Close

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Common K24 questions answered

I got the specs on the motors from this link if you are looking for more info
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43031

What are the common K24 motors that can be swapped and where do they come from?
    K24a1 CRV 02-06
    K24a2 TSX 04-08
    K24a3 03-07 Overseas Accord (not common)
    K24a4 03-05 Accord 03-06 Element

What are the compression ratios and hp specs of these motors?
    K24a1- 9.6:1 160hp 162tq
    K24a2- 10.5:1 200hp/205hp 166tq/164tq 04-05/06-07
    K24a3- 10.5:1 189hp 164.5tq
    K24a4- 9.7:1 160hp 161tq
    The bore and stroke is 87mmX99mm on all of these.

I want to put an a2 head on a k24, which one should I buy?
    Ok first of all if you swap a new head on you need a new head gasket and you pick the head gasket by the block bore and not the head.
    k24a1-The a2 head bolts directly onto this block
    K24a2-already has a tsx version of an a2 head
    K24a3 K24a4-Have pistons that have a dome shape and you must change pistons to put any other head on this baby.

What about a z3 or k24a2 head on my K24?
    Well these heads are bit different due to some coolant ports on the underside of the head. You need to buy the head gasket that matches the head and not the block like normal for this combo. You also need to purchase a coolant diverter to slide down in the block next to cylinder one. It is pictured here as part number 2. Everyone thank Doug for this great info.
    http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal

Can I put an a3 head on my K24 block?
    You can put it on the k24a1 or the k24a2 without any major modifications but you would be labeled an idiot for doing so. The a3 flows considerably worse than those k24 heads. If you are putting an ivtec head on then put on the k24a1 head which is about 200 bucks shipped.

Why can't I rev my K24a1/a3/a4 higher?
    The bottom end is actually the limiting factor. When you rev too high the pistons no longer just move up and down...they begin to move eliptically and that is where you will see problems. The pistons in a k24 are moving faster @ 7k rpms than a s2000's pistons are moving @ 9k rpms. You don't need to rev high to make power in any of these motors. Unlike a k20 where you have to get up to 4k or 5k rpms before power is made, a k24 will make power from 2k all the way to redline. To sum it up if you must rev higher then you need forged pistons and rods and then top it off with a micropolished tsx(K24a2) crank. If you are counting pennies then you could always swap in the pistons and rods from a tsx too since they are fairly beefy.

Which motor is the most boost friendly?
    K24a1-ready for boost just as it is since it has the lowest compression
    K24a2-can handle boost just fine at low psi. This motor has the highest compression but really good internals.
    K24a3-not reccomended for boost since it has a high compression ratio and the internals are not as strong as the k24a2.
    K24a4-still decent for boost but has a slightly higher compression ratio than the k24a1. The rods are weak on this motor so don't expect to get alot of power out of it. The head is also very restrictive in regards to the a1 and a2 heads.

What do I need to drop these motors in my car?
    The K24a1 and K24a4 can run on the stock ep3 ecu if you put in 310cc injectors from the rsx type s*. Kpro is a must for a k24a2 or a K24a3. Kpro is reccomended for all of these motors though. All of these motors require a specific header to clear the front sway or you can run without a front sway. A few headers that clear the front sway are the ep or type s specific dcrh or Strup, JRRH(hits slightly), SSR, Hytech. You need to use the exhaust gasket from the motor you are putting in.You need the passenger side motor mount from a crv to put any of these babies in your car. Check the link below and there is a picture of it and a link to buy it.

k24a1-drops right in with the requirements listed above.

K24a2 -you also have to swap the crank position sensor and use the ep3 thermostat and housing. You also have to tackle the coolant port issue on the head. You can either tap it and reroute it back or you can get the rbc intake manifold and karcepts adapter.

K24a3 K24a4-Everything the same as the k24a2 except you don't have to swap the crank position sensor.

For a more in depth look at this swap check out this link
    http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43521

*Note if you are running the ep3 ecu and 310cc injectors then you need to remove your front sway and keep the stock header and cat. Any RH will let more exhaust gas out of the cylinders and not as much unburned fuel will stay in the cylinder and your engine will run lean.

Will aftermarket mounts work with this swap?
    Yes! All aftermarket mounts on the market will work with this swap since the crv mount that you need to use replaces a different part of the mount.

Whats the best way to burp the coolant system?
    If you don't do this correctly then you won't get the air out of the motor and you will overheat your car. Jack up the front of the car as far as possible(couple feet) and turn the heat on full blast on hot in the car. Remove the radiator cap and then start the car. You might even want to work the upper radiator hose a bit and push any air out into the radiator. Let it run atleast until the radiator fan comes on twice. Fill the radiator back up and you should be good to go.

