance have a picture of a white ep with this done because i really want to do it but i wanna get an idea of what it would look like before i start pulling things apart
    you have a PM coming

So no sanding of the painted parts is necessary? Maybe it wouldn't flake anyway since it's sealed inside?

I did this on my 05. VERY pleased with the results.

Very nice write up, I think this is a very old write up. I did mine back in 02 and I think this was the write up I used.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information