Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Legendary Ephatcher ep3moschini's Avatar

Front end clunking/popping noises? HELP

ok so since I did my clutch ive been having slight to moderate clunking noises in my front end during turning? It used to be slightly as I would take turns over bumps but now its starting to get louder and more distinct. I just changed my drivers side axle so I doubt its that because it made it before and after. I checked my ball joints and they seem fine. My tie rods see to be fine as well. I had the car up on a lift, and moved the tires back and fourth (left and right as if I were turning) put reload on the suspension and shook the wheel to see if it was the ball joint, still nothing. . . its really starting to drive me nuts. . . help

1967 Firebird. . . Yeah its alright

Legendary Ephatcher

i had the same problem, i took apart my suspension and the bearing that goes under the tophat on top of the strut was worn to nothing, idk if thats your problem but i would check it because once that bearing wears away its metal on metal and it eats the tophat away, thats what mine was starting to do

Quote Originally Posted by myrideishot View Post
    i had the same problem, i took apart my suspension and the bearing that goes under the tophat on top of the strut was worn to nothing, idk if thats your problem but i would check it because once that bearing wears away its metal on metal and it eats the tophat away, thats what mine was starting to do
    I was starting to think that? . . . is there any way to check it to find out if its bad? besides just replacing it?

Legendary Ephatcher

no one has any ideas? steering rack possibly????

Legendary Ephatcher

the only way that i know of is to take off you shock and check the top hat and you will def see if the bearing is worn

Quote Originally Posted by myrideishot View Post
    the only way that i know of is to take off you shock and check the top hat and you will def see if the bearing is worn
    Im going to try that, how can I tell if its junk?

Legendary Ephatcher

im a robot
    Quote Originally Posted by ep3moschini View Post
    Im going to try that, how can I tell if its junk?
    try to see if theres any play in it, like any bearing it should rotate and thats it

im thinking either the strut or the axle...

Please let me know how this works out for you. I've had this popping/clunking coming from the passenger side suspension ever since I bought the car in 2002. It's noticeable over bumps. After I bought the car, the dealer replaced both front struts to no avail. No dealer I've ever taken it to has been able to figure it out. Most of the time they say they don't hear anything. I've reluctantly learned to live with it, since it doesn't happen for the majority of my driving.

Please let me know what you find. I'm taking my car in Tues for them to look at it again because I don't think I can take it any more. I'm going to drive the car with the technician, but I sure my car will act perfectly normal since it knows what I'm trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by PogoFX View Post
    Please let me know how this works out for you. I've had this popping/clunking coming from the passenger side suspension ever since I bought the car in 2002. It's noticeable over bumps. After I bought the car, the dealer replaced both front struts to no avail. No dealer I've ever taken it to has been able to figure it out. Most of the time they say they don't hear anything. I've reluctantly learned to live with it, since it doesn't happen for the majority of my driving.

Please let me know what you find. I'm taking my car in Tues for them to look at it again because I don't think I can take it any more. I'm going to drive the car with the technician, but I sure my car will act perfectly normal since it knows what I'm trying to do.
    yours def. sounds like the spring isnt seated correctly or the struts werent installed correctly.. OR the subframe maybe loose... there's so many things it can be but first id check to see if the springs are seated correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by holywood View Post
    im thinking either the strut or the axle...
    I just replaced the axle yesterday, it was doing it before too

Legendary Ephatcher

yours def. sounds like the spring isnt seated correctly or the struts werent installed correctly.. OR the subframe maybe loose... there's so many things it can be but first id check to see if the springs are seated correctly!
    I did do my clutch recently, do you thing the subframe would cause that clunk noise?

Legendary Ephatcher

The car made the noise new on the original struts (just not as frequent or as loud as now). The dealer replaced both front struts, so I feel that I could rule out any strut problem. Shortly there after I had the springs replaced with Eibach Sportlines, so I feel like I can rule out a spring problem.

Yes could be a subframe issue. I'd like to see the condition of the Damper Mounting Bearing referred to earlier as the bearing under the top hat. I guess you have to pull the strut to look at that right? I doubt the dealer replaced that when they changed my struts.

Quote Originally Posted by PogoFX View Post
    The car made the noise new on the original struts (just not as frequent or as loud as now). The dealer replaced both front struts, so I feel that I could rule out any strut problem. Shortly there after I had the springs replaced with Eibach Sportlines, so I feel like I can rule out a spring problem.

Yes could be a subframe issue. I'd like to see the condition of the Damper Mounting Bearing referred to earlier as the bearing under the top hat. I guess you have to pull the strut to look at that right? I doubt the dealer replaced that when they changed my struts.
    Exactly, they probably did not replace the tophats, as it is a seperate piece from the strut. You might be able to switch them, to see if the sound changes sides, but I am not sure if they are reversible... I'm thinking not.

Quote Originally Posted by ddhatch View Post
    Exactly, they probably did not replace the tophats, as it is a seperate piece from the strut. You might be able to switch them, to see if the sound changes sides, but I am not sure if they are reversible... I'm thinking not.
    They probably are reversible. I'm looking at the exploded diagram of the strut/spring and it's just a round bearing.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information