Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

megan test pipe vs. raceheader

i bought a megan test pipe brand new and i jus wana kno if anyone has had a race header then switched to a test pipe (or visce versa), what were the difference in power. my friend hasa dc5 and he told me that it felt the same.

It really depends on what race header you get, but generally the race header will flow much better than just a test pipe. I say get the race header. Test pipes are worthless on N/A cars anyways.

I want a big block! thechromecoyote's Avatar
    Raceheaders are designed to increase exhaust flow, and to channel those gasses efficiently (some more than others of course ).

Test pipes just remove your cat, decreasing flow resistance.

Performance wise the RH is better for NA

Jeri Lee is hot!! supercivician's Avatar
    i dont know about you guys from it's a lot easier to take off the test pipe than taking off the whole header for inspection

test pipe for sure...just cut off the hanger to the test pipe when installing

ephatch member
    if you don't care about the ease of removal for inspection, definitely go with the raceheader. I felt a big difference going from a shorty/testpipe to just a DCRH. My times at the track improved .3-.4 even after I removed my catback and reinstalled the stock exhaust. At some point I will upgrade to a better quality raceheader, unless I go the turbo route.

I love my megan test pipe.

dont play around go for the race header

kool thanx for the feed back, ill put on my test pipe then prolli buy a rh wen i save up some more money

I wouldn't worry too much about the inspection thing. It only has to be done like what? once a year? It's a 20 min install at most anyways. Get the race header.

i have had them both, go with the race header.

idk its kind of a risk to run with raceheader in cali. i had a friend pay a $1200 fine for his mr2 turbo with no cat. i juus thought the test pipe wuld kinda get u by if they look under the car, but yea...does anyone kno the chances of that happening though?

or has any cali ep's been in that situation? or had 2 pay a fine?

Damn, I didn't see that you were in Cali. Yeah running a race header and getting caught is mad $$$ in fines. You can always get the DCRH and get a high flow cat welded in place of the flex pipe. I've also seen people put the stock cat heat shield around the test pipe to make it look like a cat. Here in VA cops aren't so keen on that stuff and I never really had to worry about it. Also the only way for them to see it would be for them to lay stomach down on the ground and try to peer under the car. Even then you can't see much because the car is so low. Most cops wouldn't bother with it, but you're in Cali so who knows....

If you're worried just get the DCRH with a high flow cat welded in. It will still probably flow better than a megan header/test pipe combo anyways.

I was thinking about a race header in the future, but that kills your 02 sensors right? and is incredibly loud and what about emissions? Im in Ohio, does anyone else in ohio have a RH and pass emissions?

exhaust gas velocity > lower resistance/backpressure
    aka
    race header > test pipe

edit: in response to getting a high flow cat welded in;
    I would take your stock cat or a high flow cat and hammer the biggest diameter pipe you can into the cat and knock the honeycomb out of the middle of it. Then it'll look like a cat, but just be a straight pipe.
    This will be louder than a test pipe but the open area of the test pipe lowers exhaust gas velocity compared to a pipe maintaining the same diameter.
    So id do that and then get that welded in place. Looks legit, but its really the shit.
    Last edited by v1c10us; 04-22-2008 at 09:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information