Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by av8ter View Post
    I didn't follow you here if that is what you were wondering lol. I contacted you before through PMs about a friend looking at EP3s. Well he finally found one so we are starting to plan it out.

I used the full format XT25s in my integra along with my exclusive 7~'' peerless. I did cross them a little bit lower but that was because of the chamber in the full format.

I think I'll have him pick up a pair of these and I'll let him run my Exclusives to get him going.

Also tooling around with throwing a 3-4'' mid/fullrange in the a-pillar. Ever though about a 3-way in your car?

Thanks for the help man. I'm sure we'll be in contact more as his build gets underway.
    There was a guy long ago doing a 3 way in an EP but I really don't feel that its's necessary, the stock locations are rather forgiving and easy to get good results out of. car is not big enough to really go putting boobs on a-pillars for mids. Shoot for 2 way first, you may be suprised. I'll look up my TA settings sometime for you.
    Made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

Cool beans. I am sure the 2-way will still get the job done real nice. He wouldn't be too thrilled anyway about spending extra money on processing, amplification, and drivers. I got a TC9 that needs a recone so maybe he'll try that as a 10'' or 12'' for a sub.

He is thinking about springing for a Leviathan while they are still on sale. Headunit is still up in the air though. He has his eyes on 9853s, 7889s, 9855s and 9887s.

I'm still rocking the 9887 and happy with it. Do not bundle ANY signal wiring with the stock harness, go out the side of the console and straight down the passenger FOOTWELL.
    Last edited by Chad; 11-10-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Couple quick questions before we start installing stuff...

Did you remove the XT25's flange before cutting it down? I just picked up a new pair off DIYMA for him for $35 shipped which is a steal, but I still don't want to ruin a tweeter in the process of this modification.

Did you run 2 sets of speaker wire into each door? What speaker wire did you use? I am anticipating much trouble during this part.

Thanks Chad,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by av8ter View Post
    Couple quick questions before we start installing stuff...

Did you remove the XT25's flange before cutting it down? I just picked up a new pair off DIYMA for him for $35 shipped which is a steal, but I still don't want to ruin a tweeter in the process of this modification.

Did you run 2 sets of speaker wire into each door? What speaker wire did you use? I am anticipating much trouble during this part.

Thanks Chad,

Kevin
    Nope, did not remove the flange, went at it like a goofball with a bench grinder, then after the rough stuff was done did the rest by hand with a dremel sanding drum. Jsut take your sweet time, you'll be allright. the material works nicely. If you go too fast you will get melty goo blobs that are like tar comets. You will find out really fast how hot they are ;)

2 sets of wire into the door, I used either 14Ga or 16Ga ebay stuff, just make sure you are actually getting what they advertise. There is no molex in the door, you can go right thru the boot with some dish soap as lube, or conduit KY. Biggest PITA was cutting the inner skin to accommodate a (then) 7" driver. you need to cut the center towards the kickpanel as you need to move the driver that direction. I used pneumatic nibbers, holy shit what a mess getting all those metal chunks out.

Chad

One last question Chad(thanks for all the helpful insight btw)...

We just finished running the two runs of 16awg into the doors.

About to run the power wire(1/0, just wanted to make sure we didn't have to upgrade down the road). Any secret place to run it through the firewall? Is a grommet required?

He ordered up the new ScanSpeak Discover 4ohm 180mm to try in the door. Those coupled with the neo XT25s and still undecided on a 250rms-500rms sub and amps.

Once again, thanks for saving us all the time by pioneering this one for us...

Kevin

If it does not have fog lights and you don't plan on fog lights then there's a plug inthe drivers footwell that goes into the fender. I used that, THEN decided on fogs and had to drill a hole, that's some nasty-ass doubled up metal in there. Not an easy task. But it's a damn clean run back there if you can use it. I only ran 4Ga, it's been just fine, more than fine in reality considering that it's just music and not a constant load (and not a long run)

Chad,
    This is av8ter's friend with the ep3. Were doing my install right now and were having trouble with getting the top part of the dash off. Do far we got the bracket screws off and now errr trying to get the 90* screws out. Is that necessary? What's next. Thanks

Zack

Quote Originally Posted by whoisasdf View Post
    Chad,
    This is av8ter's friend with the ep3. Were doing my install right now and were having trouble with getting the top part of the dash off. Do far we got the bracket screws off and now errr trying to get the 90* screws out. Is that necessary? What's next. Thanks

Zack
    The bottom pops off (which you likely found out) then in there you need to LOOSEN the 2 bolts (either 7 or 8 MM) that are holding the metal assembly to the inner dash. after that you can carefully pop the assembly out remembering that the HVAC wiring is still connected.

Doorpanels

Thanks for the help with the dash. Now were on to putting the mids in the doors. We have the panels off, wires ran in the doors and speaker ring made. We're about to cut into the doors. We were just wondering where exactly you trimmed the doors and if you had to trim the door panels at all.

Thanks

Used 3/4" MDF spacers on mine. Did not have to cut into the door or door panel at all.

Mine were just a TOUCH over 3/4" for the seas. remember that the spacer wil change the driver geopmetry so you mat not have to cut at all. My cutting was at the edge in the angle of the kick panel so I could move the driver that direction, I was shoving a 7" in there at the time and a pretty deep one at that.

If you need more than 3/4" then make 2 rings per, glue them together and let them dry, then set the gate of your table saw to the depth and roll them thru the saw CAREFULLY. Void free ply will hold up better than MDF, HDPE really rocks.

We made them out of 1/2'' MDF, doubled up. The top ring the exact outer diameter of the mid(180mm), and the bottom just a little bit bigger to accommodate for four mounting points to screw the adapters to the door.

Finished mine today..

I built mine very tight to the back seat...so to open the sides up, you need to crack the back seat open a bit before the sides can open. Also really need to move my amp badly...the box is very tight against it. Above my strut bar, I'm gonna keep my HKS umbrella so it will be nice and stealth too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Finished mine today..

I built mine very tight to the back seat...so to open the sides up, you need to crack the back seat open a bit before the sides can open. Also really need to move my amp badly...the box is very tight against it. Above my strut bar, I'm gonna keep my HKS umbrella so it will be nice and stealth too.
    SWEET! I have to pop my seats forward too, but it really does not bother me as I'm under there so seldom.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information