Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    2002 EP & 2013 FB - K24 all day! SinisterCivicSi's Avatar

K24a4 Swap (accord) - Whats Needed

There isnt much info out for this swap since its not a popular choice to swap. i recently put this motor in my car and am VERY happy with the results. not only did i choose this motor for its fuel economy, i also chose it for the price - you can pick one up usually for under 800 bucks!

K24a4 Specs:

- 2,354 cc 2.4 liters in-line 4 front engine
    - 87 mm bore, 99 mm stroke
    - 9.7 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing
    - Unleaded fuel 87
    - Fuel economy: EPA highway - 34mpg -- EPA city - 24mpg
    - Multi-point injection fuel system
    - Power: 119 kW , 160 HP SAE @ 5,500 rpm; 161 ft lb, 218 Nm @ 4,500 rpm

here is some info that will help others that want to do this swap, but had a hard time finding the info as i did.

Parts To Order:

CR-V Side Motor Mount - 11910-PPA-000 (Part #1)

EGR Port Plate - 18711-PM1-J00

EGR Gasket - 18715-PB2-000

EGR bolts (2) - 95701-08025-08

Thermostat Coolant Line O-Ring - 91315-PNA-003

Parts Needed from your A3:

Coolant Housing
    Thermostat
    Water Pump
    Coolant Lines
    Serpintine Belt
    Altenator
    Mounts (all except what the CRV replaces)
    Wire Harness
    2002 ep3 oem front sway (03-05 wont fit) OR 02-04 civic ex front sway (both fit)

Additional Parts:

DC5 (type s) header (ep3 rh wont fit for some reason)
    Type S midpipe (unless you have your ep3 one cut to fit)
    Kpro

i will update this thread with more info if i get it, since the old thread was typed right after the swap, i might have forgotten a few things in this one. hope this helps out!

May wind Oct. rain
    Non-popular? I think the K24A1 and K24A4 are the 2 most commonly swapped engines, only because you can get a short-block for as low and $300; re-sleeve the bitch (depending on how bad the walls are), swap out for TSX parts and call it a day =)

thats why i picked one up... because it was so inexpensive! i have been asked why i went this route with the motor because of the "no vtec" but i dont really care, she's cammed.

thanx 4 the info. did you have a clip on the right side of the motor not go anywhere cuz there is a cylindrical object with a female end for a sensor but my wiring harness doesnt have the clip. and i have that part that bolts to the motor from the crv but the part that connects that to the bracket on the body wont fit its like the holes arent far enough apart?? and did u change the upper radiator hpse b/c b4 it went into the motor from underneath but now the black male end point up not down so i did some modding.

ephatch member
    Your a3 mid pipe should fit. I ran my mid pipe from my a3 for six months and had no problems. Good info btw.

Quote Originally Posted by grindin gears View Post
    thanx 4 the info. did you have a clip on the right side of the motor not go anywhere cuz there is a cylindrical object with a female end for a sensor but my wiring harness doesnt have the clip. and i have that part that bolts to the motor from the crv but the part that connects that to the bracket on the body wont fit its like the holes arent far enough apart?? and did u change the upper radiator hpse b/c b4 it went into the motor from underneath but now the black male end point up not down so i did some modding.
    are you referring to the egr port? looks like a coffee grinder? i call it my expresso machine. yeah you have to remove that stuff and the links for the parts you need are in post #1. they are very inexpensive.

as for the side motor mount bracket, make sure you have the right one. honda sent me the wrong one the first time and it didnt fit either. check the link i posted in #1 and you will see the picture of the mount you need. if you have the top motor mount - its the wrong one. you can use your ep top mount... you just need the crv SIDE mount.

i didnt change any radiator hoses, i used all the ep coolant housings, parts and lines. you cannot use the a4 tstat, water pump or the coolant lines...they wont bolt up... trust me we tried.

Quote Originally Posted by JP_909 View Post
    Your a3 mid pipe should fit. I ran my mid pipe from my a3 for six months and had no problems. Good info btw.

now this is the tricky part.... because the motor sits taller, some applications wont fit - they will hit your swaybar. HOWEVER... we kinda found out by accident that the 2002 front oem sway is the ONLY oem sway for the ep that will clear a type s race header for this swap. others were buying a civic ex oem sway and if you get the 02 ep sway, that should fit with no issues.

now as for the midpipe, the ep and dc5 should be very similiar if not identical in the bends (not the diameter, the dc5 is bigger). i used a type s midpipe w/ the type s race header so i didnt have to worry about an ep midpipe. the only ep part i used in the exhaust was the oem axleback - until i had my hks cut to fit the race header.

ephatch member
    Yeah my civic is an 02.

can you run a k24a4 on a stock ecu w/ upgraded fuel injectors (310cc)?

Quote Originally Posted by 04cvcsi View Post
    can you run a k24a4 on a stock ecu w/ upgraded fuel injectors (310cc)?
    the a4 comes with the same ones as the ep (270s??) so you can run the a4 on a a3 ecu but the compression ratio is very slightly different... since the ep is 9.8:1 and the a4 is 9.7:1 there might be some a/f ratio issues, but i am not 100% on that.

doug/mel/joe or any other swap guru... you guys wanna chime in on this one?

I am not sure on this, they have the same camshafts as the A1, but alot different pistons and head design. I do know the K24A1 can use the RSX injectors and a EP3 ECU as long as it has minimal bolt-ons, as the K24's respond exceptionally well to bolt-ons.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

yes they do! i cant wait to get a dyno.

and as for the a3 and a4 head design, i heard they were very similiar... its the a1 and a2's that are very different. we were going to use my a3 head until we confirmed the a4 was ok. once we found out it was good, i opted for the head with less miles, which was the a4. 40K > 110K

but doug is the expert over me by leaps and bounds, i would go with his suggestions over my own. lol

i just want my car to run reliable w/ some moderate bolt-ons (cai/rh/e/stg 1 cams)

my "theoretical" solution to running lean is to use a vafc II to NOT change the vtec crossover point but to add some more fuel to the mix (atop of upgraded injectors). i heard the vafc II is made to adjust well w/ the i-vtec systems. i'm not ready to drop 1k on kpro...

i have an a3 right now but i'm just curious to see if it's feasible with the a1/a4

MaNtEQuiLLA/K-SQUADD ALL MotoR Ep3's Avatar
    I luv k24's they run good and strong......they make your ep3 move just like how you want it to move...definitely worth the money...:thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by 04cvcsi View Post
    i just want my car to run reliable w/ some moderate bolt-ons (cai/rh/e/stg 1 cams)

my "theoretical" solution to running lean is to use a vafc II to NOT change the vtec crossover point but to add some more fuel to the mix (atop of upgraded injectors). i heard the vafc II is made to adjust well w/ the i-vtec systems. i'm not ready to drop 1k on kpro...

i have an a3 right now but i'm just curious to see if it's feasible with the a1/a4
    Yeah the k24a4 should respond well with the 310 injectors and stock a3 ecu, BUT from what I have seen almost any bolt ons is gonna run lean. I have not worked with a VAFC but we can give it a shot. We need something to add fuel if you are dropping in the bolt ons and especially cams.

I have heard of some issues with the vafc and compatibility with the K-series ECU's.

It may work ok for small changes, but I wouldnt rely on it to keep a engine healthy.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information