Close

View Poll Results: What do you think sounds better?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • sealed

26 50.00%
  • ported

15 28.85%
  • vented

4 7.69%
  • band-pass

7 13.46%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sealed

Better response, tighter sound and smaller enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Breakep3 View Post
    General Rule:

Ported for Rap/Techno

Sealed for Rock/Metal
    WORD! SEALED FTW!

A ported box tuned to the subwoofers specs is the best way to go. I have had my JL 12W7 in both a sealed and ported box, and having built a ported box to JL's specs it sounds so much better. The bass is tight with CCR or SRV and thumps with Lil John. (JL and Rockford Fosgate both recommend using a ported box. I think they are the experts here.)

But b4 you worry about your box, have you matched the sub to a good amp and done the Big 3 under the hood? The best setup ain't worth crap if the wiring sucks.

what do the high end sq players use? I always thought Sealed was best for SQ.

Quote Originally Posted by 72chevel View Post
    what do the high end sq players use? I always thought Sealed was best for SQ.
    Lil bit of everything, not really bandpass but sealed, vented (ported), and IB (Infinite Baffle) are all very common

Vented and ported are the same thing except for the shape of the hole. Ported has tubing as well but the bottom line is that they sound the same.

I voted sealed, it's great for tight bass.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaney View Post
    Vented and ported are the same thing except for the shape of the hole. Ported has tubing as well but the bottom line is that they sound the same.

I voted sealed, it's great for tight bass.
    Vented and ported are the exact same thing regardless of the shape of the hole, just different words, it's all a 4th order allignment and they can have any shape hole as long as the internal volume of the air column is the same.

When I competed in SQ. I used an isobaric setup with 2 12s. For those who dont know what that is, the subs are mounted facing each other. Like a push/pull setup. One sub is connected 180deg out of phase to the other. Thsi setup produces very hard hitting tight bass and usually requires only about 1/2 the airspace required for only one speaker. If I had the bucks I would do the same with my system, but one 12W7 is all my budget will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by SiN05 View Post
    Better response, tighter sound and smaller enclosure
    i couldn't agree anymore. ported is cool, but i like sealed!

Quote Originally Posted by tdman77 View Post
    When I competed in SQ. I used an isobaric setup with 2 12s. For those who dont know what that is, the subs are mounted facing each other. Like a push/pull setup. One sub is connected 180deg out of phase to the other. Thsi setup produces very hard hitting tight bass and usually requires only about 1/2 the airspace required for only one speaker. If I had the bucks I would do the same with my system, but one 12W7 is all my budget will allow.
    I had an isobaric sub also in the late 80's / early 90's. They really were tits in that the enclosure can be tiny... by standards those days. Mine was even vented! That was a trip squeezing all that vent into the enclosure!

Now that there are drivers out (much like your JL) that have very powerful motors, increased cone strength, and high powerhandling the isobaric fizzled. Take the DIYMA12 (and the dayton line) for example, it only needs 3.-.4 CuFt for an allignment of .7Qtc, witht he size of the DIYMA motor that's darn near the distance to the back of the motor and the cutout for the driver! Just don't see many isobaric configs these days.

I am running a 12" Kicker CVR in a single bandpass with a Nitro 1000 watt amp. Sounds pretty good to me. It is really all about factory specs and what you want.

I've used bandpass and sealed. I have seen correctly sized sealed enclosures that would run circles around bandpass. I have seen a pair of Orion 8's in a sealed enclosure that would blur your vision!

Quote Originally Posted by 1fast03ep View Post
    I've used bandpass and sealed. I have seen correctly sized sealed enclosures that would run circles around bandpass. I have seen a pair of Orion 8's in a sealed enclosure that would blur your vision!
    True. Alot of the time it depends on how the box is built.

Quote Originally Posted by tdman77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I had an isobaric sub also in the late 80's / early 90's. They really were tits in that the enclosure can be tiny... by standards those days. Mine was even vented! That was a trip squeezing all that vent into the enclosure!

Now that there are drivers out (much like your JL) that have very powerful motors, increased cone strength, and high powerhandling the isobaric fizzled. Take the DIYMA12 (and the dayton line) for example, it only needs 3.-.4 CuFt for an allignment of .7Qtc, witht he size of the DIYMA motor that's darn near the distance to the back of the motor and the cutout for the driver! Just don't see many isobaric configs these days.
    I have like 12 years of Car audio and Electonics in my basement I remember the early 90's they had alot of discussions about isobaric. Back then I wanted to do 4 12" kicker comps 2 per enclosure mounted face to face but never did. When I bought my ep the whole audio system was missing so I have been looking for just the right thing to go back in the car. Would isobaric work for todays 12" Alpine type R?

Quote Originally Posted by 72chevel View Post
    I have like 12 years of Car audio and Electonics in my basement I remember the early 90's they had alot of discussions about isobaric. Back then I wanted to do 4 12" kicker comps 2 per enclosure mounted face to face but never did. When I bought my ep the whole audio system was missing so I have been looking for just the right thing to go back in the car. Would isobaric work for todays 12" Alpine type R?
    Yes and no, It would be less effcinet than a single driver in a proper airspace for the given power (remember you are not getting any summing from using the two drivers this way) The Type R is pretty happy in a small enclosure isn't it? I'd rock one and see, then if it's not enough look into another plan.

Chad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information