Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Motor Build

My Motor Build

Going to recreate this thread here since the bottom end finally got delivered today.

For those that don't remember I blew my s/c K24A2 at the racetrack in February. I might not have actually had to go the full build route, but I did anyway.

The bottom end was built by ERL Performance out of New Albany, In. If anyone is considering doing a serious engine build I cannot reccomend them strongly enough.

For the interested here are the details

K24 Block with ERL Superdeck 1 system. Block is decked, hot tanked, stress relieved etc...

JE 88mm 10.0:1 compression pistons and rings. Dry film lubricant on piston skirt and thermal barrier on piston face.
    Crower Billet K24 Rods
    ACL race main bearings (Coated)
    ACL race rod bearings (Coated)
    ACL Thrust washers
    K24 crank balanced and micropolished

ERL will be be blueprinting and assembling the short block for me.

To go on top of this I have a K20A2 head that has had a mild PNP job done to it mainly on the exhaust side. It has also had the combustion chambers, valve faces and exhaust ports coated with a thermal barrier coating. The head will have the IPS Ksc cams I already have in it along with the Eibach valve springs and Supertech Ti retainers. This will all be topped off with the JRSC.

I was originally going to go with Wiseco 11.1:1 pistons but they weren't going to be available for nearly another month and I didn't want to miss that much of the race season. I'm giving up a point of compression with the JE pistons, but honestly that may be all to the good for reliabilities sake.

This will also be running the A2 oil pump, oil pan with Hytech baffles in it, and a 2 quart Accusump. Hopefully I won't have to build another motor for a while.

Here are the pics in no particular order

Last edited by Lucid Moments; 04-26-2008 at 06:51 AM.

Sounds like it should be a monster on the track!

Greenwood Village, Colorado, United States
    you know I wanna see pictures of this!!!
    mods:

Stuff

I'll get pics up tonight or tomorrow and update. I'm at work right now. I actually had it shipped to my work. Boss thought it was funny having an engine block delivered to a Credit Union

Cant wait to see this monster run!
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Greenwood Village, Colorado, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Moments View Post
    I'll get pics up tonight or tomorrow and update. I'm at work right now. I actually had it shipped to my work. Boss thought it was funny having an engine block delivered to a Credit Union
    hahaha.. thats classic!!!! lol
    mods:

Stuff

cant wait to see it, sounds sweet

looks like a crazy build, you must have a dd for sure. Question: why did the moto blow was it the buld the components, driver just wondering why.

Can wait to see it.

Banned
    In for

Quote Originally Posted by SPAM&RICE View Post
    looks like a crazy build, you must have a dd for sure. Question: why did the moto blow was it the buld the components, driver just wondering why.
    Yea, I've got a 96 accord that I beat back and forth to work in.

As best we've been able to determine I had an exhaust leak that was causing the #1 cylinder to run lean and it burned up the spark plug and dropped the electrode into the cylinder.

We know the sparkplug dropped the electrode into the cylinder, and we also know I had an exhaust leak. The actual cause and effect is just an educated guess, but the exhaust leak was the only thing different about the car from me running it all last year so we're fairly sure that was the cause.

Sweet can't wait for those pics. Sounds like you should be set strong this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Moments View Post

K24 Block with ERL Superdeck 1 system. Block is decked, hot tanked, stress relieved etc...
    Can you explain. How much of a compression increase can you expect by having the block decked? And what is "stress relieved"; what is the process?

sorry if it is a stupid question!

Quote Originally Posted by RON View Post
    Can you explain. How much of a compression increase can you expect by having the block decked? And what is "stress relieved"; what is the process?

sorry if it is a stupid question!
    It all depends on how much they take off. In this case I don't expect a significant increase in compression because all they did was to make sure the deck was perfectly flat.

As for the stress relieved I'm not sure exactly how they do it. The purpose is to make sure that the stresses are evenly distributed around the motor. I would think they do it by heat cycling the motor after its been machined, but I don't know that.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    I'm drooling to see your and Dougs builds Mr. Kelley. Can't wait to see the finished results. Hows the NASA season going to go?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information