S2000 Start button

Wires

floppy drive plug (optional)

Tools:

Wire cutter

hot glue

super glue

any cutting tools

-First you need to take out the center console. (if you don't know how.)

-take out the screws that are holdin the shift boot (3 screws on the back) and the hazard button (2 screws)

-check to see if you have the genuine honda s2000 button, because the aftermarket doen'st have a built in relay and the wiring will abit different.

1: start trimming the ridges on the button and any parts that will be on the way

2: test fit the s2000 button in the console,the hole is goin to be bigger than the button, but it's fine, we will hot glue it later

3: now you have the trim, saw or drill to make the empty slot bigger to make the button fits. this part is time consuming, jus take you time and test fit it, and try not to scratch console itself.

Notes: DON'T cut the whole black inner ring, because it will be too big for the hazard button. as you can see in the pic, i have left some of the black part there.

4: once you are done, flip over to the back and begin to cut off the taps that used to hold the hazard button. remember to cut it neatly because we are goin to reuse this on the other side.

5: screw the taps back to the hazard button and line up with the empty slot.

6:start gluing the taps to the console. in this case, i used Superglue

we can now work on the wiring when we are waitin for it to dry.

7: if you have old computer at home, you are at luck because you can use the floppy drive plug n it plugs right in the s2000 button. if you don't, that's okay too beacuse you can always solder them together.

8: there are 4 wires from the floppy plug, but only 3 will be use, here is where the wiring goes.

9: once you figure it out which ones to use, you can now extend the wires by soldering or jus twist them together.

Notes: as you can see my wiring, the white/black one is starter, red is power and the black wire is ground.

10: now lets go back to the console and see if the gule is dry. once it does, you can begin hot glue the s2000 button in place.

now you are ready to wire it to the car.

11: take out all the panels that are blocking the steering wheel cover. thethere are 3 screws on the bottoms that needs to be taken out, don't worry the 2 bolts that are deep inside.

pop the top and bottom covers open and put it somehwere you won't scratch it. (... i put mine on the floor)

12: located the black/white wire that is on the BROWN plug. it's really noticeable. you won't miss it.

-now you will need to splice it and wire them up. (white/balck wire in my case)

-for the power(red wire in my case), people say look for the green/white (not sure?) wire for the cig. instead of doin that, all i did was look for the fuse that is for the the cig (it should be second role from the bottom, third from the right). pull it out and wraped the wire around it n plug the fuse back in.

-for the ground wire (black in my case), there are alot of place you can use. the one that i used was located where the hood latch button is because it is bolt to the body. so once again, i wraped the wire around that bolt and screw it back in.

-check and make sure all wires are hooked up righ, then now it's time to fire up the car with the s2000 button! if it works, you can put the plastic covers back. if not, then you have to recheck your wiring.

now go back to you center console. if you notice, you hazard harness is goin to short and it barely reaches to the other side. a helpful tips is that the harness is just holding by some electrical tape, all you have to do cut if off and you can route the hazard harness to the other side w/o a problem.

-last part before you put the center console back in. you will need to test fit it, because i have to trim some of the platics off the top console and the tap that is on teh hazard button.

That's it! now you can enjoy your s2000 button and stand out from other Ep3s.

larger view 1:

2: 3:

4: 5:

6: 7:

8: 9:

10: 11:

12:

My car came with one of these but its not hooked up. I see wires in the back. If I hooke it up can they steal my car w/it. or make it easyer to steal.

you need the key to start the car you can't start the car with out the key because of the immoblizer.

woot woot... you saved it... im glad I was in the middle of this DIY and then the next thing I know i couldnt log in... i was like oh man ... oh man.. what happend...

thanks for reposting...wish i could afford an s2k button now

Quote Originally Posted by SD_smrk1 View Post
    woot woot... you saved it... im glad I was in the middle of this DIY and then the next thing I know i couldnt log in... i was like oh man ... oh man.. what happend...
    Make sure you install a relay with the button. instead of the starter lead connecting to the button, you should have that run to a relay and then the relay signal in and out from the ignition circuit. I can elaborate later this week when I am back in the US from a business trip.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjames View Post
    Make sure you install a relay with the button. instead of the starter lead connecting to the button, you should have that run to a relay and then the relay signal in and out from the ignition circuit. I can elaborate later this week when I am back in the US from a business trip.
    Here is an elaboration :-) Enjoy!

Last edited by Blue03Si; 12-09-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Finally uploaded diagram to photobucket again

I've had my damn start button just sittin' in my cup holder for months now.......haven't gotten around to install it. lol

I guess i gotta set some time aside to do so...........

good write up!!!

hey i have a ignited engine start button it has 4 screws where you would put wires into.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpax View Post
    you need the key to start the car you can't start the car with out the key because of the immoblizer.
    Which is why I still don't understand why anybody does this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    Because it looks cool and its fun. You insert the key and just turn it to run, then use the start button to start the car. It basically is in lieu of turning the key all the way to start. Hell if you wanted to you could disconnect the wire that runs to the stock starter switch... then you would need to use the start button

i think its because it looks so damn cool haha

Do you still have to depress the clutch to start the car?

Do you still have to depress the clutch to start the car?
    Yes. Pressing the button functions exactly the same as turning the key all the way to start. You hold they key at start while the engine cranks to life then let if go back to run. Same with the button, you hold it in while your car cranks to life then let go after it starts.

Great post/repost/save. We're are slowly but surely coming back up.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information