Close

3" Intake Install

Hey everyone. This is my first post so excuse me if its in the wrong topic.

Ok, I made a 3" Intake at work yesterday and it looks great and fits great but theres one problem with it.

When I was making it i ran out of time and had to go home without making a brace for it, so today i got to work early opend up shop and started making the brace. Well I tacked it on and when I removed the intake it was really hot near the throttle body.

I do not know if all intakes for this car are like this but how do I avoid the intake sitting on the coolant line which runs in front of the throttle body. I looked at it for about 20 mins and couldnt figure out how to move the line so its not heating up my intake or kinking the line at the same time. Here are pics to show you what I mean.

How much did it cost in material, cause id totally pay you, i wish ebay sold kockoff shortrams too, not just ko cai's. Seriously, im looking for an intake that i can easily switch out, unlike my AEM cai. I would pay you, if not a whole lot

some kind of heat wrap around the pipe in that area, or just do the whole pipe, since short rams are the most likely to cause you to lose horsepower do to heat soak. Or use some kind of brace that pushes it down alittle away from the pipe, like the stock elbow does

Or you could use some plastic coat type paint to help ward off heat.

Ninja edit: they make some wraps that are designed for SR intakes and they velcro on to the pipe
    Last edited by dashehonda; 04-24-2008 at 06:01 AM.

I thought there were ebay short rams? I know for a while I was running one. My friend just gave it to me so IDK where he got it or who he got it from, but it was definitely ebay.

Here is a part that will fix your problem.
    http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/GTE-21229-p-CSH.html

For me all I paid for was the cone. The rest I made at work. I work at a Mandrel Bending Exhaust Shop. We do exhaust, Intakes and Intercooler piping set-ups all day. But If I were to guess Id say...

$25.00 for the cone
    $15.00 For the Stainless Pipe
    $2.00 For the vacuum hose

The remaining fittings and stuff were just extra parts laying around the shop.

I know its not pretty but we ran out of argon for the tig welder so I had to mig it together.

BTW:

If I were to extend it where would I take it to? I see no room back there other than the wheel well (which I do not want it there due to sucking in water) and I dont want to go closer to the header/manifold area.

In that direction you can't extend it anywhere. The only place you can send it is below the battery in front of the tranny.

I tried that but with the 3" Intake and the limitations of our machines I was getting too close to the golf putter.

Thread Information