Close

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PogoFX View Post
    Well, I just got my car back from the dealer and big surprise . . . no fix. I talked with the tech for a while. He tightened everything, did a couple of service bulletins, pulled the strut and inspected everything. The top bearing was in good condition. He worked on the car for several hours and spent a bunch of time on the phone with Honda. He was cool about not blaming it on my aftermarket springs, since I had the problem long before they were installed. He did recommend that I should consider changing my struts out to match the springs a little better and that maybe I'll get lucky and that will take care of it. I guess one cool thing was that they didn't charge me for anything. My car is an '02 and out of warranty.

I can't believe that no one can figure this out. I'm so tired of this noise! I'd get rid of my car if I didn't love it so much.
    hmmm interesting...only logic would be that if it is the top hat, then it wont show the wear condition, but maybe your clunk is a different clunk...maybe its in the rack!? this is possibly an advanced wear condition as i was thinking in my other thread?? i have an 02 also...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Not Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    hmmm interesting...only logic would be that if it is the top hat, then it wont show the wear condition, but maybe your clunk is a different clunk...maybe its in the rack!? this is possibly an advanced wear condition as i was thinking in my other thread?? i have an 02 also...
    That was my next thought. Perhaps the guide in the rack is badly worn to the point that it’s causing the clunk?

There was an awesome post about rebuilding the EP rack before the crash that showed pictures of a worn guide that was causing some creaking and it was pretty bad. Perhaps during turns and over bumps the arms are twisting which causes the guide to 'shift and rebound', thus the clunk sound is heard when this guide becomes so badly worn. When you look at how the arms are mounted to the strut body I could see how the arms themselves would actually twist (of course the twist being limited by the tie rods and the guide).

You can test this out yourself buy grabbing the steering arm and twisting with your hands, you will likely notice a little bit of play in the arm. It should be VERY little; but would of course be magnified when going over bumps or turning due to the weight transfer of the car. The arms do in fact twist a little even by hand...I'd say less than a millimeter. So the tie rods and guide end up baring most of the abuse. Even when turning while stationary the angle of the steering arms does increase. Have someone turn the wheels while the car is on the ground and look at the arms.

So increase arm angle + twisting due to weight transfer = clunk?

Factor in the that the EP has the EPS system...no continous, clean lubrication=bad news for the rack. This would likely explain why the noisy steering issues are less likely to be seen on the DC5.

Thoughts?

Who knows? I really don't feel like it's in the rack. Personally, I have no issues or noises when turning. I know that some experience the clunking when turning also, not me. Mine seems absolutely associated with wheel travel up/down on the passenger side only. Sometimes it kinda chatters, but deep. Sometimes it's just one or two clunks.

Legendary Ephatcher ep3moschini's Avatar
    I have yes to check out my top hats, working 12hrs a day at work leaves me beat at the end of the day and no interested in working even longer. . . im afraid its the steering rack, im actually going outside right now to check for play in them

1967 Firebird. . . Yeah its alright

Legendary Ephatcher

yeah so I checked it I don't see any issue with my tie rods. . . they twist, but thats because the tie rod end allows it too, but there is no sided to side or back and forth action going on there actually surprisingly stiff. . . I really think its the top hats that are causing the issue

Legendary Ephatcher

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by ep3moschini View Post
    yeah so I checked it I don't see any issue with my tie rods. . . they twist, but thats because the tie rod end allows it too, but there is no sided to side or back and forth action going on there actually surprisingly stiff. . . I really think its the top hats that are causing the issue

Yup it's more than likely the tops hats.

Quote Originally Posted by slate13530 View Post
    Yup it's more than likely the tops hats.
    so is it going to be dangerous to drive or just annoying?

Legendary Ephatcher

mahhhhhh! this is driving me nuts

Legendary Ephatcher

ephatch member
    i've had this problem since 2002... i started with koni's and now i have buddy club n+ ... this annoyin sound that always happens when i turn or go over bumps.... i've checked it out so many times and have had my suspension rechecked and rechecked.... could never find the cause. Oh well i ve learned to live with it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by GeNoZiDe View Post
    i've had this problem since 2002... i started with koni's and now i have buddy club n+ ... this annoyin sound that always happens when i turn or go over bumps.... i've checked it out so many times and have had my suspension rechecked and rechecked.... could never find the cause. Oh well i ve learned to live with it LOL
    yours might be the steering rack. . . mine however is not, my car is an 05' with 67k miles I should not be having rack issues at this time, but a fucked top hat sounds like its my issue. . .

Legendary Ephatcher

ephatch member
    Yup steering creek is different from the clunking noise.

I've heard it before, but my clunking is coming from the spring.

You know, I actually think my clunking is louder now that the dealer retightened and rechecked everything. I know that it's just my imagination. I'm just hyper-sensitive about it now. I've always thought that I'd be able to get rid of it someday, but that's looks unlikely now.

too many posts to quote, so im just going to poop out a response

i too have koni shocks, 15k on them and i now have a clunk...im thinking the stiffer ride may have made the difference, who knows...if it were possible, which it isnt, it might be nice to cross referance the clunk noise with people on stock shocks and springs, stock shocks, lowered on springs, with coilovers...etc...but too many factors there that could cause it, or its just a normal wear issue...

as for the steering rack, i was musing more than anything, it would be constant if it were in the rack, because that kind of noise would require a lot of play up and down...and of course the noise isnt really while turning, its while under load...but i should mention that the night my clunk started i had been driving a bit, and the car was definitely up to temperature in all the systems (suspension, drivetrain, brakes) and when i parked it, i was able to get a clunk by turning the wheel while parked...but ive since been unable to replicate that, even after running it hot back from AC last sunday...

as for you mr. ep3moschini

im with you on this one, i havnt had any time, shit i need to get my heat shield off my header and start blastering the ex. mani. bolts and havnt had time...im thinking its my tophats too, just going off of the wear on the passenger side one that i remember when i did the suspension...

only issue is the clunk has not come back yet since sunday morning, so im still without referance to remove the noise...ill just roll on it for now i guess until i have time to change out the top hats...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

A brief history of noises from my EP.

Low clunking from front, driving slow or over bumps.
    -Blown front strut, replaced and it went away.

Rattle from rear, any time moving fast or slow.
    - Endlink to sway nut loose, tightened went away.

"Hinged-door" creak from rear. Just over bumps.
    - lubed upper arm with silicon spray, went away.

Creak, pop pop pop. from front while turning the wheel,
    - Re-greased bearings in strut, changed struts out also, so conceivably it could have been mis-aligned tophat.

Low rumble from rear, only noticed while moving slow with uneven pavement.
    - It's something about the assembly of the rear. If I turn the tokico's to "0" it goes away, but I'd rather have a low rumble and a comfortable ride. It could just be the struts themselves I suppose. If I put on the rear bulkheads it cuts the noise in half.

still no return of the clunk noise...what the hell is going on!
    my ep is white...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information