Close

valve adjustment at 45K miles?

I'm just now hitting the 45k miles mark on my ep; however, my motor seems to be making more and more valve noise... almost like the valves are fluttering. Is this normal or do I need to do a valve adjustment. I mis-shifted once around 30k miles and hit about 8k rpm.

You can check them...they should not be far off at 45k but the misshift didn't help. I have seen some valves at 45k in bad shape before so its possible. You sure it isn't the injectors?

all k motors are known to be loud.. im sure its the injectors like davis suggested. davis did a valve adjustment on my ep (when i still had it) at around ~50k and they werent to far off...

it could be the injectors... not quite sure though. I guess i will just have to pull of the valve cover this weekend and take a look... as much as i hate to do so

some of the eps i've been around have been kinda "ticky", but there have been a few others that were dead quiet... could be just the motor or could need a valve lash done... but at 45K you shouldn't NEED one... i'd check just to be sure...

Just pull the intake manifold cover and put your ear up to the injectors. It should be very apparent if it is just the injectors. They do tick loudly. If you have access to a stethescope(my new favorite toy) then put it down on the valve cover over all the valves and listen to see if they all sound the same. If they all sound the same then chances are you are just paranoid like many of us get at times.

Without pulling your valve cover, put your hand on the injectors. If the sound matches the pulsing, you'll know it's them. If not, then off comes the v/c & out comes the feeler gage. My buddy recently switched to a 5W30 insted of the 5W20 & the motor seems a little more quiet.

Most other cars with adjustable cam followers are at 40 K miles for adjustment. And with cam issues on the k series its good to check on them every 2 years or so. It will idle and pull through the rev range much more smoothly afterwards.

I have seen cars with less need a valve adjustment, but most go around 75K or so before the noise gets objectionable.

Make sure you do not use the 5w20 oil's.

I have seen a very clear connection between the cam galling issue and that ultralight weight oil. 5w30 at a minimum, 10w40 max.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

I did a valve adjustment at 66k, none of them seemed to be off by more than a few thousandths, but it made it a little bit quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by SiR R8TD View Post
    Without pulling your valve cover, put your hand on the injectors. If the sound matches the pulsing, you'll know it's them. If not, then off comes the v/c & out comes the feeler gage. My buddy recently switched to a 5W30 insted of the 5W20 & the motor seems a little more quiet.
    EDIT: Stupid me misread the easy to use DIY: Valve Adjustment Guide... go figure
    Last edited by r_jones06; 04-23-2008 at 08:38 PM.

If you misshifted you might need one. I think they are at least worth checking, but I doubt they need adjustment.

Thread Information