Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

TSX Engine swap not starting

TSX head, cams
    K24 accord bottom end
    TSX internals (pistons and stuff)
    Kpro, tsx base map
    Finished the swap, engine turned over. Ran like crap, but it ran.

Did a compression test but I didn't warm up the engine first so the numbers were a wash.

After the test I put the spark plugs back, coils, connect wires back, and now it doesn't start. The longest I could get it to run is a few seconds then it dies. Any further attempts right after just flood it. You can see beads of gas (at least I hope it's gas) sitting on the piston and the spark plugs are drenched after trying to start - all cylinders.

Took valve cover off, chain hasn't skipped teeth. Replaced the spark plugs, checked all sensors to make sure they're connected, same results.

Starter works, it's turning the engine over but it doesn't seem to fire. No fuses are blown.

Ideas?

I would check your calibration and see what the injector size is set at, sounds like too much fuel.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

ephatch member
    Check your map sensor. There is two blue plugs that look like each other, trying switching them over. Good luck. Not sure if this might help.

Thanks for the tips guys, but still no go :(

Some more details:
    kpro is set to 310cc, I have injectors from an rsx-S.
    Also I'm using the coil packs from my EP3. Are these all the same across the K line? They have diff. part numbers in catalogs.

I labeled the two blues off the TB before pulling them but who knows I may have labeled them wrong. I'll try swapping back... they have not moved since the car ran for its short time.

I found that I had the wiring harness ground wire on the IM instead of the valve cover .. moved that, it makes some more 1-second start clunks than before, but still no go.

I tried the base k24 tsx map (this is the one it ran with before compression test), the accord map, a k20/k24 map, the rsx-s map, no go.

I have no idea, but good luck to you.

are you getting spark and fuel in ALL cylinders?

check your Grounds. since you were messing with the head, you tighten down the cam sensor? how about the crank sensor?
    EPHATCH.COM 4 LYFE!! OFF THA CHAIN KREW #1

udontknowjack's mom was here....twice!

UPDATED SITE INFO!

Want to become a Site Sponsor? Click Here!

PM for HELP!!

check for an upgrade on you KManager, make sure its up to date.

Double check timing. Being a couple teeth off on the cams will make it run like that.

ephatch member
    After all those attemps you should check your battery make sure you have charge. This might sound dumb but I made this mistake, make sure you upload the kal. I keep thinking I was uploading but never did till my little brother help me out with it.

Find a typeS ECU and try that. You may have burned up the drivers for the injectors(in ECU) having a poor ground for the injectors(on mani vrs head)
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    Find a typeS ECU and try that. You may have burned up the drivers for the injectors(in ECU) having a poor ground for the injectors(on mani vrs head)
    Never thought of that one. How would you be able to check if it did burn out?

Quote Originally Posted by unreasonable View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys, but still no go :(

Some more details:
    kpro is set to 310cc, I have injectors from an rsx-S.
    Also I'm using the coil packs from my EP3. Are these all the same across the K line? They have diff. part numbers in catalogs.

I labeled the two blues off the TB before pulling them but who knows I may have labeled them wrong. I'll try swapping back... they have not moved since the car ran for its short time.

I found that I had the wiring harness ground wire on the IM instead of the valve cover .. moved that, it makes some more 1-second start clunks than before, but still no go.

I tried the base k24 tsx map (this is the one it ran with before compression test), the accord map, a k20/k24 map, the rsx-s map, no go.

there is a sesor for the coolant and i didnt have mine plugged in and it woul NOT start and did exactly what yours did, check the front of the engine harness for anything you missed, you probably did, because like i said before it sounds exactly what happened with my swap. also the the tps is seperate, and the map plug has another connector (egr i belive) so you will be able to tell that way, and if they were switched youmay need a new map

Quote Originally Posted by Fico View Post
    there is a sesor for the coolant and i didnt have mine plugged in and it woul NOT start and did exactly what yours did, check the front of the engine harness for anything you missed, you probably did, because like i said before it sounds exactly what happened with my swap. also the the tps is seperate, and the map plug has another connector (egr i belive) so you will be able to tell that way, and if they were switched youmay need a new map
    Ive had the coolant plug keep me grounded before. Def check your sensors down there. Its easy to forget something.
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:
    2003 Ep3 - K24A1/K20Z3 Hybrid - currently under the knife
    2001 S2000 - Stock and loving it
    1987 Buick T-Type WE4 - The BEAST

I'd check to make sure you don't have a squirrel that snuggled up in the throttle body...those damn squirrely squirrels!

I would guess there would be a mesurable amount of compresion even if its cold, your car still runs its not like it stalls out.

Seriously though I would start with double checking the sensors, grounds and battery.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information