Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tried this last night, so far still no luck in getting the clips at the bottom off, any tips? I can get em to turn, but the fuckers WONT BUDGE!
    ;)

Quote Originally Posted by dmon View Post
    the way i took mine out...

i got a BIG flat head screw driver. like the ones thats 1' long. den i put it on the tab, and used the shifter for something to push on, and it should slide out. i tried it with just my hands and stuff, but its two hard. when i buss out the flat head, went like butter

good luck man
    listen to this guy..!!! i did and it took me 20 minutes to install the shifter.. easy if you do it this way..!! ill post pictures..

so this is how it looks like right..

now you do this..

i used a big pry bar. and just twisted the tab using the cable itself as a back.. the driver side cable gets twisted clock wise and the passanger side cable gets twisted counter clockwise..

this id the driverside cable once its twisted and ready to come of...

SORRY ABOUT THE BIG PICTURES I JUST NOTICED ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVING A HARD TIME.. OH YEA.AND BEFORE I FIGURED IT OUT THERE WAS ALOT OF CURSING INVOLVED..

THIS IS AFTER THE HARD PART BEFORE THE LOCKING METAL THINGIES..LOL THE LITTLE METAL SPRINGS THAT LOCK THE WIRES TO THE SHIFTER..DONT FORGET TO INSTALL THIS.. WIRES WILL DISCONECT WHILE DRIVING..

then since i had the center dash covers off i desided to do the other DIY and painted it black...

second coat.. still needing two more coats...

from time i got in the car to the time i installed everything..it took me 1hr.. that included having to go to the store for the paint and dry time..

hope this helps you guys out..
    oh and yea i think its worth the buck.. i love this shifter stiffer and shorter and it comes with an extention but i didnt use it so my shift knob sits lower and i love the way it looks....pm if any questions..
    Last edited by goldEp; 04-16-2010 at 05:45 AM.

Easiest way is to take out the center console and reach up from the bottom.. I can take mine out in have it back in about 15 min.

Quote Originally Posted by 02EP3SI View Post
    Easiest way is to take out the center console and reach up from the bottom.. I can take mine out in have it back in about 15 min.
    man speaks truth. That's how I did mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 02EP3SI View Post
    this! you can even take out those 2 metal brakets behind the accessory socket for more room. this is best way to get access to the bottom of the shifter. it requires a little more time to take the console out, but its worth it.
    Last edited by powdbyrice; 09-25-2008 at 11:16 PM.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

idk.. i installed the shifter in 20 min total..only reason it took me an hr is couse i painted the dash peice also..the screw driver trick takes two minutes for both sides..that was the easiest way for me...
    Last edited by Hasbro; 09-25-2008 at 11:02 PM.

installed mines today and i love it..... took about an hour because the driver side cable didn't wana go in so i had to get hardcore with it haha... used the prying with a big flathead and worked out great....what is the lube for??

Shifts nice now I just need the bushings

by the far one of the best upgrades i ever did for my car, i have this along with a skunk2 knob and shifter bushings....perfect feel

just finished installing bcss. wat a pain in the a$$ is was. i used the screwdriver method too and the driver side cable didnt wanna move at all. i ended up taking my whole center console (where ebrake is located) apart to try nd get to it from underneath, i ended up being able to access it thru the 12v hole after i removed it. it was a pain but well worth it. shifts are much smoother and reduced throw by about 25-30%.

ok Im about to do this as well
    tnx for the write up

Goldep...how did you take off all the knobs from the center piece before you painted them
    Quote Originally Posted by nmysiismyn View Post
    Ecclesiastes 1:9
    "What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun."

-King Solomon

They're all held on with Phillips screws from the back of the panel. Just unscrew, and pull the actual knobs off the front, and the whole thing will pop right out.
    The climate control knobs are what I'm talking about, that run vertically up the left side. The knobs are indexed, too, so no worries about putting them on crooked.

As for the buttons along the bottom (AC/Recirc./Defogger) should be even easier, just unscrew the assembly, pop it off.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    They're all held on with Phillips screws from the back of the panel. Just unscrew, and pull the actual knobs off the front, and the whole thing will pop right out.
    The climate control knobs are what I'm talking about, that run vertically up the left side. The knobs are indexed, too, so no worries about putting them on crooked.

As for the buttons along the bottom (AC/Recirc./Defogger) should be even easier, just unscrew the assembly, pop it off.
    AWESOME

tnx bud

Im gonna take them off and see what I want to do with the center piece...either vinyl wrap of send the off to dip-tech for cf paint...
    Quote Originally Posted by nmysiismyn View Post
    Ecclesiastes 1:9
    "What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun."

-King Solomon

Thanks for the tips guys, my install took about an hour .. same screwdriver trick and I also remove the hvac/radio piece to save my knuckles

So how do you remove the center console?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information