Close

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    Yes true it is geared a bit more towards the a1,a3,a4 but even on the k24a2 the head is not the limiting factor to revving higher. I'll fix her up a bit. However I wouldn't reccomend most people revving their k24a2's to 8500.
    Most people won't make power that high. I didn't until I had a custom header, exhaust and intake made, and of course the IPS cams as well. You have to spend plenty of money for the right cams and supporting mods before its worth it to spin that high, but the bottom end just isn't as limiting as some people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Moments View Post
    Most people won't make power that high. I didn't until I had a custom header, exhaust and intake made, and of course the IPS cams as well. You have to spend plenty of money for the right cams and supporting mods before its worth it to spin that high, but the bottom end just isn't as limiting as some people think.
    You may be right here sir. I'd love to see more instances where the stock k24s getted revved higher. You are completely right about the powerband. It does take the right setup to put down the ponies that high up.

i rev mine to 7700 with 15 pounds of boost and it was still making power on the dyno

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    i rev mine to 7700 with 15 pounds of boost and it was still making power on the dyno
    What motor are you running? Don't you have a stock k24a1 bottom w/ an a2 head?

I was revving my k24a1 @10lbs to 7500

Why can't I rev my K24a1/a3/a4 higher?
    The bottom end is actually the limiting factor. When you rev too high the pistons no longer just move up and down...they begin to move eliptically and that is where you will see problems. The pistons in a k24 are moving faster @ 7k rpms than a s2000's pistons are moving @ 9k rpms. You don't need to rev high to make power in any of these motors. Unlike a k20 where you have to get up to 4k or 5k rpms before power is made, a k24 will make power from 2k all the way to redline. To sum it up if you must rev higher then you need forged pistons and rods and then top it off with a micropolished tsx(K24a2) crank. If you are counting pennies then you could always swap in the pistons and rods from a tsx too since they are fairly beefy.

What do you guys think about this in comparison?

What motor are you running? Don't you have a stock k24a1 bottom w/ an a2 head?
    yes

The bottom end is actually the limiting factor. When you rev too high the pistons no longer just move up and down...they begin to move eliptically and that is where you will see problems. The pistons in a k24 are moving faster @ 7k rpms than a s2000's pistons are moving @ 9k rpms. You don't need to rev high to make power in any of these motors. Unlike a k20 where you have to get up to 4k or 5k rpms before power is made, a k24 will make power from 2k all the way to redline. To sum it up if you must rev higher then you need forged pistons and rods and then top it off with a micropolished tsx(K24a2) crank. If you are counting pennies then you could always swap in the pistons and rods from a tsx too since they are fairly beefy.

whats the difference in all k-series cranks

Sounds good

Specifically I don't know. But I know the tsx crank is alot better for higher revs. Someone else chime in here.

Specifically I don't know. But I know the tsx crank is alot better for higher revs. Someone else chime in here.
    I'm in the same boat you are. I've been told that the tsx crank is better, but nobody has ever said why exactly. Until fairly recently I was under the assumption that all the K24 cranks were the same.

subscribed I want to build a big block!!!

so what is assumed to be better k24a2 or a a2 crank?
    i saw in a magazine that they did a frank build in and it said the k24a1 crank was the same as the k20a2:noidea:
    Last edited by Guardian; 05-07-2008 at 11:02 AM.

The a1 and a2 cranks definitely have different part #'s. But that may mean nothing, you know how Honda/Acura rolls.

I think Doug mentioned the CRV crank could be as good as a stock TSX crank if it was polished and re-balanced... but i dont think he mentioned where he got that info.

I havent ran across anything stating this to be true on k20a... but that isnt to say its the only place correct info can be found either.

hey davis,

add some information on :
    RBC clearance
    k24a2 waterport mod
    type-s pump install
    k20z3 heads on k24a
    transmission swaps

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information