From what car do I buy a clutch?
    Well the easiest thing to do is to buy a clutch and flywheel for a type s. You can use the ep3 flywheel if you buy a clutchnet clutch from clutchnet.com. You have a much broader range of clutches to choose from if you get a type s flywheel though.

What oil pump upgrade options do I have?
    Well there has been some debate on whether the a2 pump or the z3 pump is better. If you only want more power then the a2 pump is to your benefit. If you are looking for good idle oil pressure(maybe if you are running some cams) then the z3 might fit your fancy. Either way here is the stuff you need to put both in your car.
    A2 http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread...t=tsx+oil+pump
    Z3 http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...a1+shafts+pump

Will aftermarket k20a3 cams work in these motors?
    K20a3 cams will drop right into the k24a1 and the k24a4. I am aware of no reason why they can't be put into the k24a3 but noone has done this to my knowledge. Now if you put cams in the k24a1 or a4 then you will definately need kpro since it consumes more fuel per mod than the a3 due to its extra displacement.

What cams do you suggest for a k24 w/ a 3 lobe vtec head?
    06-07 tsx cams work great due to the large lobe on the low cam and prove to be good for extra tq down low making it more fun to drive around town.

Can I put the k24a1 head on my k20a3?
    Yes you can. You will see decent gains. You should really have kpro for this but there are people dangerously running without it. Also remember to buy a head gasket for the k20a3 and not the k24a1. You also need an exhaust gasket for the k24a1 since it is a bit bigger.

Can I put K24a2 pistons in my k24a1/a3/a4 block?
    Yes you can! It is a great way to get higher compression while still keeping a low budget. Don't forget that the k24a2 block has oil squirters that are not in the other blocks so those oil jets keep the pistons cooled down. Also someone correct me if I'm wrong but if you put tsx pistons in another block you have to use the tsx rods as well. I believe this is due to the design of the wrist pins?

How is the fitment for a rbc intake manifold on a k24?
    Due to the extra height of the motor it clears the radiator support just BARELY. You might have to use a hammer to slightly dent in the radiator support if it just wont clear. There will be some trimming needed on the hood. You will have to remove some of the heat protective foam to fit it in there. The brake booster hose running to the throttle body sticks up kinda high.

What belt should I use on this motor?
    I ran a 685k6 on the last swap I did and it works just fine even though it is only a 6 rib belt. If you can find one then you would want a 685k7 but like I said the k6 works just fine.

What NA Kpro Base map should I start with for a K24a1 or K24a4?
    K24 base map.kal

K24a1 street tune.kal
    If you need help tuning or if you have a more aggressive setup and need a slightly modified base map let me know and I'll post up more as needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by davisj3537; 08-28-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Sticky maybe? Since soo many people ask for it...
    Last edited by davisj3537; 04-23-2008 at 10:03 AM.

ephatch member
    Nice write up.

I want a big block! thechromecoyote's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post

I want to put an a2 head on a k24 which one should I buy?
    k24a1-The a2 head bolts directly onto this block
    K24a2-already has a tsx version of an a2 head
    K24a3 K24a4-Has pistons that have a dome shape and you must change pistons to put any other head on this baby
    I vote sticky!

Edit

Any other questions you guys want to see answered?

Any other questions you guys want to see answered?
    Maybe stock bore of each engine? Might be some good info to know in case you are looking to buy internals.

Tons of this info is avail on k20a.org, but we should have our own stickies instead of just referring people to another forum.

Keep it in the family! EPhatch <3

Quote Originally Posted by thechromecoyote View Post
    Maybe stock bore of each engine? Might be some good info to know in case you are looking to buy internals.

Tons of this info is avail on k20a.org, but we should have our own stickies instead of just referring people to another forum.

Keep it in the family! EPhatch <3
    Its all in the very first link in the thread but I'll add it anyway.:biggrin: Updated

Its all in the very first link in the thread but I'll add it anyway.:biggrin:
    This be true... but since its relevant it could use some cross posting... you know people will still ask

Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by thechromecoyote View Post
    This be true... but since its relevant it could use some cross posting... you know people will still ask

Great job!
    Your right sir

Nice write up. I vote sticky.

Very nice info, thanks for the write-up.

Sticky! One question. What kind of numbers can u expect with a k24a1 bottom and a k20a2 head? Will u lose some torque? Or is the torque going to stay the same and the hp will increase? I've always wondered about this.

Great write up here too. Sticky this Mods as this is the new thing to do. Great info indeed

Quote Originally Posted by clujalolo View Post
    Sticky! One question. What kind of numbers can u expect with a k24a1 bottom and a k20a2 head? Will u lose some torque? Or is the torque going to stay the same and the hp will increase? I've always wondered about this.
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'd say with I/RH/E you should see 220whp and atleast 180tq tuned.

great post

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information