Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY: Disable pushing in clutch for startup

If you have an aftermarket clutch especially one with a much greater clamping force then this is a great idea to prevent any problems from the pressure plate. No oil pressure is built up and the pressure plate can cause some problems. I would link the thread that explained why this is needed in more detail but the motha fucka got deletedBelow is a pic of the two wires you cut and wire together. It is right at the top of the clutch pedal...you can't miss them. There is a green and a black wire going to this plug on the right. Cut them and wire them together...I just used electrical tape cuz I'm ghetto but you can get fancy on it if you want.
    Last edited by fatathaland; 10-25-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: thread title formatted

Here ya go.

The main concern regarding high clamp load pressure plates and having to depress the clutch, is that there is no oil pressure when cranking and the thrust bearing takes all that pressure UNTILL the oil pump gets up to speed and pressure. Not having to depress the clutch when starting, eliminates this source of wear.

BUT be carefull that you get in the habit of placeing the trans in neutral before starting!
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Real easy to do. I did it about 2 weeks ago. I sometimes forget I did it and push in the clutch anyway lol.

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    Here ya go.

The main concern regarding high clamp load pressure plates and having to depress the clutch, is that there is no oil pressure when cranking and the thrust bearing takes all that pressure UNTILL the oil pump gets up to speed and pressure. Not having to depress the clutch when starting, eliminates this source of wear.

BUT be carefull that you get in the habit of placeing the trans in neutral before starting!
    Sweet!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    If you have an aftermarket clutch especially one with a much greater clamping force then this is a great idea to prevent any problems from the pressure plate. No oil pressure is built up and the pressure plate can cause some problems. I would link the thread that explained why this is needed in more detail but the motha fucka got deletedBelow is a pic of the two wires you cut and wire together. It is right at the top of the clutch pedal...you can't miss them. There is a green and a black wire going to this plug on the right. Cut them and wire them together...I just used electrical tape cuz I'm ghetto but you can get fancy on it if you want.
    great dyi

couldn't we just disconnect the connecter and put a wire in it to jump it. instead of cutting the wire?

are there any side effects to this diy?

Only if u forget your car in gear.

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    couldn't we just disconnect the connecter and put a wire in it to jump it. instead of cutting the wire?
    Yeah prob...but how hard is it to reconnect the wire after it has been cut...Pretty damn easy sir.

thinking about doing this when i do my next clutch...i run my TT everytime i park so i am always in neutral

is it best to do this on an aftermarket clutch or is stock okay too?

Quote Originally Posted by ep3 604 View Post
    is it best to do this on an aftermarket clutch or is stock okay too?
    There is really no point to do it on a stock clutch. Only the more drastic pressure plates need this modificatin from my understanding. Personally I would do it with anything over a stage 1 clutch but that is just me. I reccomend anyone with an act clutch or comparable to do it regardless of the stage. They have such aggressive pressure plates...

You guys are some Lazy SOB to do this mod. I can see it used for remote start and maybe someone lives in alaska, but lawl!

Good write up though! Think I might do this to the FIT. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jpax View Post
    You guys are some Lazy SOB to do this mod. I can see it used for remote start and maybe someone lives in alaska, but lawl!

Good write up though! Think I might do this to the FIT. LOL
    You didn't read the thread did you? Thrust bearings need our help with heavy pressure plates sir.

great DIY, I did it like 2 weeks ago, piece of cake, it took like 10 minutes... 8 to find the splicer and 2 to cut and wire together!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information